So this looks pretty slick

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh I already know about this game. Saw it during a PlayStation event. Thank you anyway.
K, I didn't see it mentioned in the first page or so of that State of Play thread, so wasn't sure if it was part of it. Felt odd nobody commented on it, especially you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
K, I didn't see it mentioned in the first page or so of that State of Play thread, so wasn't sure if it was part of it. Felt odd nobody commented on it, especially you.
Actually, I posted the video, along with Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and commented.

I was thinking more just a basic comparison of The Raid, but yeah Oldboy too. I mean it's clearly on purpose as homage, but that's fine by me.
The Raid was my first thought too. Old Boy as well, but it's pretty clear it is more so the first option.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Actually, I posted the video, along with Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and commented.

The Raid was my first thought too. Old Boy as well, but it's pretty clear it is more so the first option.
Ah, guess I skipped that page when I skimmed it. Yeah Kena: Bridge of Spirits is one of the few games, along with Dying Light 2, that I'm actually eagerly awaiting to play.

Regarding Sifu though, I think I recall hearing something about it waaay back. Isn't the premise that every time you "die" you age up a bit? So that in theory, there is a final failure state if you get too old and just die of old age? And have to restart? So in theory you could get through and stay young for the whole game, but with aging, it changes the narrative I guess.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Game looks cool. But the sound effects make it sound wimpy. Like there is this brutal cool action happening but it sounds like a wet blanket.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No, but I'll definitely check it out.
Oh, yeah you should definitely check out Fights in Tight Places. It's similar to that John Wick game that came out recently, about using action points to manage attacks and movement. But it's more turn based, and uses a deckbuilding mechanic. It's kind of like Slay the Spire in that regard, and that you have a track of locations to travel along, to get to the final objective, and you can have fights, or random events, stores to spend currency on upgrades/etc.

The aesthetic is VERY much inspired by John Wick and similar action fights, but it's a grid based, turn based thing. The demo is free on Steam, and it's actually a very meaty demo. To give it a Slay the Spire comparison, the demo, is one entire floor (mission in this case) of the spire. You've got about...I dunno, 15+ locations between Start-Finish, and they're random as fights or events. Randomly generated each new play of course. It's actually really fun as a strategy/card game. And, at the end, if you win the match, you can replay it at a bit more fluid of a pace, to see how you kicked much ass.