So The Ghostbusters Embargo was lifted and oh dear

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
inu-kun said:
Anyways, yeah it sucked, pretty much everyone who've seen the trailer knew it will suck and it's nice to know it really does suck.
Did anyone for a single moment even suspect it would be anything else? I mean hell Sony's entire marketing campaign pretty much being a desperate attempt to paint the movie's detractors as sexist misogynist men despite the fact every trailer looked terrible and the negative reaction was pretty evenly split between men and women, to say nothing of the fact a big name YouTuber who is a women attacked the movie relentlessly without any media attention, but a man said he simply wouldn't see it because it doesn't look good led to a media-led harassment campaign.

This was something no rational thinking person could have possibly expected would end any other way given how everyone financially involved was acting.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
For the record, OP's premise seems a bit flawed [https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/]. 76% positive with a 6.6 average isn't great, but it's not nearly as awful as the people who desperately want the film to fail seemed to believe it would be.

The original [https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters/] has an 8.2 average, with a 3.6/5 user average.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
RT has it at 76% Fresh [https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/], with three times the amount of fresh reviews compared to rotten. Oh dear, indeed. Seems to be that it isn't as good as the original - but then very few films are.

Anyway, I'll wait until our own Marter reviews it.

EDIT: Curse you, shrek! =P

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
RT has it at 76% Fresh [https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/], with three times the amount of fresh reviews compared to rotten. Oh dear, indeed. Seems to be that it isn't as good as the original - but then very few films are.

Anyway, I'll wait until our own Marter reviews it.

EDIT: Curse you, shrek! =P
Your avatar is ever so relevant, Shandy!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
inu-kun said:
It's pretty annoying that the only people who use the term SJW nowdays here are people strawmening the term as a personnal attack rather then unironically using it. Anyways, yeah it sucked, pretty much everyone who've seen the trailer knew it will suck and it's nice to know it really does suck.
Is it really nice? Really? You want the movie to be shit? Because while I had no hopes for it being good, I'm not glad it sucks. I'd like for it to have been the breakout hit of the summer, and actually be a good movie worth our time. To hear it's just as bad as we feared is sad, not nice.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
These are two badly picked cherries you have there mate. Don't get me wrong, I have zero desire to see this movie, it just feels so lazy and pointless like any and all comedies that are made now-a-days, the reviews seem to indicate it's not even as low as a mediocre comedy. The reviews seem to be saying it is a slightly above average comedy. That's not enough to make me go see it certainly, but even so, these little cherries of yours are doing no help for whatever it is you're trying to do, unless it's just to ruffle some feathers with the low levels of research done here, in which, congrats, do you want a prize?

In all honesty, I do want to see this film do poorly simply due to the producer generalizing that all the detractors were sexists or racists or whatever, because anyone that acts like that deserves to crash and burn as many times as possible(because he seems to be in the business of it), but all in all it did provide at least some form of relief to know that not every time a company does a gender swap that they're simply stopping there and being lazy about everything else about the project and just hoping that being "progressive" will carry it entirely, because I feel that sets progress back further. Poorly trying to be inclusive causes more harm than good, as it only serves to toot the horns of a few vocal progressives, and further vindicates the opposition by letting them point at that thing to further prove their prejudice of someone not being good enough because of arbitrary reason. That's why I'm so much more against the idea of gender swapping, because often the people behind it just run with that afterwards with no further thought or effort, hoping that the name and progressiveness will carry it entirely, rather than actually putting the time and effort to make a good character of X background.

This was probably a poorly done rant, but it's something that I've wanted to say for a while. I agree with a lot of the general ideas of the progressive movement, I just think the methods being used are setting the movement back as a whole far more than the opposition ever could, and it infuriates me more because at least when I have a bigot call me a fag, I can just ignore it, but when it's the community itself giving them more ammo, it's like they're the ones calling me a fag and getting pissed at me because I'm not doing enough to end the hate.

So, maybe I take back that I want this movie to do poorly, because it's at least doing above average of most movies, which is better than most of the projects can even hope for because of the corporate staff that makes them, but I'm still iffy about the project on the whole to the point where I still don't care to give money to it myself. Whatever happens, happens.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Are people masturbating to the failure of Ghostbusters now? I think there are better things to beat off to

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Eh. The movie being received moderately well doesn't change anything about the fact on how troubled/controversial making it was, and everything around it.

Oct 12, 2011
Pluvia said:
Given how the reviews don't seem to be that bad so far, are we honestly getting worked up about a 76% fresh film?

Like, I take it our new baseline for a terrible film is anything below 80% good reviews?
Given that we seem to live in a time period where people assume any viedo game that doesn't get a 10/10 is a failure. . . . .yeah, probably.

As for my take on the whole thing? The film stars comedians I don't find funny, telling jokes that I don't find funny, in what seems to be a lowest-common-denominator comedy (a film genre I don't find funny), so I never had any plans to see it.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
It's still terrible for not being Blaxploitationbusters!
Parasondox said:
Well, I dunno. I am not in the thread making game anymore.
YOU'RE WHAT?
Are cats and dogs living together in harmony too?!?

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
inu-kun said:
It's pretty annoying that the only people who use the term SJW nowdays here are people strawmening the term as a personnal attack rather then unironically using it. Anyways, yeah it sucked, pretty much everyone who've seen the trailer knew it will suck and it's nice to know it really does suck.
Is it really nice? Really? You want the movie to be shit? Because while I had no hopes for it being good, I'm not glad it sucks. I'd like for it to have been the breakout hit of the summer, and actually be a good movie worth our time. To hear it's just as bad as we feared is sad, not nice.
Worry not, critic consensus is mostly that it's a decent film which unfortunately falls short of the original.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Given the hyperbolic complaints I kept reading in the News section of this forum, I was expecting Pixels level bad.

Given I like good movies more than bad, I'm glad.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Andy Shandy said:
74% now. And...wait a minute.

That's over 20% worse than the original! My God this film must be terrible! Oh, why has my childhood been ruined as such (first saw Ghostbusters as an adult, but whatever)? How dare they not make a film as good, if not better than the original? Shame, shame, and more shame!

In all seriousness, maybe the OP was genuine in his assertion, but is 74% a case for "oh dear?"

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Haven't seen it, not planning to see it; the genderpolitics surrounding it has soured me on the whole thing, never mind that the trailer made it look like a "modern" comedy, which I generally despise.

I'll just rewatch Fury Road instead.