So there's this project happening that I thought you guys would find very interesting

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Considering that the video literally told me nothing more than "IT'S REALLY BIG!!!", I'm calling BS. Not only is video game server technology still not powerful enough to have more than one thousand simultaneous players shown at once, but the promise of a completely consistent, parallel world is far to ambitious for anyone and anything.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Reminds me a bit of Spore, it sounds good now but will probably disappoint on release.

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
Out of curiosity assuming the project finished, can anyone here conceive of the finished product actually succeeding or even the finished product itself? It feels too all encompassing and thus too easily self conflicting. The more space allowed in a game, the more room for error. I'm hoping it's not a fake but I can't help but feel that it's a fake.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Can you imagine spending a year or so building an inescapable box and filling it with cameras, then drugging people and have them wake up in the room to fight to the death for their 'freedom'. The amount of trolling possible in this is incredible.
Of course it might be hard to do things like children if they plan for every character to be a real character... I think they all should be real though. NPC's will ruin the feel of it. Maybe we can even write programs inside of the game if we design a phone or something... Can you imagine the advantage you would get if you could design some sort of walkie-talkie thing early on in the game? If they made the game really detailed perhaps extensive knowledge in real life could help. Making talking only possible when nearby or through an ingame item and such would be incredible if you had to design the hone and write all the code yourself. Hell they could save on coding if most of the electronic item script were written in some sort of in game programming language for the players. That would also help the economy if you were forced to trade for stuff if had no idea how to make something and it was more complicated then drag item A to item B.
It would be fine up until some smart bastard decided to make a nuke of course...

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
What that video just described, is basically my dream game.
And it's never going to happen. Not any time soon anyway.

Even if the game COULD be made, I fail to see how it could succeed financially. They'd have to have artists and programmers constantly making models and textures for every single new thing players created, one every variation. They would need to make more content that has been made in the entire history of gaming. Unless literally everyone on earth bought the game and payed a sub for it, i don't see how they could afford that.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
So...I predict an eventual migration into cyberspace. To the point where we won't have a "body" anymore. I'm not gonna go into detail here, but I think I have a pretty good theory on the subject.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Sounds neat, absolutely possible. It may not be pretty, or intuitive, but you can easily design the tools for players to succeed, and then sit back and watch.

As for the space the game would require, most of that would be on your hard drive. Not RAM. and any saves would be saved server side. Depending on the engine they use, creative use of portals, or cells, or even just coded triggers would easily manage the system resources without any issue at all.

See, they're aiming big, and I like that, but what they're also saying is that..players decide everything. They give us the tools, we do what we want.

The risk factor is huge if the game does not start off well, it will not make it past a week. The community would need to be near perfect for the smaller scales villages we'd all start out with.

I like the idea and I like the ambition. However i think maybe they need to make the scale a little smaller and see how that goes in a demo maybe. Everything in this video is entirely possible, but it will not be so on release, it will take time for things to open up, as we advance through time, they will add more things. I can see patches going by era. It's an interesting idea. Right now though it's just that..an idea. They'll need to show something for this to get really interesting.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
oplinger said:
Sounds neat, absolutely possible. It may not be pretty, or intuitive, but you can easily design the tools for players to succeed, and then sit back and watch.

As for the space the game would require, most of that would be on your hard drive. Not RAM. and any saves would be saved server side. Depending on the engine they use, creative use of portals, or cells, or even just coded triggers would easily manage the system resources without any issue at all.

See, they're aiming big, and I like that, but what they're also saying is that..players decide everything. They give us the tools, we do what we want.

The risk factor is huge if the game does not start off well, it will not make it past a week. The community would need to be near perfect for the smaller scales villages we'd all start out with.

I like the idea and I like the ambition. However i think maybe they need to make the scale a little smaller and see how that goes in a demo maybe. Everything in this video is entirely possible, but it will not be so on release, it will take time for things to open up, as we advance through time, they will add more things. I can see patches going by era. It's an interesting idea. Right now though it's just that..an idea. They'll need to show something for this to get really interesting.
This pretty much sums this thing up perfectly. Start off small and there will be a much greater chance of success. They said that if everything went as planned, then the worlds time would take it's course. In particular they stated that it would take about ten years to reach "the future" in the game.

Also, i'd imagine this game will take at least 4-5 years before it's even released as an alpha.

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
So during launch its the stone age, and later it'll be the space age. So all the code for building a society will be useless later on. I'll just go play eve.