So what's the story behind YOUR avatar pic?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Not much of a story really.It combines 2 of my favourite things - Judge Dredd and metal music being a poster for the Anthrax song "I am the law"

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
TopazFusion said:
lacktheknack said:
I really miss TopazFusion. So much so that I've pretty much abandoned the horror avatars for a while.
It's fine. You can keep it if you want.
... :O

It's like I have seen a ghost! MIA since April! :D Good to see you mate! Hope you are keeping well!

OT: Well... It is a pic of me, and the name of the Website.
I picked it because it is a pic of me that I think sums me up pretty well! Moustache, Tweed and (not pictured) purple trousers!
I don't always have a moustache, and even more rare do I have pics of myself, so I had to use this one.
I also use the Escapist mostly on slow days at work, on and off... We only have paint on our machines, so I made this by emailing it to myself, then editing it in Paint to be the right size!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Mine's an amalgam of characters from my two favorite visual novels: Muv-Luv Alternative and Steins;Gate.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
The story behind my avatar is a story filled with fun, adventure, romance, money, gangsters, and more horror than you can handle. To tell the story of my avatar would be to tell you all of the deepest and darkest secrets of the escapist and I just don't think people are ready to handle that. You need not know where it come from, or how it came to be. Just remember that it's here now. And it's here to stay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mikeybb said:
I never noticed it before, but the proportions are nigh exact.
Yeeeeeeeeeah, I never even though it could be something else. Like, seriously.

CrystalShadow said:
Oh, just... The usual amount of time... XD
Well, actually, probably a lot longer than that, honestly. I mean, who came up with a badge for pressing it lots of times anyway?
And how many times is that? 10? 100? 1000? I have no idea.
So I could be looking at anything from... About another 24 hours, to... The next 3 years or so. XD
Well, it looks like I ate my last attempt at replying to this, so....

I meant more the last time I clicked it, it lasted nearly a week. And then I've known people who have been stuck with it for a couple of weeks. I'm not inclined to click again, no matter how many badges they hand out. >.<

Well, I know what my avatar is, though I can't actually see it at the moment. XD
I concede that at that scale it's hard to make out much of anything really. >_<
Yeah, that's the real problem. The tail could be a sash, and the ears could be...I don't know, part of a tiara or something? I'm not sure. But the details are lost due to size. I wouldn't expect larger proportions.

Funny thing about ears. They may not be obvious at that scale, but they're already half the size of her head. >_<
I mean, it's not like I could make them bigger or anything. XD
Well, you could, but I would have to call her Minnie.

Odd, minor detail (one that perhaps emphasises that in some ways there is quite a lot of me in this character.) is that the stuffed tiger in the background is a real thing (depicts something that actually exists)
Something I've had since I was about 2...
NERD[small]ohwaititendtoaddpersonalelementstoalotofthecharactersiwriteinordertohelprelatetothemandwritethemlessascharactersandmoreaspeople[/small]....

Never mind.

But seriously, that's kind of cool.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Something Amyss said:
CrystalShadow said:
Oh, just... The usual amount of time... XD
Well, actually, probably a lot longer than that, honestly. I mean, who came up with a badge for pressing it lots of times anyway?
And how many times is that? 10? 100? 1000? I have no idea.
So I could be looking at anything from... About another 24 hours, to... The next 3 years or so. XD
Well, it looks like I ate my last attempt at replying to this, so....

I meant more the last time I clicked it, it lasted nearly a week. And then I've known people who have been stuck with it for a couple of weeks. I'm not inclined to click again, no matter how many badges they hand out. >.<
Gyah! That's... I hope it isn't cumulative or anything. XD
Torture!
But I have the badge now, so I don't ever have to do this again.
... On purpose... >_>

Well, I know what my avatar is, though I can't actually see it at the moment. XD
I concede that at that scale it's hard to make out much of anything really. >_<
Yeah, that's the real problem. The tail could be a sash, and the ears could be...I don't know, part of a tiara or something? I'm not sure. But the details are lost due to size. I wouldn't expect larger proportions.
I guess an alternative is to focus on a smaller area, like just the face...
But that loses a lot of stuff too.

Funny thing about ears. They may not be obvious at that scale, but they're already half the size of her head. >_<
I mean, it's not like I could make them bigger or anything. XD
Well, you could, but I would have to call her Minnie.
... That'd be... Weird. XD

Odd, minor detail (one that perhaps emphasises that in some ways there is quite a lot of me in this character.) is that the stuffed tiger in the background is a real thing (depicts something that actually exists)
Something I've had since I was about 2...
NERD[small]ohwaititendtoaddpersonalelementstoalotofthecharactersiwriteinordertohelprelatetothemandwritethemlessascharactersandmoreaspeople[/small]....

Never mind.

But seriously, that's kind of cool.
Gasp! Rude!

Actually, I totally am a nerd, so...
Whatever.
But still. ;p

(also that is super-hard to read... Runonsentencesarekindairritatingandawkwardorattheveryleastkindastrangeorsomething.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Gyah! That's... I hope it isn't cumulative or anything. XD
Torture!
But I have the badge now, so I don't ever have to do this again.
... On purpose... >_>
Curse you!

I guess an alternative is to focus on a smaller area, like just the face...
But that loses a lot of stuff too.
Yeah, I had a problem trying to find a decent picture for my last avatar, too.

Ignoring the inconsistencies in the artwork (his hair and hair colour are completely different, etc)[footnote]and yes, he is a guy. Handled in the most eloquent way possible, when he mocks another guy he thinks is interested in him for being a "child of Sodom." classy.[/footnote], I had to capture images directly from the DVD of him with his knife. And I wanted one that showed off the detail, the fact that the knife literally says "Dead End" on it. And still show off the character.

Well, at avatar size, not all that's possible.

Not quite the same as something you drew yourself, but people laugh at my stick figures, so....>.<

... That'd be... Weird. XD
Mouse ears on a catgirl? lilbit.

Gasp! Rude!

Actually, I totally am a nerd, so...
Whatever.
But still. ;p
Well, I'm a nerd, so it can't be too much of an insult. <.<

(also that is super-hard to read... Runonsentencesarekindairritatingandawkwardorattheveryleastkindastrangeorsomething.)
Is it bad I had no trouble reading that?

Also, I am strange and awkward. :p

You could even say there was...*puts on sunglasses* Something Amyss about me....

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
This picture doesn't really have a story behind it. It's a fake crochet picture of Krieg the Psycho that I found on Google that apparently came from Tumblr.

However, there is another profile picture that I use for every other website that actually has a bit of a funny story about it. I can't share it because it was actually made by an acquaintance of mine and I downloaded the picture, so it doesn't have a web address to it. It's basically a dude in a red bandanna mask raising his hands in shock and self defense against an unseen antagonist. What this came from is a picture of a cosplay of a Borderlands 2 Bandit that I did a few years back, and I used it in my Google+ profile picture. And this Skype group that I'm in had a lot of members in it, so we decided to use Google Hangout instead, so that we could try to fit more people in. The people on the call saw it, and one of the members said that the picture looked like "A cockroach getting his cock roached." They laughed for a few minutes about it, cracking more jokes, and I just kinda sat there taking it on the chin with a look on my face. Anyways, after everyone had stopped laughing and moved on to funnier things, maybe it was even the next day, I don't remember, another member of that Skype group messaged me and said that he drew a picture of my cosplay because he liked the idea of the cockroach so much, and gave it to me as thanks for making him laugh so much. Mind you, he was an artist, so I thought it was pretty cool that what he did was basically do a commission and not charge me for it. And now I use it for the majority of my internet personas because I like it so much.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FirstNameLastName said:
I joined the forums and decided I didn't want the default avatar, so I found a picture of a fox. Everyone loves foxes, except maybe farmers ...
This fox speaks truth.

OT: I wrote a book a few years ago. It was my first crack at writing a novel, and it wasn't so great, so I didn't try to get it published. But I'm still attached to the characters, one of whome was a thief who wore a fox mask. So I figured, hey, why not. All my avatars are variations on that theme.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
First off, this is a crop of the character Kazu from the manga Air Gear. I forget which chapter, though it had been just after the dude got beat up for some reason or another which is why his face is bandaged. It sort of represents how I felt when the Warcry Forums were absorbed. It hasn't changed since. Before, it had been a sprite .gif of Vivi taking a nap.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
My avatar is a Pilot from Titanfall, along with his Atlas in the background. A friend of mine does art commsissions, and offered to do one for super cheap to make a decent avatar image. So, I went with this. Titanfall may have fallen off the face of the earth pretty soon after its launch, but i'll be damned if it wasn't fun at the time. It also clearly had an interesting setting that was waiting to be explored, but it just never was due to the lack of dedicated story mode.

Its a shame. Maybe the next one will be better.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I like pandas. There is no story behind it, just my fondness towards pandas. The santa hat is because two years ago or so Christmas came by and I decided to change my avatar to make it more seasonable but then never cared enough to change it back.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
My avatar is of Olympia (from Pokemon) dressed as a stage magician, every so often Pokemon arguably generated waifus of some kind starting from the 4th gen like Cynthia, kind of went for the more far off ones like Fntina, Olympia and Drasna. someone drew it for me as a birthday gift, definitely feels much more personal. it's kind of a mix of things, really.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
My old one started as Cartman, a few march madnesses later I had a lightsaber.

I changed it around, briefly having Tupac (my favorite musician)

My current one is the demi-fiend from an Atlus game Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne. I love atlus and like the game. I think he looks really cool in the picture with the true demon endind.

Semi spoilers
I mean what's cooler than beating both God and Lucifer and being the most powerful dude in the new universe.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I dunno. I wanted to change it from the previous(which was from the same series), so I picked a scene from the show, took a screen and bam, same avatar since 2012 or so.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I wanted a Banshee Gundam avatar, I made a Banshee Gundam avatar, the end.

I used to change it around a lot, but I don't come here that often anymore, so this one will stay a while.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Where my avatar comes froms:

It's a gif of Soma looking badass and calm, swirling some wine/blood (you pick) around in a glass. From my favorite Castlevania game by far, Aria of Sorrow. The avatar was made for me during Halloween 2014 but I've been using it ever since.

Why it's there:

I particularly love Soma's character. He's both a plain ol' incredibly fascinating fictional character and someone who's struggles I can connect with in a metaphorical sense in that he and I are torn between our good and evil sides. Also because it looks cool.