So what's the story behind YOUR avatar pic?

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Hello Escapist, it's me again with another pointless and nosy topic! The subject to day is right there in the title - what's the story behind your avatar? Why'd you pick that picture? How'd you find it? What was your first? Were you just too lazy to change it from the default pic? (I was in that boat for a while) Tell your story! Swap with others! Or ignore me completely! I possess no ability to compel you to do anything!

My first avatar (After the default one) was of Tarvek Sturmvoraus from Girl Genius because, dude, how could you not love Tarvek? Outside of all his backstabbings and manipulations and general dickish behavior.

My current avatar (He's been there for months - I don't like changing it too often) is of Wilson from the game Don't Starve! From the Forbidden Knowledge trailer, specifically. Why Wilson? Well, for one, I was on a bit of a Don't Starve kick when I choose him. For two, I have a thing for the whole Mad Scientist trope. And for three he's fucking adorable. He's got a huge head and a tiny body and he's fluent in oboe and when he runs his limbs all flap about him like tiny noodle arms. How could I say no to that?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
My current avatar is a gif of a dancing fairy from Humanity Has Declined (which you should watch, because it is quite silly)

I change avatars every once in a while and previous avatars include but are not limited to; dancing Andy Kaufman, pink hair skeleton guy from a Mystery Skulls video, and Haruko.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mine is a souvenir from my first foray into online forums.

Way back when I did a bit of basic pixel art for little a open-source turn-based strategy game called Battle for Wesnoth. The entire game - programming, art, design, everything - was made entirely by a motley collection of volunteer who somehow actually managed to hammer out a fully functional little game. It had a really great community around it, since damn near everyone had some measure of investment.

My avatar was the portrait image for the 'Orcish Grunt' unit. I chose it because my first contribution to the game was an attack animation for that unit and because I loved the grumpy look on his face.

I basically never change it and use it for all my online avatar needs.

[sub]PS. Greetinks fellow Gurl Genius reader. Dot comic iz de bomb.[/sub]

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
After years of soul crushing lonely misery, I decided to adopt a Pony avatar under the reasoning that people might love me as they loved those adorable creatures.

:'(

The friendly kind of love, not the clop kind.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Mine is from the an Irish band called The Rubberbandits. After hearing about them through cracked I liked a few of their songs and thought I'd get in on that looping gif avatar stuff and sat down and worked out how to do it. It doesn't loop terribly well but it still amuses me so I've kept it for the last few years. Before that it was probably Scott Pilgrim or FLCL or some such thing.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
It's me, flopping my head around with a shitty old camera on an exposure time that was too long. I use it basically everywhere.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
My sister took a picture of me about two years ago, and I liked how it looked.

Capatcha: That's Enough. ...ok?

UnloadedDevice

Apr 11, 2013
It's Brain drinking mango juice from Pinky and the Brain episode Welcome to the Jungle.

I chose it because everybody loves mango juice! It's so cool, refreshing, and erotic good for you.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Nothing special. I just love Toph, and I managed to find a screen cap from the Avatar comics which IMO is one of the best moments that captures her character. It also fits perfectly into an avatar-sized picture.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
UnloadedDevice said:

OT: My avatar is a character I'm writing, which I used an online tool and a touch of editing with paint afterwards to create, I was pleased enough with that result that I thought it would make a good avatar.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Mine is Mr 47 from Hitman. I use mainly because I like the rounded corners the image has.

Also, I've been called an 'SJW' on this forum quite a few times, and I find my avatar clashes quite nicely and ironically with that accusation (since Hitman is about as un-'SJW' as you can get). So this is all the more reason to keep it.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I honestly don't know how to change my fourm avatar,
Go here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/choose_avatar

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I found mine as a picture comment on a Facebook post. I thought it was hilarious as I often use the word "triggered" to display feigned outrage, and seeing as the Melody Hensley thing has been done to death, thought it was pretty amusing.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
It's Jessica Chobot being suggestive with a guitar, which I made. The avatar, I mean, I didn't make the guitar... The story behind it: because why the hell not. I meant it to be temporary, but I've gotten used to it now.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
UnloadedDevice said:
Welcome to the Jungle.
We got fun and games.

OT: I started of with Alphonse Elric with a bunch of sheep around and I picked it because I liked it. My current one sort of reflects how I feel about some sections of the forums. Max at the start of Fury Road looking upon a wasteland where eats a dog eat dog world with barely any dog to go around. Also its my favourite movie of this year.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I am a cockroach.
I also appreciate a good bow tie.

The fact it looks like something out of a sam and max game is pure coincidence.
The fact I happen to love sam and max in all the mediums it deigns to grace is irrelevant.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I really like Kendrick Lamar and his music. TPAB is fantastic and he is showing no signs of slowing down.

This particular gif was done by Aerosteam over at The Avatar Store, and is a line from the "King Kunta" video:

Picked it because it summarises how I usually feel and how I sometimes ought to feel about everything really. I can be mad but there's no point in stressing.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
It's my face. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my face, I am worthless; without me, my face is worthless.

In all seriousness, I used to use a picture of Dr. Steve Brule. (Because he's fucking awesome.) But I like using my actual face. It helps me feel closer to the people I'm talking to.... for some reason.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mine is a koala, I change mine every year. Maybe a frilled neck lizard next time.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands

Well it's Kumiko Oumae from the Anime Sound! Euphonium, why? Well that's rather simple I like me a lot and that character's personality is very similar to mine, so after watching the anime twice and being amazed at how she acts and reacts pretty similar to how I did in similar situations, it's like a Moe version of me that's good at music or something, that specific picture was chosen because that expression is the one that matches my attitude in general the most.

These are some avatars that I used interchangeably and just rotated at random.
Pretty much same as before.

And I think that's it and in chronological order, I could probably tell you why each one but looking for all of them was enough work for now, looking at all of them I think Kim Pine GLARE is probably the best one.