So Valve is not your friend, according to Polygon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh Polygon, you self righteous SOBs, when will you learn? Basically, it's them having a ***** fit over Valve's policies on Steam, but the way they write it, you would think Valve brutally murdered their entire families. To Polygon, I have to say, where was this attitude with companies like Apple or EA's digital service. If anything they come off as a jilted lover. Why do people subscribe to you again? You and Kotaku are the gaming equivalent of Fox News.

I never used Steam, nor will I in the future, but is Steam really the worse when it comes to digital services? No I'd say EA is still far worse from the stories I heard. For those curious, here's the article.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Weren't they also ones claiming COD WWII is not diverse enough?

If so then they're bunch of chauvinists and bigots in their death throes,
trying to get any attention to their crumbling platform
or given their target maybe just bunch of spineless twat's on EA's leash, smearing hit pieces on demand?

Neither option being worthy source of news on gaming industry.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Of course they are not our friend. Valve is a business. They want to make money, not have a drink with us at the pub.

Anyway, as for Steam, it gets the job done adequately. Their main edge is their massive library. Other than that, I prefer GOG.

My stance on Valve itself is neutral. I don't see them as the never-do-wrong saviours of gaming, nor as the bottomfeeding scumbag evil empire. They could stand to offer more transparency and better communicate with their customers. The thing that actually concerns me most about Valve is how much of PC gaming is concentrated in them. Their failing would do quite a lot of damage. Not irreparable, but nonetheless significant.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Jamcie Kerbizz said:

trying to get any attention to their crumbling platform [...]
Wait a second. How the hell does that follow?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
*shurgs* steam does what it says on the box and doesnt get in my way when i play games, and i no longer have to spend half an hour hunting on line for patches and what order to install them in

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Silvanus said:
Jamcie Kerbizz said:

trying to get any attention to their crumbling platform [...]
Wait a second. How the hell does that follow?
Posting clickbait racist games themed BS to try and bring in audience for ads instead of providing news on games?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
CoCage said:
Oh Polygon, you self righteous SOBs, when will you learn? Basically, it's them having a ***** fit over Valve's policies on Steam, but the way they write it, you would think Valve brutally murdered their entire families. To Polygon, I have to say, where was this attitude with companies like Apple or EA's digital service. If anything they come off as a jilted lover. Why do people subscribe to you again? You and Kotaku are the gaming equivalent of Fox News.
Jeez dude, the way you say it, you would think Polygon brutally murdered your entire family.

It's not a particularly well written article and the language is needlessly melodramatic but it presents some solid points and you haven't put forward a fucking thing to refute any of them.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
You know, there's a subforum for topics like these here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/663-Game-Industry-Discussion

That said, of course Steam is not my "friend". But unlike Polygon, at least it's not my enemy.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Polygon is the "Buzzfeed" of video game news. Everything they post is bullshit to a fairly stinky degree. I used to think Kotaku was trash but Polygon has certainly gone out of their way to top that. I dunno, maybe a news site just needs clickbait these days in order to stay online. Hell you can even look at MSN or Yahoo for news without scrolling through click-bait trash.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I notice you don't actually reply to their points and then overreact, much like they did.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Zhukov said:
CoCage said:
Jeez dude, the way you say it, you would think Polygon brutally murdered your entire family.

It's not a particularly well written article and the language is needlessly melodramatic but it presents some solid points and you haven't put forward a fucking thing to refute any of them.
My point is this, while they are not wrong (Steam Greenlight, lack of a refund policy before 2015), Polygon act like Steam is the only guilty of this, or Valve is the worst of the worst. My biggest problem with Polygon is that they pretend be good people, who are nothing more than a bunch of self-serving assholes who only do things to benefit their own agenda. Steam has many problems, but once again, they are not the worse of the worst. Valve ain't my friend, but they are not my enemy either. And Polygon seems really happy in painting them as mustache-twirly villains.

erttheking said:
I notice you don't actually reply to their points and then overreact, much like they did.
Not really, I am just giving my perspective. I have overreacted to some things in my life, but I put my foot down when crap like this posted on the net like it's something "new", "groundbreaking", or "controversial".

StatusNil said:
You know, there's a subforum for topics like these here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/663-Game-Industry-Discussion

That said, of course Steam is not my "friend". But unlike Polygon, at least it's not my enemy.
I thought about it, but barely anyone talks on that sub-forum anymore, and most of the time it's some guys talking about tired topics of GamerGate/SJW/Anti-SJW nobody cares about anymore.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'm not detecting any lies here.

No corporation is your friend, you're deluding yourself if you think they are.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
BuildsLegos said:
Steam is second only to GoG, but only because of their library. Catching up with Steam was more of an uphill battle than it should have been for Origin; but from what I hear, they've managed.
Origin has hands down the best refund policy wish steam had it.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
CritialGaming said:
I used to think Kotaku was trash but Polygon has certainly gone out of their way to top that.
Even Polygon has nothing on The Mary Sue though.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
So what did Polygon lie about? Look, it's embarrassing to watch people beg Valve to take their money during the sales. I stopped paying attention to the sales a couple of years ago because they seemed to be getting less and less noteworthy plus it was usually the same stuff for every sale, what I wanted I already had. I used to the check the daily deal every day until it became mostly indie crap games and now, I think they have hidden closer to the bottom of the page.

As for EA and GOG, both have better customer service. Valve is the faceless corporation people talk about hating but they love Valve.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Polygon has been trash since it opened.
Now I'm expected to believe they care about journalism rather than being a Microsoft spin office

undeadsuitor said:
"Damn sjws ruinin everything."
they make effective cat's paws
it's always been that case but I'd never tell anyone to turn down useful idiots

Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Posting clickbait racist games themed BS to try and bring in audience for ads instead of providing news on games?
did they atleast make an argument for beginning it somewhere before Americans joined the war, like early to mid war?
I'm sick to death of johnny everybody, going off to war to become a man, while Earnest old Douglas Mcclinus spent years fighting in Africa along with the REF, ANZAC, African and middle eastern forces. fun fact, Brits actually learned how much war is too much on a soldier.
>never going to fight Vichy France in the Mediterranean
>never going to fight with/against the fins in the winter war.
>never going to Barbarossa again.
>no bagradon
ECK

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
A corporation isn't my friend? Say it ain't so!

Also, it's weird how some people like really hate some pretty harmless and bland websites like Polygon and Kotaku, or is this like an "ethics" thing that I'm just not getting? I dunno. I tend not to get angry about things like that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
How about not becoming self-righteous SOBs ourselves, and better discussing the points they wrote there instead? (I'm talking to everyone, not just the OP)

Note at the beginning: The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization.

I don't define this opinion article as much as self-righteous, but written in a tone full of smugness and condescension. Even so, it's also full of references to events worth discussing.

PS: I agree that this thread sounds more fitting to Gaming Industry Discussion; but why to waste a chance to see if people want to talk about this? (at least more people than just those who'd rather see Polygon disappear from the Internet).