So what will you be eating this holiday season?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
- Turkey crown wrapped in bacon (so much easier to cook than a whole turkey)
- Pigs in blankets (aka little sausages wrapped in bacon)
- sausage meat stuffing
- brussel sprouts with bacon and chestnuts
- roast parnips
- roast potatoes

All served with cranberry sauce and gravy

Pretty much your standard christmas dinner and I look forward to it all year

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
What the heck is a turkey crown? I don't think I've ever heard of it before now.

Anyway, it's about my turn:

You already know we're getting lasagna for Christmas Eve. We also got smoked chicken drummettes. My mom was experimenting this year.

For Christmas day, there's two ducks and dressing... Not sure what else we'll get.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
game-lover said:
What the heck is a turkey crown? I don't think I've ever heard of it before now
If you imagine a cooked whole turkey its basically just the top half. It makes more sense as its a hell of a lot easier to cook, prepare and carve than a whole turkey and its mostly all meat (I think theres only one bone) so there isnt as much waste as youd get with a whole turkey

Mar 30, 2010
Got a brace of pheasants this year. Hung them for a week, plucked and gutted them before the mad dash, and will be braising them before putting them in the slow cooker for seven hours ready for dinner. A few steamed greens and some roast tatties complete the picture, with a gravy made from the slow cooker juices. Just my opinion but you can't beat fresh game for Christmas.

Which reminds me - Happy Christmas, Escapists!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Frothy Gibblets said:
There's some interesting stuff being prepared, certainly more interesting than the nearly traditional English Christmas Dinner I will be having.

Turkey Crown - I don't like eating bird meat off the bone and seeing as it's just the Mother and myself there's no point going big with it.
Roast Parsnips/Potatoes - Standard really.
Peas/Carrots/Sprouts - Again standard, although bollocks to tradition I don't have the sprouts they are simply for my mum.
Pigs in Blankets - Now we get to the good stuff, if my dinner could just consist of these and stuffing balls I'd be a happy man.
Batter Pudding - If done well, really nice. I tend to cook both this and the roasties as I seem to make them better.
Onion Sauce/Gravy/Cranberry Sauce.

For Boxing Day my brother and his gf are coming round and we have a Gammon Joint that will be cooked Christmas Day and left to go cold overnight which will be eaten with salady stuff.

My family has never really been super close, so we've never done the whole "have 10-15 people round" thing. I've had to attend a couple with "Step-Family" when my Dad has tried to be good Patriarch and bring everybody together, which then leaves my mum on her own but that's a different topic. I'm sure it's great if you actually like the people involved, although from what I've noticed on forums Americans tend to go more with the whole extended family thing.
First of all; that avatar. I love Hobgoblin ale, it's my favourite tipple by far. I've visited the brewery, I have a t-shirt and several glasses. :)

Secondly, my Christmas dinner will be just me and my dad. Champagne for breakfast, then whiskey and rum for the rest of the day. Oh you meant food? Traditional. Turkey, roasties, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, gravy and stuffing. With a lot of in-betweeners all throughout the day like dry roasted peanuts, all-butter shortbread and Terry's chocolate orange.

I fully expect to feel horrendously ill by this time tomorrow night. And it'll be glorious.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
Sadly I've missed out on most of the Christmas foods. Tonsillitis and nausea are not a good combination come Christmas day.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The finest brussel sprouts covered in cheese and bacon bits. Those little sausages and some stuffing. Turkey, chicken or something similar.