So What On Earth Is PlayStation's Panopticon?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
So What On Earth Is PlayStation's Panopticon?

Future London and lots of fighting are definitely involved.

Once there was a webpage, and a countdown timer; now there's a teaser trailer, but details are sketchy about whatever this PlayStation title Panopticon might be. It's alternate future, probably set in London for the most part, and appears to involve some kind of prison state in which the penalty for ... actually that's not at all clear, but anyway the penalty for whatever-it-is involves cyber dragons. And surgery. Possibly also countdown timers, and lots of combat. Because why not?

The name itself is fairly evocative, but whether it's trying to reference the website [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon] also features a date, 21st May 2013, when - presumably - more will be revealed.

Until then, we'll just have to be patient.

Source: PlayStation [http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/panopticon/]

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Androgynous Characters? Multi-coloured hair? Teenage leads? Mechas and Mafic? Forced symbolism? Crappy looking robes and weird Sci-Fi stuff?

It's a JRPG.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Interesting that they chose the same day as microsoft is planning to reveal the new xbox aswell.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
21st May? Well Sony are obviously either idiots or ridiculously confident (or both!) in this considering that's the same day as the NextBox reveal.

Anyway, anyone else think the trailer music sounds very Metal Gear Solid-esque?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
broken-serenity said:
Interesting that they chose the same day as microsoft is planning to reveal the new xbox aswell.
Andy Shandy said:
21st May? Well Sony are obviously either idiots or ridiculously confident (or both!) in this considering that's the same day as the NextBox reveal.

Assuming it's the 21st Japan time, it will be at least half a day before the NextBox reveal.

Seems like an interesting trailer, possibly a new JRPG IP for the PS4 launch lineup?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Very.

But otherwise, I dunno, looks like if someone mixed SMT and God Eaters: Burst or whatever that name is together. Plus there's this whole ticking down of (I'm assuming) lifelines. I'll keep an eye open for news on this.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like the artstyle, but I feel most of it seems really generic. The monster/mecha design really wasn't doing it for me.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Well, consedering the trailer's artstyle and that it has a CERO rating, I am pretty confident we can say it's main target audience it's Japan. And Japan just doesn't care about Microsoft.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Looks pretty interesting, although who knows if its for the Vita, PS3, or PS4. Sort of wish this was for the Vita, don't know why (except for the basic "Vita needs more love"). But hey! Another possible JRPG!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
VanQ said:
Assuming it's the 21st Japan time, it will be at least half a day before the NextBox reveal.
A fair point. I'll admit I didn't actually think of that when I read the article. =P
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Why is it stupid? Quite a lot of people will be online ready to watch the NextBox reveal, so why not show something that will (most likely) not be revealed during the same exact time, but a bit earlier?
Again, another good point, provided that it isn't too close to the reveal, like VanQ said, you may well be right that it might in fact be better for them since people are going to be online anyway.
Penguinplayer said:
Well, consedering the trailer's artstyle and that it has a CERO rating, I am pretty confident we can say it's main target audience it's Japan. And Japan just doesn't care about Microsoft.
And of course, this could always just be the reason for it XD

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... I'm getting Watch_Dogs meets Final Fantasy here... And I'm not really interested in either... nor am I interested in the Playstation...

It looks okay though...

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
So, from what I'm getting so far is that the thing over their head is a timer that starts at 1.000.000 (birth) and counts down the older they get. If it gets to 0 you probably die...

I'm not sure what to make of the other things in this video.

Overall looks of course like a jrpg.

james0192

Meh!
Oct 12, 2009
A panopticon could also be reference to the one of the ideas of the french philosopher Michel Foucault who used the prison idea as metaphor for a disciplinary, authoritarian society that watches everything.

Oh how I love my history degree... /sarcasm

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
They're not even trying anymore. They're using anything that pops into their heads. I'm a fan of trying new things and approaches, but one anything-works-in-this-universe game is more than enough (I mean Final Fantasy). Sad to see absurdity prevail in the Japanese games and anime.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Do the numbers above everyone's head mean the amount of time they have until death? Because it's counting down and that new-born baby had one million above it...

Reminds me of In Time.