So.. what the hell happened to this place eh?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
https://youtu.be/araU0fZj6oQ?t=38

(So video embeds aren't working?)

So it's been awhile since I've last poked my head in this place, and I saw on the Philip Defranco show that Defy Media closed up shop.... and suddenly theres content on The Escapist and MovieBob is back (I shall be polite least I am banned)

What the hell happened to this place? What happened to our fun little wild west forum?

Someone fill old DB in here. I haven't posted since, holy shit, last october... And where the fuck is my avatar?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Russ Pitts bought The Escapist and tries to get it back on its feet. Also, at some point the forum will be ported over to the new site but this seems to be a pretty difficult thing to do. The Wild West was closed because... reasons. I don't really know, to be honest. I always found it pretty neat there. But apparently there was... too much bullying or something.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I can see your avatar fine. Maybe try clearing your cache?

Otherwise, the site was bought from Defy by Enthusiast Gaming a few months back and is in the process of being relaunched by Russ Pitts & co. Forums should be moving to join the rest of the site soon.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Wild West was purged like the cancer it was. Loads of users couldn't handle rules and were banned within the month.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
You probably need to search google and then re-navigate to escapist, but there is a "volume 2" out now, which is a new site, still largely under construction. I'm not in love with it thus far (it acts like a mobile website even on my computer), but it isn't done yet so judgement withheld.

Moviebob is back, Jim is not, Yahtzee didn't leave, LLR is I guess on good terms with the new owners but they haven't returned. I haven't seen any indication as to whether the site is doing well or poorly, at least relative to the last time you were here. If you go by comments, Yahtz is doing Ok, everyone else way less so. If you go by views (youtube), can't tell for articles, but once again Yahtz is doing ok, everyone else way less so. I hope things pick up, but I imagine it will be a fairly slow process.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
https://youtu.be/araU0fZj6oQ?t=38

(So video embeds aren't working?)

So it's been awhile since I've last poked my head in this place, and I saw on the Philip Defranco show that Defy Media closed up shop.... and suddenly theres content on The Escapist and MovieBob is back (I shall be polite least I am banned)

What the hell happened to this place? What happened to our fun little wild west forum?

Someone fill old DB in here. I haven't posted since, holy shit, last october... And where the fuck is my avatar?
I thought you were here around the time when they closed the wild west.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Defy is closing?

*Looks at the Internet*

Good.

It does say they own Smosh games and I do enjoy me some Honest Games Trailers, so does that mean that series is over?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JoJo said:
I can see your avatar fine. Maybe try clearing your cache?
My avatar defaulted to generic male in baseball hat for a while and fixed itself on its own. It seems the spit and bailing wire holding this place together ain't what it used to be.

Which is fine, before I upset anyone, because I know they're planning a new forum for the new site, I'm just saying...code is old and buggy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Defy is closing?

*Looks at the Internet*

Good.

It does say they own Smosh games and I do enjoy me some Honest Games Trailers, so does that mean that series is over?
They sold off screenjunkies. I thought HGT was under that umbrella.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Redlin5 said:
We have owners who care about this place again. That's the biggest news.
I mean, I'm happy to that extent, I just wished it happened sooner. The brand has suffered quite a bit.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Traitor! So what have you been doing since you haven't been coming here? Did you go to Arnox's forum?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Drathnoxis said:
Traitor! So what have you been doing since you haven't been coming here? Did you go to Arnox's forum?
I thought that forum didn't go very well. I visited a couple of times but never got the compunction to post anything

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
IceForce said:
What happened last October that caused you to leave?
I'd be more interested in the reverse; what would make you come back to this place?

TopazFusion

Dec 11, 2011
For anyone returning after a long absence, please be aware we have a slightly adjusted and revised code of conduct in effect.

The main reason I mention this is because there's now a rule against talking about a certain particular topic that dominated this forum 3-4 years ago, (and threads asking "What the hell happened here?" -- ie: threads just like this one -- tend to always stray towards that topic).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Russ Pitts bought The Escapist and tries to get it back on its feet. Also, at some point the forum will be ported over to the new site but this seems to be a pretty difficult thing to do. The Wild West was closed because... reasons. I don't really know, to be honest. I always found it pretty neat there. But apparently there was... too much bullying or something.
The funny thing is Wild West got closed long before Russ Pitts bought the website. So bad it was that even under Defy media guidance the WW forum was eventually seemed as unacceptable.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
CaitSeith said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
The funny thing is Wild West got closed long before Russ Pitts bought the website. So bad it was that even under Defy media guidance the WW forum was eventually seemed as unacceptable.
What "Defy Media guidance"?

The WW forum was closed simply because moderators didn't like it, no one from Defy Media gave a shit about this forum or what went on here 🤷‍♂️ Saying that the WW was so bad that even the already terrible Defy Media couldn't handle it any longer is hogwash.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bluegate said:
IceForce said:
What happened last October that caused you to leave?
I'd be more interested in the reverse; what would make you come back to this place?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll chime in with "morbid curiosity."

Also, a lot of free time due to injury and hospitalisation, but mostly people started talking about this place slighbtly before Bob Chipman's big announcement.