So...two dudes stole 6,000 copies of Modern Warfare 3

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
And I quote...

"A delivery truck in Créteil, France carrying 6,000 copies of Modern Warfare 3 was hijacked and stolen on Saturday by two masked people, French news outlets TFI and Ultimate PS3 reported. The truck crashed with a car, and when the truck's drivers exited, two people in masks tear-gassed them before taking off with the games, TFI said. The shipment was reported to be worth 400,000 euros ($551,000)."

So apparently people REALLY wanna play this game. I mean someone "buys" it for 1700 dollars and now this?

Anyhow, Bobby Kottick must be loving how much press this is getting his game. I mean, these guys are literally facing jail time (or at least community service) if they get caught.

Unless of course this is some sort of huge publicity stunt by Activision.

What do you thing about the whole thing Escapist?

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/06/report-french-delivery-truck-hijacked-6-000-copies-of-modern-w/

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Im guessing its more of a money thing. Its a wanted product and these thieves can earn over half a million dollars if they sell these games on the black market.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Searchbar.... do you use it?

(i.e., there's already a thread about this going.)

EDIT: In fact, you started that other one. Wtf?

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I would have loved to read an article empathising on this:

"2 people stealing videogames worth over half a million$ choose the less brutal way of using tear gas to accomplish their crime, whereas non-gameing related robberies often include guns and murder to accomplish robberies of far less monetary value."

I also can't help but wonder, if the robbers actually gives a fuck about the game itself, or just realize the monetary value it has.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
SeanTheOriginal said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby Kowhateverthefuck paid these guys to "steal" the games. Anything to get more publicity.
Call of Duty does not need to pay for publicity, like apple products the news media will do all the advertising for Activision.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I don't think they wanted the game so much as they knew how much money these things would go for if it was be for release.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Well... I am sure they have the CD-keys written somewhere that they can get from the factory and nullify them all. Since they all are serialized. If they can ban specific CD-keys they surely can nullify a series of them.

But still? Wth?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
enzilewulf said:
I don't think they wanted the game so much as they knew how much money these things would go for if it was be for release.
Watching Shinn get punched like that has a soothing effect on one's soul.

OT: Who is willing to bet it's a conspiracy by BF fanboys to steal all boxes of MW3 before they reach a store near your house? Take out your pitchforks and noobtubes, and hunt down those heathens till the last one of them! [/codtard]

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
I suspect that the fact that the truck was carrying Modern Warfare 3 games specifically was the main reason why they choose that truck, more likely it was the value of the shipment.

If the same thing had happened but they had stolen an equal value of TV?s, fuel etc people would not make a big deal of it. The fact that the truck contained a popular violent video game means that people will say games cause crime and people shouldn?t play it.

What I find really bizarre is there will be people lining the streets on launch day to buy it, look at MW 2, Halo 3 etc. If the game is truly as spectacular and amazing why nobody is lining up to buy it 2 months down the line and why can I now get Halo 3 for less than £2 on Amazon?

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
I've often fantasized about doing the same thing, except replace the MW3 truck with the Little Debbie truck. Can you imagine? An entire transport vehicle, filled with every kind of sugary snack imaginable... oh man. That is so worth jail time.

The fact that these people had tear gas grenades leads me to believe they were planning this for a while, and it wasn't just a spur of the moment thing. Also, I can see the anti-games league sinking their teeth into this- "VIDEO GAMES PROMOTE THEFT" or some shit.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
What in the Christ. This is stupid even if it was for the most amazing video game ever made. And Modern Warfare 3 is just another bland first person shooter that the industry is flooded with.

This is making me depressed. Depressed with the current state of the game industry. I want to hear of stories of people going crazy for games in a good way, not harming others in the name of... this.

Why can't we have more PikaBellaChus and people who propose to their wife with Chrono Trigger, or making gigantic dedication works to awesome things in Minecraft, instead of people killing their child because they were loud during their Farmville session and things like that?

I miss the Super Nintendo days and before.

jimahaff

Apr 28, 2011
Well actually the games are only worth around 180.000. Sure 6000 games at 60 USD a pop is 360.000, and the value of the truck would clear 400.000, but you wouldn't be able to sell the games at retail price. Why buy a stolen game that can get you in legal trouble for owning when you can just buy one legaly for the same price? I would think you would be pressed to sell them at half of retail. Also selling 6000 copies of the same game from any one place must be a nightmare. I would be surprised if game stores carry more than 50 or 60 copies of a game at any one time.

My conclusion is that these guys aren't in it for profit. I could be wrong, but it just seems more trouble than its worth. Not that I am a professional criminal, this is all speculation; but I still think this is some kind of political statement.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
THEY JUST GOT KANGAROO JACKED!!!

Seriously I couldn't give less of a shit about MW3 but this is hilarious...