So what's anime like these days?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Dreiko said:
I think that you read too much into that scene or that you're injecting it with things that aren't there so that you can continue to like it without trespassing on whatever belief that would be trespassed upon if you acknowledged it as being primarily lolicon pandering which is what that entire plot line struck me as from the first hints of it, but either way, we both liked that scene so that's good. :p
I think you fail to see the differences in context and presentation. Not every young girl falling in love with an older man is intended as lolicon bait. That doesn't mean certain types of people won't view it that way, especially when said girl is part of a series that wants to be a wish fulfillment fantasy as well. And wouldn't you say that's exactly the problem with Gate? It's a series that can't commit to the heavier themes and storylines it wants to be taken seriously for and keeps fleeing into safe otaku territory again and again.

Also, if anything, you're the one reading into things too much or too little depending on how you want others to percieve whatever you're into. Like that time you said Criminal Girls delved into psychology and some such, creating a deep human experience or whatever. Never did you seem (willing) to notice that the game was actually struggling to justify its whole premise with toe-deep blabla.

If it's boring, you don't need to tell me or convince me of it. I will be bored because boring things are inherently boring and they need no outside help for one to acknowledge them as such. Clearly, I do not find some things boring that you do. Am I wrong in liking what I like? Is pasta carbonarra also too mundane of a favorite food? :p
But would you eat nothing but pasta carbonara every meal of every day of every year?

There's nothing wrong with eating your favourite dish one or maybe twice a week. Indulging a little is only human. However, one problem within the Japanese entertainment industry is that there are a lot of people who'll only eat pasta carbonara. Sure, some chefs make it way too salty, others don't cook the pasta right and the rare one actually makes a really good dish, but overall, it's pasta carbonara over and over again.

(And it's not just within the segment that caters to male otaku, it's just as bad on the female side (especially when it comes to VNs/dating sims and BL manga).)

I don't think there's low or high standards. People just like what they like. What we mean when we say "this person has a high standard in which anime they like" really is "this person doesn't like most anime". It is pretentious to assume that just because you are harder to please for whatever (sometimes none too righteous) reasons that you are somehow more discerning of a fan. It just means that...your taste is what it is and that's fine but that's just your opinion and whatnot.
'People just like what they like', sure, taste matters, but the way you say it imples something worse: discussing entertainment and its merits is pointless because people feel differently. Isn't that mighty convenient? Whatever your opinion is, it's instantly saved by the grace of it being your opinion.

I think that's utter bullshit. The right to have an opinion is equal for all, but not all opinions are equal.

Watch's what you want to watch. Enjoy what you enjoy. Never go further than scratching the surface if that's what you're comfortable with. However, bad opinions exist and we shouldn't give them a pass just because they belong to someone.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
NPC009 said:
\

I think you fail to see the differences in context and presentation. Not every young girl falling in love with an older man is intended as lolicon bait. That doesn't mean certain types of people won't view it that way, especially when said girl is part of a series that wants to be a wish fulfillment fantasy as well. And wouldn't you say that's exactly the problem with Gate? It's a series that can't commit to the heavier themes and storylines it wants to be taken seriously for and keeps fleeing into safe otaku territory again and again.

Also, if anything, you're the one reading into things too much or too little depending on how you want others to percieve whatever you're into. Like that time you said Criminal Girls delved into psychology and some such, creating a deep human experience or whatever. Never did you seem (willing) to notice that the game was actually struggling to justify its whole premise with toe-deep blabla.
I saw Gate as taking a break to relieve some of the tension during those moments. You can argue they took too many breaks but I overall liked the balance.

As for Criminal Girls, what I said was that the actual backstories of the characters are legit good and the way you resolve them is reminiscent of persona, that the combat system of allowing you to pick battle quotes that correspond to actions and change throughout the game as the story advances and as the chars form bonds and become friends are brilliant (so, at the beginning you have the chars coldly refer to one-another but as it progresses there's a lot more personality injected in the action that corresponds to the same exact command, even a basic attack was interesting to do repeatedly thanks to that). Finally, I said that the bdsm minigames are a minute-long skippable footnote that the game uses to market itself imo needlessly, they are actually unnecessary and the game would be just great without them. Their inclusion is more of a testament to the lack of credit good traditional Jrpgs with innovative systems get so when people badmouth the game without even playing it like it happened in that topic I think you are referring I will of course defend it. Now you may want to interpret that as me just really loving to spank anime characters and I can't really help that but I think I justified myself sufficiently both in that topic and here.

But would you eat nothing but pasta carbonara every meal of every day of every year?

There's nothing wrong with eating your favourite dish one or maybe twice a week. Indulging a little is only human. However, one problem within the Japanese entertainment industry is that there are a lot of people who'll only eat pasta carbonara. Sure, some chefs make it way too salty, others don't cook the pasta right and the rare one actually makes a really good dish, but overall, it's pasta carbonara over and over again.

(And it's not just within the segment that caters to male otaku, it's just as bad on the female side (especially when it comes to VNs/dating sims and BL manga).)
See, I make my pasta carbonarra myself, so it's always to my taste! :D

I could legit eat it straight for a week, it's not very healthy cause I make it with bacon, but I definitely could. Thankfully, I like to cook tons of other stuff and I eat everything outside of artichokes and fava, so I have a lot of variety to choose from. (wow, this food metaphor stretched enough and still works, yay)

Hell, I even like otomege like Hakuoki cause they have a good story. I'm quite omnivorous.

'People just like what they like', sure, taste matters, but the way you say it imples something worse: discussing entertainment and its merits is pointless because people feel differently. Isn't that mighty convenient? Whatever your opinion is, it's instantly saved by the grace of it being your opinion.

I think that's utter bullshit. The right to have an opinion is equal for all, but not all opinions are equal.

Watch's what you want to watch. Enjoy what you enjoy. Never go further than scratching the surface if that's what you're comfortable with. However, bad opinions exist and we shouldn't give them a pass just because they belong to someone.

Well, I wouldn't be having this dozen or so post discussion if I felt like there's no merit in discussing these things now, would I? :p

I think this is fun, I just don't like the part about trying to reach a solid conclusion. Discussing it is great and I love analyzing this stuff, it's legit fun, I just don't ever wanna say that anything is right or wrong when it's all interpretation and you can't tell the other person what experience to have. What we can do is share our own view of it with as much detail as possible and hope a small fragment of it stays with the other person as well as whatever lurkers skim around.

For the sake of your defense of analytical approaches, one could say that all of it is right and we're just analyzing different aspects from different perspectives, all of which are true and valuable. More data is always better.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Hey Escapist I thought I'd give an update since I didn't respond to everyone.

Turns out my friend was discussing what shows I might like with another one of our mutral friends and he complied a list adjusting to my taste. I feel a little bad about that but at the same time I really appreciated how thoughtful he was. We ended up watching My Hero Academia tonight and I really loved it. I guess it just went back to be not liking the genre/trend we started out with.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
I will show him Wolf Children (which I've seen before) and we'll watch Your Name for the first time together.