So, what are you reading right now?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Inspired by the point Obama made about how gamers should switch off the consoles and pick up a book.

What are you reading? If it is something not so common, give a little description, and your opinion on it.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I'm reading 'Game of Thrones' at the moment.
I'm also poking fun with my copy of 'Three Men in a Boat', picking a chapter randomly and reading it when I feel I need to have a good laugh and relax.

Dec 14, 2009
The last book of the Millennium trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

Probably one of the best series of books I've ever read. It's a damn shame that it's the author's first, and last series. The poor man died before he even saw his books on shelves.

One of the best and orignial heroines in modern literature.

Samus Aran should have had the personality of Lisbeth Salander, not that thing in Other M.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
I am reading Children of the Mind (the forth book in the Ender Quartet) for the 5th time since I was 11ish

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm reading Rex Stout's "Fur De Lance: A Nero Wolfe Mystery".

As the title implies, it is a typical murder story. What marks Nero Wolfe stories out though is the set up. The protagonist (Archie Goldwin) is an outgoing, hardboiled, Sam Spade type character, whilst the main detective (Nero Wolfe) is an essentric, reclusive, armchair genius, like someone out of an Agatha Christie story. This unique combination of two detective genres results in a lot of humour, as these two guys bounce off of one another and try to get up each other's noses.

The novels are short, fun, and great for anyone who enjoys the crime genre. The writing is simplistic, but not stupid. Every now and then, the author loves to throw in a random word you'll probably never have heard before, so try to keep a dictionary handy. Plus the chapters are really short and punchy, so it is good to read if you want something to be able to dip in and out of really fast.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
I am reading Children of the Mind (the forth book in the Ender Quartet) for the 5th time since I was 11ish
I'm reading Xenocide now.

I'm also reading The Forever War, The Prince, and The Truth. Obama hasn't got anything on me.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Several books. I'm in the middle of Surface Detail and John Dies At The End at the moment, i love them both to bits but i always seem to be putting them off even though i really want to know what happens next. I have to say John Dies At The End is the trippiest thing i've ever read, even more so than The Book With No Name. Surface Detail is my first experience with science fiction and i'm enjoying it far more than i thought i would. It deals with some incredibly heavy themes (social identity, slavery, religion, sexuality and sexual identity to name a few) and has a generally very dark tone, especially when describing the 'virtual hells'. The whole book reads like a novel version of inception when dealing with the Virtual and the Real though, and even more so when switching between several protagonists at once, particularly when they may or may not be in the Virtual and the Real and particularly so when they are constantly killed and brought back to life in the Virtual. Also, Lededje is great. I love her to bits.

I've been meaning to start Harbour, which is Lindqvist's latest novel. I really enjoyed Handling the Undead and Let The Right One In, but like the other books, i keep putting it off and never get around to reading it. I will someday though. I really do enjoy reading, but stuff like the internet is such a big distraction. In a way i agree with the president's statement. People should put down the gadgets and pick up a book once in a while.

Edit: Incidentally, my forum title is from the Ship "Me, I'm Counting" from Surface Detail. All of the ships have wonderfully esoteric names, and it's the only one small enough to fit into the custom forum title. My favourite ship names were "Sense Amid Madness, Wit Amidst Folly" and "The Usual But Etymologically Unsatisfactory". I'd love to go into detail about the plot, but if i did, i'd end up making a wall of text. I'll just say that being able to store someone's personality ("Soul" if you like) in a neural lace to either live out eternity in the Virtual (think of it like living on forever in the internet) or being 'reborn' in a new, cloned, blank body (that you can change to have any features you wished prior to rebirth) is fascinating. Even more fascinating when the many race and cultures go to war over the idea on whether or not the Virtual should have 'virtual hells' to scare people into good behaviour, much like religion does today. And even more curious are those who choose not to install a neural lace in order to save their personality upon death. But i digress. Go read it! Go now!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
MercurySteam said:
The Gears of War novels. I'm thoroughly absorbed.
What do they talk about?

"I leant out from behind a wall and fired. I went back behind the wall. I reloaded, and then celebrated like I won an olympic gold medal because I put the magazine in quicker than usual. I leant out again and fired. Leant out and fired. Leant..."

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
maninahat said:

As the title implies, it is a typical murder story. What marks Nero Wolfe stories out though is the set up. The protagonist (Archie Goldwin) is an outgoing, hardboiled, Sam Spade type character, whilst the main detective (Nero Wolfe) is an essentric, reclusive, armchair genius, like someone out of an Agatha Christie story. This unique combination of two detective genres results in a lot of humour, as these two guys bounce off of one another and try to get up each other's noses.

The novels are short, fun, and great for anyone who enjoys the crime genre. The writing is simplistic, but not stupid. Every now and then, the author loves to throw in a random word you'll probably never have heard before, so try to keep a dictionary handy. Plus the chapters are really short and punchy, so it is good to read if you want something to be able to dip in and out of really fast.
I watched the television series years ago when I was, and this morning I was thinking, "they were probably adapted the series from books, but what was the detective's name?" I consider this coincidental post to be a sign from god that I must read these books so I'm gonna head to the book shop when I get the chance. Cheers.

I just finished 'A feast of crows' in the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. Began watching the game of thrones series and decided that I should pick up the books. Now I'm gonna try and get through 'The Illuminatus! Trilogy'.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Right now I'm reading Joseph Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces in preparation for taking another stab at writing something. While I find the psychoanalysis a little dated and the constant references to dreams a little disconcerting at best, it's a fascinating book.

Actually, I just got done with the Death Gate Cycle, which I've decided is about the relationship between Mankind and God. And it is awesome. No, really, go take a look.

Of course, most of this might not count, being as I don't play console games all that much, not anymore anyway. If I do play games, they tend to be on my laptop.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments. Its effectively a history and basic description of everything quantum from its origins to the present. So far its fairly interesting and gives a nice context. It makes abstract things more engaging when you can put a person to an equation/idea. I recommend it if you have any interest in the subject.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
deadman91 said:
maninahat said:

I watched the television series years ago when I was, and this morning I was thinking, "they were probably adapted the series from books, but what was the detective's name?" I consider this coincidental post to be a sign from god that I must read these books so I'm gonna head to the book shop when I get the chance. Cheers.

I just finished 'A feast of crows' in the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. Began watching the game of thrones series and decided that I should pick up the books. Now I'm gonna try and get through 'The Illuminatus! Trilogy'.
As far as I know, only Borders tend to stock them. I don't know Australian book stores, but if they have Waterstones, I wouldn't bother trying them. The UK ones never have them in. As a US book series, it is a struggle finding stores outside of the US that bother to stock any of them. Some libraries might have older copies floating around. You can always recognise a Rex Stout novel by the attrociously dated and tacky looking cover art.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
maninahat said:
MercurySteam said:
What do they talk about?

Provides backstory such as The Pendulum Wars , The Siege of Anvil Gate and the initial Hammer of Dawn deployment and fills in the gaps between Gears 1 and 2 and betweeen Gears 2 and 3. It introduces characters such as Jace Stratton [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Jace], Sam Byrne [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Sam] and Bernie Mataki [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Bernadette_Mataki] and provides details of the earlier life of Marcus, Hoffman, Prescott, Bernie, etc.

Bezz_Ad

Apr 4, 2011
"A Feast for Crows" and goddamn, it's boring me to tears. I don't care about any of those water dudes at all. I'm almost at the half of the book. But I most finish it, "A Dance with Dragons" awaits me.

Tibs

Mar 23, 2011
This topic.

I myself am not interested in books usually so I tend to avoid reading them. Though I do enjoy most books I get assigned at my school.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
maninahat said:
MercurySteam said:
What do they talk about?

"I leant out from behind a wall and fired. I went back behind the wall. I reloaded, and then celebrated like I won an olympic gold medal because I put the magazine in quicker than usual. I leant out again and fired. Leant out and fired. Leant..."
I ran down the muddy brown road, I could hear some brown horror scream as it chased me from behind, so close it's footsteps slapped the dirty earth only metres behind me. My huge grey gun and grey armour were weighing me down, I knew I could not outrun the foul beast, so I took cover behind a small chest-high brown wall. I leant out from behind the wall and fired. The muzzle flash bringing a sudden flash of violent red into the otherwise brown and grey landscape, only for a second, and then it was gone. I leant out again and fired. Leant out and fired. Leant...

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson.

Very heavy, very involved historical fiction. Definitely have to be in a reading mood to take everything in, and its only book one of three "The Baroque Cycle"

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
maninahat said:
As far as I know, only Borders tend to stock them. I don't know Australian book stores, but if they have Waterstones, I wouldn't bother trying them. The UK ones never have them in. As a US book series, it is a struggle finding stores outside of the US that bother to stock any of them. Some libraries might have older copies floating around. You can always recognise a Rex Stout novel by the attrociously dated and tacky looking cover art.
No, we don't have Waterstones, and I find the Borders here leave a lot to be desired. Thankfully, Dymocks (who seems to be the biggest chain down in Sydney at least) are surprisingly well-stocked if you have the patience to look properly. And if I can't find it, there's always Amazon, I just prefer trying to support bookstores first.