So, Westboro Baptist Church paid our town a visit.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
So, they're hating people based on where they live now? What's so sinful about living in California? (Not that they ever made sense. They were always crazy.)

ROTMASTER

Dec 4, 2008
the westboro baptist church will often show up to and behave in the same way to the funerals of american soldiers and even tell their closet reletives that their son/daughter/husband/wife/brother/sister/friend is burning in hell, as current us army that pisses me of more then you could know if any of my buddies died overseas and they showed up they would be leaving unconcious

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
That said: oh, shit, they're in my state. If they show up in my neck of the woods, I need to brush up on my "crazed petty oracle" act so that I can do my best to creep them out.

Or, alternately, have a pie on hand to throw. Although they'd probably try to sue me for "assault" over that; I've heard rumors that they've done as much for similarly trivial reasons.

esin

Feb 17, 2010
Lots of people Say nothing can be done about them because they're covered by free speech.

But surely they can be charged with Disturbing the peace??

Newtonyd

Apr 30, 2011
esin said:
Lots of people Say nothing can be done about them because they're covered by free speech.

But surely they can be charged with Disturbing the peace??
Not if they're just protesting. It's covered under freedom of speech. That's why Nazi's can do their little parades even though they often cause breaches of the peace

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Android2137 said:
So, they're hating people based on where they live now? What's so sinful about living in California? (Not that they ever made sense. They were always crazy.)
i think it's because California allows gay marriage...could be wrong though

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Newtonyd said:
TheXRatedDodo said:
You realise talking about what is supposed to be the divine architect of the cosmos, a being representing the unity and oneness of all things, in human terms and applying a personality to it, is absolute fallacy?
Well, I didn't vote for him.

Seriously though, if you proved to me tomorrow that the literal god of the bible did exist, I still wouldn't worship him. He's a monster, and I'd rather live true to myself than be threatened and coerced into a life of mind slavery.

OT: As for these guys, the best policy is to ignore them. They make a living off of publicity and lawsuits. Take away the attention and outrage of the populace and they'll dry up like worms in the sun.
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree.
Based on what I have felt, I have come to the conclusion that "God" is basically akin to what I described in my previous post. Some sort of metaphorical, metaphysical summation of the idea of everything being everything. Assigning a personality to such a thing never even crossed my mind (or my heart, for that matter.) And thus, I believe. That may not sit well with the opinions commonly held on this site (which, from what I've seen, tends towards Atheism and strict rationalism, not that I wish to paint everybody here with the same brush or anything.)
I see no sense in blindly following or believing anything you have not felt or seen yourself, be it the Bible, Science or anything else.
The God of the Bible is a man-made creation, constructed in the image of corrupt men with agendas and bigotries of their own rather than by truly open, accepting, free and loving individuals. It's not hard to see that. Fuck that guy, mang.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
this sums up my feeling on how WIN this event was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I have the greatest idea ever to counter protest the WBC. The counter-protestor would prepare the following in advance, several pints of theatrical blood, a starter pistol, a wig, a small squeezable plastic bottle, several feet of surgical tubing, and one of those squib loads movies use to make a person look like they've been shot. The counter-protestor will fill the bottle with theatrical blood, as well as prepare a blood pack. They will run the surgical tubing through their clothing up to a hat and fix the bottle in their belt. The counter-protestor would then proceed to the WBC protest site, stand for several minutes, and then get the attention of the most vocal WBC member. The counter-protestor should say very little if possible nothing, and once he has the WBC member's full attention, draw the starter pistol from inside his pocket, place it in his mouth and pull the trigger, as well as detonate the squib, and fall to the ground. If it works right the entire audience should immediately panic, including the WBC church members, who hopefully will be traumatized as the plastic bottle continues to pour fake blood onto the concrete.

Sadly doing will likely result in you being arrested, assuming the cops do not shoot you for drawing the starter pistol.

PattyG

May 15, 2011
Very interesting story. As a California resident myself, I'd like to ask: where in California did this take place? I was under the impression that the WBC was just a Southern thing.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
tanis1lionheart said:
Black Arrow Officer said:
shielding the outside world from their false, perverted message of the Bible.
You're...serious? Aren't you?
The god of the chirstian bible is one of the most horrid villains in all of human history.
A vile, prideful, bigoted, mass murder
According to the Old Testament. Most Christians acknowledge that as part of the bible, but is less important.

I read somewhere once where the original concept of Yahweh was as the god of war, but the faith became monotheistic, so he became all of them.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I personally never understood some of the religious arguments against gays. The one that confuses me the most is that they're "An abomination of God". Well here's how my brain works, God is supposed to be infallible, and we are created in his image. If gays are an abomination, that means that either a) Homo sexuality is one of many characteristics of god as we are created in his image or b) God is indeed fallible and "made a mistake".

It's 3 am, haven't slept in 24 hours, and I can't think of anything more. I bet someone has a better explanation than me.

On another note, although I live in Canada, I'd like to go up against one of these people and give them a verbal beat down. In person I tend to be really good at "put on the spot" debate.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
*sigh* why the hell hasn't the ACLU(much as I hate them) taken these fuckers to court yet and tried to shut them up or restrict them to the Kansas town that they come from?

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
I need to move to the US now just so I can follow them around shouting "You ain't got no pancake mix".

I'm hoping after a few weeks it will be the standard response.

One day they will bring pancake mix.

On that day it is to be slapped out of their hands and the entire crowd as one screams "God hates pancake mix" but only once, then they turn their backs on the Westborough folk and remain silent.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Aidinthel said:
All I can say is that if Heaven is really populated by people like that I'm glad I'm going to Hell, and I almost wish I could meet them face-to-face to tell them that. Almost.
Trust me, these people are not going to heaven. I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to recall the one unforgiveable sin is speaking for God. These people claim "God Hates " and that is clearly speaking for God.

God doesn't hate anything.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
There were several things you could have done in this situation:
1. Petrol bombs
2. A gun
3. Sledgehammer
4. Grenade
5. Uh..... loaf of bread? (you'll have to do better than that, captcha!)
6. Hot oil

There were much more options than that but i had to narrow it down. ;P

But if you don't like any of those options...
i suppose the pancake mix would be fine.

The westboro baptist church are horrible people, the BBC did a programme on them called the most hated family in america.

ninetails593

Nov 18, 2009
You are a more patient man than me, good sir. If it were me I'd just tell them how they wouldn't even exist if God didn't love everyone, because otherwise, he'd have just sent them straight to Hell.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Not that I advocate vandalism, but that story had me rolling. You should have done this:
Thanks for making me laugh in the middle of my workplace and making me look like an insane person! Well.. to be honest I probably shouldn't browse The Escapist in work anyway. This sort of makes me wish that there were more of that kind of idiotic protesters in Finland too, so I could go there yelling about Pancake Mix.