So what exactly IS Shadow of Mordor

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
Just don't buy Mordor and put the money you would have spent in the new graphics card fund. Then do the same for the next 3 full price releases, and bam, you have yourself a brand new GTX 660.

Hell, do it another 2 or 3 more times or so and you have enough to buy nvidia's most recent GPU, the GTX 970, which both outperforms it's more expensive older brother, the 780.
Dude, just stop. Please. I don't live in the US, UK or any similar country. Prices are entirely different here and are pretty far from what you're comparing here.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Middle-earth shadow of Mordor is Orc Murdering simulator 2014. It simulates Orc murdering very well with its nemesis A.I. system but anything else is beyond the scope of the developer's vision.

1."you're a badass hero, go save the world from an evil guy that's evil because he's evil"? Welcome to 1954 Tolkien fantasy where Sauron is Lucifer and it's all a Catholic Bible fanfic.

2. The Batman Arkham games meets Assassin's Creed

3. 8 - 10 hours to do just the main missions but it's an open world game so just doing main story is "playing the game wrong."

4. Challenge varies biased on player actions and the perks the orc captains roll. If you want to play hard mode attack the war-chiefs without taking out the captain supporters first.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
1. One-note revenge story. Gruff, angry man. I mean, there's nothing especially wrong with it, and I don't mind it all that much. It's just a little bit of a cliche.

2. Pretty much already answered. Think Arkham games, but more satisfyingly visceral.

3. My first playthrough was 16 hours and I'd guess a good amount of those were spent on side missions, so I'd say 10-11 hours just trying to go through main missions as fast as possible.

4. It becomes less challenging as you adapt to the game and gain more powerful abilities. Once you get used to the combat and have the ability to turn uruks to your side things tend to get a lot easier.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ninja666 said:
1. Is the storyline something original and mature, or the standard "you're a badass hero, go save the world from an evil guy that's evil because he's evil"?
2. What's the combat and gameplay in general like? What games would you compare it to?
3. How long is the main story/campaign, when you don't elongate it with pointless collectibles?
4. Is the game challenging (with definition of "challenging" being Dark Souls' "hard but fair" attitude)?
1) Kinda sorta not really. The story boils down to "main character watches his family be murdered in front of his eyes, wakes up a couple days later and swears to kill the guy responsible so that the curse keeping him alive and separated from his family can be broken". There's some real depth to it, but it's mostly in the subtext. The story is basically about a guy with a death wish who literally cannot die embarking on a bitter quest to break the curse placed upon him, but they never go into of the real issues such a thing is so ripe to discuss, which is a shame.

2) It's basically "Assassin's Creed with Arkham-style combat". Movement in the wider world is very heavily inspired by Assassin's Creed (you can climb just about anything, jump off things, stealth kill orcs, etc). The open combat is pretty much ripped straight out of Arkham City (which makes sense, because they use the same engine I'm pretty sure). It's a free-flowing two-button affair, with an "attack" button, a "counter" button, and a combo meter that, every 8(5 with upgrades) hits allows you to use a special finishing move.

I adore it, to be perfectly honest.

3) Roughly 10 hours for the main story campaign, but that's honestly a pretty small portion of the game. Playing with the Nemesis system, avenging yourself on Uruks that have killed you, mind controlling captains and setting them against each other, etc all tend to organically rise to the forefront of the gameplay experience, for me at least.

4) Kinda. The game is "hard but fair" insofar as it's pretty easy to die, and when you do, it's pretty much always because you fucked up in some fashion, and it's generally fairly clear what you could have done to escape that death.

It's not nearly as difficult as Dark Souls is though. There's a few occasions that can get dicey (for example, early on I got ambushed by 5 separate Uruk captains at the same time and was thoroughly bent over a barrel), but those situations are random, organic outcomes of the open world setup rather than any intentional design.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
ninja666 said:
AMD Radeon HD series 7770 1GB
Are you sure that card isn't DX11 compatible? I'm sure all the Radeons from the 5000 series onwards were. A quick Google search shows DX11 benchmarks, too.

DX11 has been the standard for new graphics cards since 2009, so if you bought your rig a year ago I'd be very surprised if it were only DX10. There have already been some games that were DX11-only even before the launch of the new consoles.

What operating system are you using?

I dunno how well the game runs on PC, though, since I'm playing on PS4.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
ninja666 said:
AMD Radeon HD series 7770 1GB
Are you sure that card isn't DX11 compatible? I'm sure all the Radeons from the 5000 series onwards were. A quick Google search shows DX11 benchmarks, too.

DX11 has been the standard for new graphics cards since 2009, so if you bought your rig a year ago I'd be very surprised if it were only DX10. There have already been some games that were DX11-only even before the launch of the new consoles.

I dunno how well the game runs on PC, though, since I'm playing on PS4.
I was going to ask the same thing as well. I use a 7870, and a 5770 before, both of which were DX11 compatible. As far as I'm aware the 7770 isn't that far below the one I have.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I'll tell you the story of Pûg Fleet Foot, a lowly, scrawny orc who was minding his own business under the shadow of broken tower with two of his uruk palls. He had the scare of his life when some darkly clad pigskin came crashing down, dagger first, onto Grom, killing him instantly. The human, with one quick movement, slit Nathôg's throat, leaving the only one standing, you guessed it, Pûg. Completely shocked by that unusual display of violence (for a ranger) the little orc mustered what courage he had left in the back of his head and charged his friends' killer. Strangely, the man put up no fight, and seemingly let himself be clubbed to death. And that's how Pûg received the rank of Captain, but that's not how his story ends.

He quickly rose the ranks, overcoming difficult challenges with an eerie ease. From the corner of his piss-yellow eyes, the ashen skinned orc believed he saw a shadowy figure on multiple occasions, felling Pûg's opposition for him, but running away as soon as the orc turned his attention towards the figure's location. Not even a week after that lucky accident, Pûg had become Warchief, a rank the simple orc had figured to be unattainable. With the power grew the respect for him, and not long after his promotion he was assigned a bodyguard, a tough looking uruk with a shield the size of Pûg. A second bodyguard joined his posse, follow by a third, a fourth and... a fifth? It wasn't unusual for strong and imposing warchiefs to have a large gang backing them up, but even the most feared leaders didn't have five bodyguards guarding them at all times.

Pûg, however, wasn't concerned. He believed himself to be nigh immortal; assisted by a divine figure and defended by five uruks twice the size of him, nothing could go wrong. Until, of course, his hunter bodyguard defied him openly in front of his whole crew of guards. He had lured Pûg away from his gang to ask him something about the next feast. Not even one second after the backstabbing guard had spoken his betrayal, Pûg felt a blade enter his spleen. Once again he felt that complete terror he had felt that afternoon his palls were killed by the human. Twisting his head he saw the blue-grey eyes of the dead ranger staring into his soul. With a faint whisper Pûg died, betrayed by his five guards, and stabbed by his divine providence.

If you enjoy setting up these kinds of stories for yourself, you should play the game.

P.S.:I did get the achievement ;)

abcodi123

Oct 8, 2014
Thanks for the help everyone even i was wondering if it was worth playing, i think i will give it a try.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
ScrabbitRabbit said:

Well, dxdiag shows that I have DX11 installed. However, I'd never been able to pick DX11 rendering for any game I played, even FC3 - it was always greyed out and/or reverted to DX9/10 when chosen.

EDIT: Just checked DDI version in dxdiag. It says 11, which is strange since I've never been able to choose DX11 in games.