So What Do You Guys Think of the Slender Man Movie That was Funded by Kickstarter?

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012

So the Slender Man now has a movie of its own, and I rather like it. Yeah that chick got annoying at the end with her screaming but the Slender Man itself was quite accurate to the myth as far as I know (and believe me I have read and seen a lot of Slender Man stuff). But what do you guys think?

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Whoa! Watching this right now, I will get back to you! Ive been really getting into this lately with all the Marble Hornets stuff, and the Slender games.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Ok i've never heard of slenderman outside a couple posts on this site.

I'm 30 min in and engrossed.
I'll write more when i get back to the house and finish watching...

cont;d

Build up mostly so far from the looks of it. Mythology getting fleshed out.
Not terrible, I've seen worse romantic comedies. This looks more like a blair witch-- and I saw that shit in the theaters...

con'td

Shit just got real. What the f

con'td

woah, now i'm getting spooked.

con'td

ok dad thats just fucked right up and WHAT

con'td

Best internet movie i've seen since snakes on a plane.

easy.

Three Stars

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Wasnt too bad. I really enjoy the Slenderman Stuff. The audio could have been better in places, but overall very cool. I like their take on it all.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Just one question before I watch, does it have jump scares? Because I fucking hate those.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
lordcloud47 said:
Whoa! Watching this right now, I will get back to you! Ive been really getting into this lately with all the Marble Hornets stuff, and the Slender games.
So, what are your thoughts?

Edit: Whoops, nevermind your thoughts only just came up.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Ah curses! It's a long one and I don't have much bandwidth left >_<

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
cojo965 said:
lordcloud47 said:

Its all good! Though I could probably go into better detail.
Slenderman, as a mythos isnt scary by himself. You have to kind of get into the mindset that he IS watching you, and that he IS coming for you. The movie captures this wonderfully using the first person shaky cam perspective. The plot is broken up nicely through several perspectives. Being the Kids, detective and etc. Its paced well, and that acting isnt horrible. Its a jumpscare kinda movie, which is effective and not over the top. It builds the suspense, which is what slenderman is good at (You know what Im talking about if youve played the games). As I said before, only complaint is the sound quality at moments,

Its pretty good.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
OlasDAlmighty said:
Just one question before I watch, does it have jump scares? Because I fucking hate those.
Well if I recall correctly, there's nothing too major but they are there. It's not like most modern horror movies where they would rather fill the screen with overblown action and is terrified that the audience will lose interest if there hasn't been a jump scare or kill scene every ten fucking minutes. No, this movie is more interested in building the setup and mythology first while dropping the occasional Slender Man sighting before the final act allows us to see what an angry Slender Man is truly capable of.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
lordcloud47 said:
cojo965 said:
lordcloud47 said:

Slenderman, as a mythos isnt scary by himself. You have to kind of get into the mindset that he IS watching you, and that he IS coming for you. The movie captures this wonderfully using the first person shaky cam perspective. The plot is broken up nicely through several perspectives. Being the Kids, detective and etc. Its paced well, and that acting isnt horrible. Its a jumpscare kinda movie, which is effective and not over the top. It builds the suspense, which is what slenderman is good at (You know what Im talking about if youve played the games). As I said before, only complaint is the sound quality at moments,

Its pretty good.
What did you think about the final act when Slender Man gets to flex his supernatural muscle and the apparent Proxy of the film?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Something came out of Kickstarter? Wow :D
I think slenderman has been milked a bit now, but a film takes time to make so you can't blame them. Interesting to see they've put it for free on youtube though.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
...I don't see why this was something that needed a Kickstarter in the first place. Unless they somehow had no software/equipment on hand before, which I doubt.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Since you asked, not interested in the myth at all, nor anything even related to slender man, at any point. I do like when kickstarter works the way it should, though.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Eh, it was alright.

... just spent about five minutes trying to elaborate on this point, btu I can't. It was watchable, since I just watched it, but nothing especially special or memorable.

Maybe Slenderman is like the Silence - once you stop looking at it, you forget what's happened and are just left with a lingering sense of unease.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
why did slenderman suddenly get so popular? i mean the boogie man isnt anything new but ever since slender, he has just been all over the fuckin place

Comrade Richard

Dec 18, 2012
Actually, Slash, he doesn't seem that very popular. Sure you can bump into stuff about him every now and again but normally you aren't going to get knee-deep into it unless you actively seek it out. I personally am ambivalent to the whole thing; I'm a fan of eldritch horror but the Slender Mythos never really held my interest to a significant degree.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
00slash00 said:
why did slenderman suddenly get so popular? i mean the boogie man isnt anything new but ever since slender, he has just been all over the fuckin place
Same reason rick-rolling got popular. It's sorta funny the first time, so everyone keeps doing it until it gets funny again. Like watching sideshow Bob step on rakes for a zillion times.

Then you get rip-offs like the Silence. Pft, The Tall Man was scarier than Slenderman.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Interesting. Gonna watch this now. Hopefully it'll help cure this hangover, but I seriously doubt it!

Will edit this post after I've watched. c:

Edit: Meh. It was OK.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
cojo965 said:
lordcloud47 said:
cojo965 said:
lordcloud47 said:

Its pretty good.
What did you think about the final act when Slender Man gets to flex his supernatural muscle and the apparent Proxy of the film?
It was surprising. And interesting. I thought the movie could have ended with where it was before the video call between all the friends.
Not sure with the last question. IDK if I follow what you mean.