So what do you think about cannabis?

themattd1000

Nov 16, 2009
Well I want to know what my fellow escapist think about the drug cannabis, more commonly known as pot or weed. Do you think it should be kept illegal and dangerous or do you think legalizing it will bring profit and prosperity? Lets try and keep this an argument based on what you think should be legal rather than what you agree with the current laws. If that makes any sense.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I don't really care. I haven't and will never do it, butif other people want to do it, then good for them. They can do whatever the hell they want. Also should never be a class B.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I don't think legalizing it is a good idea - mainly for people who actually smoke it. Where I live anyway, right now it's barely policed, all you get is a slap on the wrist if caught with it, and it's not illegal to smoke it. It's relatively affordable because it's so popular and there is so much competition amongst dealers and there are a ton of local grow ops. People on 4/20 keep ranting on and on about freedom and legalization, but all legalizing it would do is jack up the price and cause the government to tax it. All the local grow ops would be shut down, and they would be paying a crap ton more. I think people should just be happy that it isn't policed harder and just let it be one of those things where the government and law just ignore it as a policy.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I can see some of the logic in legalising it, but I still don't want that to happen. It is bad enough illegal, I don't want it to become more widespread.
It stinks. Really bad. And makes people I know act like morons.
But really, the stink. So bad. Disgusting.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I think its awesome should be legal. Helps me sleep, helps me relax and just take a step back and enjoy life and get prepared to tackle tomorrow. Though thats my thing and its not for everyone.

MarcFirewing

Sep 17, 2010
I'm for both. Legalized because it doesn't really do much but get people in trouble for having it, but also illegal for the fact that, as Greyfox said, its scent is horrible. Besides isn't it already in a legalized form? Getting a doctor's note or something? I don't follow the law anymore so correct me if I'm wrong.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
There's already been several topics like this before so I can't be assed to go into the specifics, but in summery all logic points to it should be legalized. Its economically a brilliant move and the laws against it are useless in the first place. It won't make it more popular, if you want to get weed when its illegal you will still get it.

Personally I don't care for it, and people who become major potheads are some of the dullest, brain-dead people you could meet. But aside from the annoying subculture surrounding it and people who do it far too much, smoking it doesn't make someone a bad person. You can still be a nice person, a smart person and a productive member of society while using it recreationally.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I swear we had a topic like this yesterday. But alas, nevermind

I think that it does barely any harm to you and as long as you get a good source it actually has health benefits.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Tried it and it doesn't really do much for me. If you want to do it that's fine, it probably should be legal.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I have it from time to time, and damn I enjoy it. especially with a bunch of friends, you can have the most fun talking about fuck all.

I don't understand why it's even illegal. Oh well.

UFOROMANTIC

Nov 8, 2010
Smoked 4 times, ingested once. Overrated.
Should be legal, though. Marijuana possession turns a lot of otherwise innocent people into criminals, who then clog the prison system and are a burden on American tax payers. To say nothing of the fact that the revenue that ready-made reefer in stores would generate...

mastiffchild

May 27, 2010
If people are ANYTHING to go by thy will ALWAYS keep taking drugs and while there's a market people will be prepared to supply them-all keeping ANY drug illegal does is make the purity go down and the price go up. This can lead to a spiral of drug related crime from burglaries through pyramid dealing to users being made criminal-all of which costs tax pa7ers money and ties up the police in a futile "war on drugs" they have no belief in and zero chance of ever winning.
People might not like it but they need to hear that prohibition never works. It just doesn't and shouldn't people before to put whatever they want in their own bodies anyway? We're all grown ups and know the risks and if it's legal and standardised you take all that money out of the black market and criminals hands, lose fewer people to crime and OD(obviously not a risk with weed), free up the police and take the prices down to a level where burgs and muggings shouldn't be such a crippling issue. with the money saved you can put in place education and drug treatment programs and, imho, going to the pharmacy and not to your mates to get your drugs and making them legal takes the romance out of it anyway. I don't think MORE people would use ANYTHING as if you want to you can now anyway. The main benefits, though, are in saving police hours wasted in the merry go round of drug related crime and making fewer users OD as the supply would be of set purity and so on.

I'm not some liberal drug proponent I'm just sick of the hypocrisy surrounding this issue and don't think you can split the harder and softer drugs while we have tobacco and alcohol legal which cause bigger social issues than any of the illegal drugs ever could. We keep trying to keep these things banned and it's just a money drain and every day I see a couple more methadone ODs because people use on top and don't know the purity of their Heroin etc. In the UK , for example, when Heroin was legal(as recently as the 1960s)when had a handful of registered addicts getting it from their doctors. We criminalise it and now that number has shot through the sodding roof and supports gang related crime the country over. We NEED a new approach not just for Pot but for every drug there is. Not time to be squeamish about it either-maybe there's a halfway house but, to me, while some serious(and Alcohol has SERIOUS health and social problems FFS)drugs are lega and other's aren't governments don't even have any moral or logical high ground and criminalising things has only led to ore widespread use.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Not for everyone, but there's no satifactory reason why it shouldn't be decriminalised, at the very least.

Feb 13, 2008
Decriminalised, not made legal.

And some proper research put into the long-term effects, rather than going with stupid phrases like paranoia and memory loss.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Personally I think we should make it illegal to sell cigarettes which don't have cannabis. That way at least the people who would otherwise smoke will either quit or they will have much less excessive amounts of the stuff, because there's no way you smoke as much weed as just regular bacci.

So you're buying less stuff, but more potent, with no real harmful side effects other then not being able to operate heavy machinary. It would be more expensive of course, which means that the government gets to keep their tax revenue, but because of less smoke there's a hell of a lot less money that needs to be spent on the health system to deal with cancer.

Also there's the other reasonable arguements for legalised weed; Shops would make sure it's not laced with lsd or anything since it can come back to them, the government gets the revenue from it and drug dealers don't cause a bloody mess.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
As been said so many times on this subject: Legalize it and tax the ever living hell out of it. Also to quote Daniel Tosh, as I always do with this subject: "Legalize pot, so potheads never have anything to talk about anymore and move on to big boy drugs like heroin."

Note: I don't condone drug use. I think it's pretty damn stupid. I'm just really tired of hearing all the "legalize" it crap because potheads really don't shut up.

Edit: Corrected spelling of Heroin.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
UFOROMANTIC said:
Should be legal, though. Marijuana possession turns a lot of otherwise innocent people into criminals, who then clog the prison system and are a burden on American tax payers. To say nothing of the fact that the revenue that ready-made reefer in stores would generate...
This, basically.

I've tried it from time to time. I don't really like the sensation of losing control of my body, so it's not really that enjoyable to me.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
Never tried it during high school or college and I still don't get the appeal. I used to look down on people who did it but now I have a "what others do with they're lives doesn't affect me at all" stance on life so its not something I really ever think about since it...has nothing to do with me.

If you enjoy it good for you though I guess.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I do it like once a month and I'm totally fine, people are way too quick too judge it. I mean of course some cheap pot from the dealer on the block is gonna fuck your day up. But just go out and buy some good quality and everything will be fine. It should be legelized atleast then goverments can keep a solid eye on the (as far as possible) I mean why get low quality, illegal pot if you can get the slightly more expensive high quality legal.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I suppose I think that if alchol is legal then cannabis should. I mean, I don't know how many DUI accidents have happened while under the influence of cannabis, but it must be far less than those caused by too much alcohol right?

If it matters, I don't drink alcohol or smoke pot. In fact, although I've been tipsy/drunk from alcohol a few times in my life, I've never done any other drugs at all. Never seen the point of falsely induced euphoria, especially as it would be so easy to fall into addiction.

[sub][sub][sub]Dammit, I promised myself this morning I wouldn't post again for a whole month. I am weak =([/sub][/sub][/sub]

EDIT: I forgot to add it also often makes you do stupid things to my list of why I think drugs are bad m'kay. Often those stupid things hurt other people. Everything in moderation. Stupid is as piss-drunk does. /PSA