So...two guys just made off with 6000 copies of MW3

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
And I quote...

"A delivery truck in Créteil, France carrying 6,000 copies of Modern Warfare 3 was hijacked and stolen on Saturday by two masked people, French news outlets TFI and Ultimate PS3 reported. The truck crashed with a car, and when the truck's drivers exited, two people in masks tear-gassed them before taking off with the games, TFI said. The shipment was reported to be worth 400,000 euros ($551,000)."

So apparently people REALLY wanna play this game. I mean someone "buys" it for 1700 dollars and now this?

Anyhow, Bobby Kottick must be loving how much press this is getting his game. I mean, these guys are literally facing jail time (or at least community service) if they get caught.

Unless of course this is some sort of huge publicity stunt by Activision.

What do you thing about the whole thing Escapist?

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/06/report-french-delivery-truck-hijacked-6-000-copies-of-modern-w/

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, some people steal some shit and you turn it into hate for Activision? Classy.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Funny how it happened in France, I didn't expect that. And they left the car there too (probably not theirs, but still). Poor job, guys, poor job.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
How in the world will they sell their stolen goods without getting caught? Unless it's been done by organized crime who can ship the games to other places.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
I say well played to the two gentleman. Looks like some unlucky people won't be getting their preorders on time. Hee hee hee.

Pjotr84

Oct 22, 2009
Yeah, I hardly think this is a publicity stunt; The game doesn't need it and it would be in very bad taste.

Also, how would you figuratively face jail time?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Phlakes said:
So, some people steal some shit and you turn it into hate for Activision? Classy.
Where do you see hate for Activision? Take off your brown-tinted goggles for a moment and read OP's actual post.

I imagine he's referring to various other PR events, like EA staging a protest for Dante's Inferno to make it seem like there was "controversy" by religious people. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if this ends up being an elaborate scheme to gain publicity for the game in Europe. There's nothing hateful about it.

*Edit* Just because I imagine some idiot will try to claim I'm implying, nowhere in my post am I claiming that Activision is *likely* staging this (it's probably not), only that if they ARE, this shouldn't be a surprise, since game companies pull stuff like this all the time.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Tear gas, thats funny.

Probably battlefield fanboys

NOTE: I am not a fanboy of either game, I just play everything.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Why do all the best criminals come from France? First we have the guy who hid in a cardboard box to escape from jail, now this.

There must be something in the wine.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
chadachada123 said:
Phlakes said:
Where do you see hate for Activision? Take off your brown-tinted goggles for a moment and read OP's actual post.
Anyhow, Bobby Kottick must be loving how much press this is getting his game. I mean, these guys are literally facing jail time (or at least community service) if they get caught.

Unless of course this is some sort of huge publicity stunt by Activision.
Sounds like a pretty disparaging tone to me. I might be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
Your Local DJ said:
Tear gas, thats funny.

Probably battlefield fanboys

NOTE: I am not a fanboy of either game, I just play everything.
Speaking as a semi fanboy as the battlefield series, seeing how they used TEAMWORK to accomplish this. Chances are, that they are ;D

Episode42

Nov 28, 2010
Damn, that's a weird thing to steal. I can't see that many people wanting to buy a cheap copy of MW3 from a shady looking guy in a pub.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
They're all in French... who wants to buy a French version of Modern Warfare 3? You could learn French, which would probably take a few years.... or you could just wait a couple of days and get a perfectly legitimate copy.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Funny how it happened in France, I didn't expect that. And they left the car there too (probably not theirs, but still). Poor job, guys, poor job.
"Poor job" doesn't really apply until they get caught. Until then, the situation says it was a perfectly adequate job.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
vrbtny said:
They're all in French... who wants to buy a French version of Modern Warfare 3? You could learn French, which would probably take a few years.... or you could just wait a couple of days and get a perfectly legitimate copy.
or they could sell it to people in france or it's surrounding area. or Quebec

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Jadak said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
"Poor job" doesn't reapply until they get caught. Until then, the situation says it was a perfectly adequate job.
True, but they still left a car full of potential evidence. I probably should have said poor planning.