So the upcoming Werewolf game looks pretty bad.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sooo.....yeah...

Looks really bad. I mean, I'm not a huge advocate for "must have insane graphics!!" for something to be good. But, even for me, these renders are like....really low quality. And the setup seems so cliche as to annoy me to hell and back.

I mean he's a Garou, a chosen Spirit-Warrior for Gaia, the spirit manifestation of the Earth, being slowly killed by the Wrym, and his Wyrmspawn, choking and defiling the planet. The corruption of the sacred lands and the spirits that dwell within those lands should fill his beastly soul with Rage to destroy these defilers of Mother Earth. And he will employ his Gifts and his Fetish weapons, and his ritual magic, and his PACK, to tear down these abominations, fueled by the traitorous Black Spiral Dancers and their ilk. Because the Apocalypse is coming, and only the Garou stand between it and the destruction of all that is good.

....or you know, we can instead just give him some token girlfriend that dies, making him decide to go kill people because they gave him a Big Sad.....I'm sure that will be just as compelling of a motivation.

Oh, and let's just apparently disregard all the rich lore of the setting, and just turn it into a hack n slash (that probably is aping Dark Souls combat *retching noises*), with a solo, bearded angry dude.

Yep, that sounds like a winner to me.

Fucking hell.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
It's hard to tell anything just from a pre-rendered trailer. Still, it's not exactly eye-catching even for that. Pity, I prefer Forsaken to Apocalypse, but I still had hopes for this one. Maybe it'll still turn out good, but it's not off to a good start.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It's hard to tell anything just from a pre-rendered trailer. Still, it's not exactly eye-catching even for that. Pity, I prefer Forsaken to Apocalypse, but I still had hopes for this one. Maybe it'll still turn out good, but it's not off to a good start.
I like both Forsaken and Apoc honestly. I had so many fun werewolf concepts for Apocalypse that it's always got a special place in my heart. Forsaken was really good, and I enjoyed some of the changes they made. But other changes, not so much.

As for the trailer, if it's pre-rendered, why even release it? It looks terrible. A casual skim of the comments in the video all comment about it looking bad.

But honestly I can ignore bad cinematics if the gameplay is good, but if the story is also shit, I'm going to be annoyed. And the very sketchy plot details they gave us, don't imply it's going to have a deep plot. Biker Beard Man have girlfriend, him likey girlfriend. Girlfriend go long sleep because bad man with rifle. Biker Beard Man angry, go punch robot to metal music. Nothing about that says Werewolf: the Apocalypse to me. It could be any of a million stock standard games/movies from the last 20 years, as far as implied narrative structure.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Screams generic straight to DVD or Early Access. You got werewolves, and that's the most interesting thing you can do? I know it's just a CG trailer, but I hate to see what the actual game play looks like.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Assuming this is a new IP, are you allowed to have a three-line title like that? "Werewolf: Apocolypse: Earthblood?'

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I really have to wonder at how the suits thought anything about this was a good idea.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Assuming this is a new IP, are you allowed to have a three-line title like that? "Werewolf: Apocolypse: Earthblood?'
It's not a new IP it's being licensed from a Tabletop RPG called Werewolf: The Apocalypse, so I guess that's the name of the franchise and the 3rd lone is the name of the Videogame

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's not a new IP it's being licensed from a Tabletop RPG called Werewolf: The Apocalypse, so I guess that's the name of the franchise and the 3rd lone is the name of the Videogame
I get that but my god that title is awkward, especially since there aren't any other Werewolf: The Apocalypse videogames. I mean, could nobody in marketing look at that and say "Could we make that title flow a little better?"

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I get that but my god that title is awkward, especially since there aren't any other Werewolf: The Apocalypse videogames. I mean, could nobody in marketing look at that and say "Could we make that title flow a little better?"
I get it, it's always awkward when they do this kinda thing, I guess it's sister series was a bit luckier with the subtitle as Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines does flow a bit better, but it's still pretty clunky sounding, so I guess they were going off the naming conventions established by that videogame series, let's just be thankful they didn't decide to include World of Darkness in the title for the moment.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not a very good trailer. I mean its entirely possible the game is much better, but its a pretty crap trailer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get it, it's always awkward when they do this kinda thing, I guess it's sister series was a bit luckier with the subtitle as Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines does flow a bit better, but it's still pretty clunky sounding, so I guess they were going off the naming conventions established by that videogame series, let's just be thankful they didn't decide to include World of Darkness in the title for the moment.
I don't think they can actually use the term World of Darkness anymore? The legality of ownership of the WoD from White Wolf to the current owners is....weird, so they might have to avoid that phrase entirely. Sort of like not calling them Mutants in the Marvel films because Fox.

Yes the name of the franchise is Werewolf: the Apocalypse. White Wolf was a big fan of "Character: the Somethinging" type of titles. I think everything they published followed that convention. A few of their less popular, sort of one-off titles, like Orpheus, would sometimes ignore this convention. Otherwise, it was SOP for them for everything.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Yes the name of the franchise is Werewolf: the Apocalypse. White Wolf was a big fan of "Character: the Somethinging" type of titles. I think everything they published followed that convention. A few of their less popular, sort of one-off titles, like Orpheus, would sometimes ignore this convention. Otherwise, it was SOP for them for everything.
Also Exalted, but that's not directly a World of Darkness game despite using a lot of the same mechanics. Honestly, I'd rather see an Exalted video game than any more World of Darkness adaptations.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
And here I was hoping after Vampyr the video game industry would be considering doing "you are a monster" games more and right for once.

So much for that. The trailer couldn't even get the freaking werewolf transformation right!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
On the one hand, being fair, Apoc games just turn into hack and slash anyway usually since the metaplot is so schizophrenic from all the conflicting writers.

On the other dumping pretty much all of it to make the MC just miss his waifu does feel like wasted potential since that schizophrenic metaplot makes for some trippy ideas.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
One the one hand, being fair, Apoc games just turn into hack and slash anyway usually since the metaplot is so schizophrenic from all the conflicting writers.
For the record, this is one of the biggest things that I prefer about the New World of Darkness to the Old. Since there is no metaplot, or at least no advancing metaplot, there's no obligation to stick to all of it, including the parts that contradict each other, or write setting documents that require you to explicitly state which parts are or aren't being used. It also means guys like Samuel Haight don't reach the point that Samuel Haight did, where he had to be turned into an ashtray in order to prevent him from continuing to ruin everyone's campaigns in every OWoD system. (I don't know the entire story about how that happened, at least not in detail, so you're better off with a Google search than quoting me to ask me about it.)

Which is actually something that this game has the opportunity to work with. Earthblood can fairly easily just throw out most of the metaplot, go back to basics and build its own self-contained world with it like a good campaign, or indeed Bloodlines. Of course, what we have right now isn't promising, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I really have to wonder at how the suits thought anything about this was a good idea.
I have to wonder how anyone thought Werewolf was a good idea to begin with. There's a variety of ways you can justify your half human half animal creatures, and while you do have to be edgelordy I guess, you don't have to do reproduction that way. Ew.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, and let's just apparently disregard all the rich lore of the setting, and just turn it into a hack n slash (that probably is aping Dark Souls combat *retching noises*), with a solo, bearded angry dude.
I mean, to be fair, that does sound pretty authentic to Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

Except the angry bearded dude should be a neo-Nazi or something.