So the tumblr and 4chan war..did 4chan go too far?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Jim Trailerpark said:
I'm sorry but all I think about is one big ass cripple fight that nobody is taking seriously
As someone who actually uses Tumblr i find this whole conversation confusing.

I have seen NOTHING from 4 chan. Nothing. I even tried to find some of their attacks for shits and giggles. I simply cant find any of this.

You see plenty of threats of what they are doing but tbh i dont even believe they did this more than once or twice. I just havnt seen any evidence they did anything they said they did. Im just confused and a tad disappointed i couldnt find any stupid fights to watch with morbid fascination.

Sep 13, 2009
I laughed when I heard about a "war" between Tumblr and 4chan. It's... websites. Are we really going to start being nationalistic over websites? But at the same time...
Sarah Kerrigan said:
-Switch links who for helpful sites for people suffering with depression, anxiety, ect with horror images
Yeah! Take that social justice! We'll prove how ridiculous the notion is is by demonstrating just how much of a need there is for it #ImSoEdgy #Misanthropy #DeathToSJWs #Literally

...Seriously, who came out and decided "Hey, want to try to push some depressed people over the edge for the sake of some petty feud?"

What's next? Replacing the address for women's shelters with strip clubs?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Signa said:
Of course they've gone too far. War and death are always too extreme for merely opposing ideals.

Oh wait, no one's been hurt and each side is just mind-fucking each other? This just in: Girl's sleepover pillow fight went too far! A pillow was torn open! Damages estimated in the tens of dollars.
It was necessary sacrifice to preserve our glorious freedom. Pillow will not be forgotten.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I laughed when I heard about a "war" between Tumblr and 4chan. It's... websites. Are we really going to start being nationalistic over websites? But at the same time...
Sarah Kerrigan said:
-Switch links who for helpful sites for people suffering with depression, anxiety, ect with horror images
Yeah! Take that social justice! We'll prove how ridiculous the notion is is by demonstrating just how much of a need there is for it #ImSoEdgy #Misanthropy #DeathToSJWs #Literally

...Seriously, who came out and decided "Hey, want to try to push some depressed people over the edge for the sake of some petty feud?"

What's next? Replacing the address for women's shelters with strip clubs?
Considering what I hear about Tumblr, 90% Of those people on tumblr suffering from "Depression, Anxiety" And everything else are either self diagnosed, or diagnosed by someone else on tumblr.

These are also the same type of people that claim they can get PTSD from viewing an image they don't like. So yea. I don't really care about them all that much.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I haven't seen anything to indicate any sort of war, other than it being mentioned in a few places. I don't think I've seen anything blown out of proportion this much since the ME3 debacle. (Yes, I went there.)

I'm sort of in the camp of assholes wishing for more confrontation between the two, just to be able to laugh at the smoldering corpses on each side.

SirDerpy

May 4, 2013
That's a pretty good assessment of 4chan's modus operandi. That's literally what they do.

And also, there really aren't that many depressed people in the world, not nearly enough to fill up half of Tumblr. Besides, going to Tumblr for depressed help sites are just kind of...eh...why don't they get real-world help, or, at least use Google or something?

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
It's 4Chan. Of course they went too far. They're a bunch of children who don't know when to stop.
I admit, I am bias in favour of Tumblr, as that's a place I frequent more, but 4Chan man. 4chan is bad.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
The attack on Tumblr was a joke. 4chan just spammed tags with shit and tumblr user generally avoided the tags. Word got out that those tags were going to be/are being spammed, so everyone just avoided them. Almost all tumblr users did not see one stock image appear on their dash. Apparently they were also going to photoshop selfless into sexual positions, but word of that also was spread extremely fast. Generally speaking, 4chan had no idea how tumblr worked or what they were doing. I say that photoshop shit went too far, but that is the extent of it. Apparently 4chan is also planning to hack 40,000 popular accounts, but judging by the "war" so far this is unlikely.

Sep 13, 2009
Cecilo said:
Considering what I hear about Tumblr, 90% Of those people on tumblr suffering from "Depression, Anxiety" And everything else are either self diagnosed, or diagnosed by someone else on tumblr.

These are also the same type of people that claim they can get PTSD from viewing an image they don't like. So yea. I don't really care about them all that much.
How much of what you hear about Tumblr is from the same camp that's decided to declare a "war" against it?

Even if this isn't medically diagnosed clinical depression, if you're on the internet looking for advice on depression you probably are not in a good place, and you don't want to be screwing around with people who're at that point.

Not to mention that suicide prevention threads and ones discussing self harm are also being targeted. As much as you might believe that they're making it up, there's certain things that you just don't play around with just in case you're wrong

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Wait, 4Chan still exists?
I thought Reddit killed it in 09 when people realized they could get their funny images without going to a place that requires copious amounts of purell.
Also; what's a Tumbler?

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Jim Trailerpark said:
I'm sorry but all I think about is one big ass cripple fight that nobody is taking seriously
Hell I'll jump on the band wagon and say, "This, this, a thousand times this." But to get on topic, of course they did. It's fucking 4chan, the home of the socially maladjusted going against Tumblr the home of the hypersensitive. It's like a sociopathic pyromaniac with a flamethrower and an Oedipus complex being spat on by a hysterical house bound cripple with I.Q. of 12 that lives in a house made of flash-paper. What the fuck do you thinks going to happen, a tea party?

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Cecilo said:

How much of what you hear about Tumblr is from the same camp that's decided to declare a "war" against it?

Even if this isn't medically diagnosed clinical depression, if you're on the internet looking for advice on depression you probably are not in a good place, and you don't want to be screwing around with people who're at that point.

Not to mention that suicide prevention threads and ones discussing self harm are also being targeted. As much as you might believe that they're making it up, there's certain things that you just don't play around with just in case you're wrong
Well, for one I don't frequent /b/, only /tg/, only /b/ or /pol/ are the ones that raided Tumblr, in response to Tumblr's "You are everything that is wrong with the world, we are going to get you shut down" Post, this is what /b/ or /pol/ did.

Next, I got my idea of tumblr from tumblr frequenters, which you can also apply to the greater Internet, everyone here has OCD, everyone has something, always diagnosed by themselves or someone else who isn't a professional doctor.

As for the ones with suicide prevention, there are better resources for that than Tumblr, and I wouldn't, nor would I recommend anyone else go to Tumblr for that, you call a Suicide Prevention hotline, or find a site from Google. Not Tumblr, especially given that certain parts of tumblr will tell you to go kill yourself if you have the audacity to be a white, straight male. Especially since the overwhelming majority of suicides are by White, Straight, Males.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Cecilo said:

Err, you do realize you're talking about a group that has members who once stuck a fit inducing gif on a epilepsy website for no other reason than 'because we can'?

Attempting to protect a sacred cow (particularly when the site in question has more 'special' cattle than most dairy farms) is just going to make raiders want to slaughter it, preferably while generating lulz.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
....I was on tumblr all this week did something happen? Or am I just not hip to the groove on shit that happens because I only post artwork and follow a few quiet individuals?

...Guess so.

Didn't ...errr Reddit? Or 9gag or some shit try this once before also? I'd say just let the tumblr staff handle it and until then, stay off the fucking website.

These assholes thrive on attention and reaction so giving them none is the ultimate revenge in my opinion.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Probably, mostly because even one person committing suicide due in any part to their actions would be a step too far and simply due to the large numbers involved that may indeed have happened (given that they went after anxiety and depression related stuff). This is not so much because of how important one individual life is, but rather because of how outright trivial a "war" between /b and Tumblr is in comparison to anything of any value. So yeah, they probably went too far. Tumblr easily could have gone too far too, given how low the value of their "fighting" is as well.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Sarah Kerrigan said:
someone who once frequenced 4chan and now I am a daily/hourly tumblr user, does anyone else think that 4chan is going too far?
You're first mistake is assuming that 4chan has a concept of 'too far'. Nothing is off limits for them which is one of the reasons this war started in the first place. Anyone who frequented 4chan should've noticed this quite early on; 4chan on a minutely basis crosses the line and keeps on going. It's one of the traits that makes them infamous/so funny to follow on Reddit.

Sep 13, 2009
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Err, you do realize you're talking about a group that has members who once stuck a fit inducing gif on a epilepsy website for no other reason than 'because we can'?

Attempting to protect a sacred cow (particularly when the site in question has more 'special' cattle than most dairy farms) is just going to make raiders want to slaughter it, preferably while generating lulz.
I suppose I'm just not numb to it yet. I'm a little surprised by the response though, it's like if 4chan harassed someone to the point of driving them to suicide everyone would just say "Well that's /b/ for ya". I realize that they have a habit of doing shitty stuff and endangering lives for the lulz, but how having a precedence for it make it okay?