So the R rated Extended Cut of Batman v Superman will come to Theaters.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
twistedmic said:
Lucane said:
If i recall correctly only two known people have been branded by the bat but that was back before we knew as the audience he was okay with killing criminals in the streets so it's kind of a moot point in the aftermath of it all to Bruce or it should be at least... Why would Alfred even bring it up with concern if this Universe's Batman is already okay with killing people anyway?... gah more inconsistency in the writing.
From what I recall, Batman only killed a handful of criminals in certain situations-
He killed when he was trying to hijack the Kryptonite shipment to make a weapon to kill Superman if/when he tried to destroy the world (fairly extreme situation).
He also killed when he was rescuing Superman's mother (and possibly his own by proxy/symbolically), and even then the person he directly and deliberately killed (the guy with the flamethrower) he didn't have very many options to get himself and Martha out of the room alive. Yes, two guys were blown up by a grenade that Batman kicked towards them, but they threw the grenade in the first place and there's not much you can do to dispose of a live grenade on such short notice (Batman kicking it away could possibly have been sheer reflex).

So while Batman did kill in this movie, when he was shown to have grown crueler, more violent and more unhinged than previous versions, he did not kill to the extent of the Punisher, Judge Dredd, Robocop or any number of comic book and movie characters.
I wasn't trying to say he killed everyone all the time but during this movie he never showed remorse about it or the guy he branded which again I believe was recently started but was Alfred stressing the fact he died after being sparred or the part that Bruce Branded him? Bruce threatens to Brand Lex as a death sentence if you will, but that means He isn't a stranger to killing people unless he's been working up to that in the past 18 months since superman showed up.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
springheeljack said:
Why are people talking about this movie like it was a box office bomb? It has been extremely successful though no doubt less profitable then they originally intended
To break even they needed a billion dollars, now it's currently a hair under $800 million which is not small potatoes to be sure but when you start subtracting it's budget of $250 million (according to BOM) you're left with $550 mil. Okay, not bad but then we need to look at the movie theatre's cut, let's say charitably $3 per $10 ticket. Now hopefully my maths isn't shit that's about 165,000,000 [(3/10)x550,000,000 was my formula, correct if wrong].

So, 550,000,000 - 165,000,000 = 385,000,000....eeeesh.

Now the tricky as shit part - marketing. This is a process so damn arcane I don't doubt the real life Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate are in charge of this. If I recall correctly BvS has been marketing up the fiery ring-piece for the better part of a year before it's debut and that included some prime tv time during the last Superbowl which is not cheap. So depending on what this cost then that figure shrinks even more.

Now it's no like Marvel hasn't lost money: Captain America and Thor both got on by the skin of their teeth, in fact The First Avenger may well have been a loss when all was said and done, but thankfully had both Iron Man movies and then The Avengers to fill the gaps on the ledger and made both character's sequels far more profitable.

The movie has done alright, but as something that was meant to springboard them into direct cultural relevance and market competition with Marvel Studios it hasn't exactly been the runaway success they wanted.