So, what are you reading right now?

woodaba

May 31, 2011
maninahat said:
woodaba said:
Game of thrones.
That one comes up a lot. What is it exactly?
Its an incredibly high-quality political drama in a fantasy world. They also made a 10-part HBO series based on it, and its regularly featured on this very website.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
The Silmarillion, never could get into it before but for some reason I can now.

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
Uh...I recently finished reading Jurassic Park. I think the characters were more enjoyable to care about than in the movie, but the ending left me a little discontent.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Tibs said:
This topic.

I myself am not interested in books usually so I tend to avoid reading them. Though I do enjoy most books I get assigned at my school.
Please, PLEASE try reading something other than assigned books. You'll find something you like and you hopefull will get a healthier interest in literature.

Anyway, right now I'm finishing up Jingo by Terry Pratchett. Next up: The Fifth Elephant.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I'm reading The Name Of The Wind. A member here recommended it to me, said the Fable soundtrack reminded him of that book. I'm only a few chapters in but damn I love it already.

And said member was right; I read it while listening to the Fable 1 and 2 OST's and woah do they enchance the reading experience. Absolutely fantastic.
artanis_neravar said:
I am reading Children of the Mind (the forth book in the Ender Quartet) for the 5th time since I was 11ish
Finished Ender's Game a while back, didn't expect that there would be a sequel, let alone three more books. So are the follow-ups on par with the first one? The first one's ending was something I expected from a Dune novel, do the sequels follow that trend?
The second one is the real book, it's the story that Card really wanted to tell and the only reason he made Ender's Game into a novel was to include the ending so he could start Speaker better. But to answer your question, the next three are different but just as good. If you are reading them for the first time I think you will be just as pleased with the endings. It is important to note that while Ender's Game could be a stand alone book, the next three are all direct sequels. All four tell the story of Ender, but Ender's Game tells one story of his life, and the next three tell a second one.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
Greatjusticeman said:
I'm reading The Waste Lands - the third book in Stephen King's, The Dark Tower, series.

Really enthralled. Can definitely see the vast improvement in his writing as you go from book 1 to book 3 of them.
Oh really? I just finished book 1 after a month (I read the Harry Potter series in a week, and LotR in a week for reference), because I found it bored me to tears, the writing was pretentious and gave far too many "carrots-on-a-stick" for me to properly care for Roland. Also, King makes a point of making every bloody reference he can to either High-Fantasy or pop culture. Should I bother reading the 2nd?

woodaba said:
maninahat said:
woodaba said:
Game of thrones.
That one comes up a lot. What is it exactly?
Its an incredibly high-quality political drama in a fantasy world. They also made a 10-part HBO series based on it, and its regularly featured on this very website.
Apart from the politics (which is fantastic), there's enough magical abilities to give the series a mysterious edge, but not enough that you can't believe in the series' world. It's a very grown up series with excellent character development and sharp writing (I've laughed many times at Tyrion).

vioray

Mar 23, 2011
Confessor, the eleventh book of the Sword of Truth series. once I finish the series I'll hit Song Of Ice And Fire

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
The forums.

But I'm playing Red Faction at the moment and I want to pick up some Asimov books based on that.Mainly "The Martian Way".Unfortunately I don't have that so I'm going to wallow in self pitty.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
I just finished reading American Gods a week ago, now i'm reading Good Omens, both by Neil Gaimen. I'm also listening to HP Lovecraft short stories on my ipod at work.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Switching between For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway, Hamlet, and funnily enough, Titanicus by Dan Abnett. Which is a Warhammer 40k book. So despite being a book, it wouldn't exist if not for gaming. I am also now that batshit insane lady who reads Hamlet aloud on the train because it just doesn't sound right in my head.

Spicy103

Jun 22, 2011
I have just finished reading and analysing the epic greek tragedy Medea by Euripides so I guess you could say I am currently searching for a new text. Any ideas? I tend to enjoy great novels such as those that challenge social conventions and push boundaries perhaps with an interesting psychological element.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hafnium said:
About Obama's comment, I'm a bit disappointed that he made it a point about games. Games are a form of entertainment, that I find much more interesting than the others. It's not fair to bathe it in a negative light while not mentioning that the problem is inactivity and too much time spent on entertainment in general. I guess a president with a positive view on games would lose too much support.
He didn't make it about games. The editorial was about being a good dad (you know, because it went out on Father's Day?) and the comment was about encouraging your children to be literate and do well in school. Here's the quote: "And every father can encourage his child to turn off the video games and pick up a book; to study hard and stay in school. Every father can pack a healthy lunch for his son, or go outside and play ball with his daughter."

What's so terrible about that?

OT: I'm currently reading a Star Wars novel. The particular book is Tyrant's Test: Book 3 of The Black Fleet Crisis. It's an older EU novel, from back when Bantam Spectra was publishing lots of trilogies, instead of huge 10 book plus series like whoever is publishing them now does. I know it's not the most intellectual book ever, but I just got done with my junior year of college; I do enough highbrow reading for class, and if I'm going to read anything this Summer, it's going to be something light, and preferably pulpy.

Captcha:

They must have finished the trial with the other captchas; I'm back to getting recaptcha, when I had been getting the one that had ads in it.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I'm in the middle of Badass, by Ben Thomson, and book six of the Wheel of Time Series. I'm also eagerly awaiting Dance with Dragons for july

Drtfgf5

May 24, 2011
The book I'm reading is 'Metro 2033'
Another is a book where I read a chapter a day is 'Gone'
That is all.