So... what's your FAVORITE movie? No wishy-washy answers!

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Se7en. I'm a big fan of psychological thrillers like that, and the antagonist's modus operandi of the Seven Deadly Sins, the two lead actors' performances, as well as the twist at the end, makes this my favourite film of all-time.
I never really understood why that was considered a twist. Isn't a twist dependent on subversion of expectation? Sure it's unexpected, but I wasn't exactly thrown a curveball with that ending. Ah, well...

Mine would be Drive. The protagonist, the minimalist plot, and dat score. Mercy.
Was I the only one that noticed the score from drive was the same, or at least the song hand covers bruise was, as the Social Networks scoreby Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. Or am I cracking?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Batman Begins. Besides being good enough to rejuvenate a franchise that had been horribly slaughtered and buried for 8 years, I believe that it is the only Batman movie that would have been great even if it wasn't Batman and was just about a man who had lost his family to random crime, trained as a vigilante for revenge, and later turned on his masters over ideals and methods. Heck, you could make a movie just out of the monastery sequence. Since crime and how to ethically deal with it will ever be a debate in any society, its central conflict is timeless. It also has some of my favourite actors doing incredibly memorable roles, even the bit players like Mr. Earle or Carl Finch. Not a single line is flat or out-of-place. It's incredible.

There's probably some more artsy movies out there I haven't seen which go into much better detail/analysis on the aforementioned central conflict, and I'd love to try and watch any that are recommended to me.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
While I honestly don't like making choices like this, I can say without one hint of hesitation, The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. If not my favorite, it's close enough that it makes very little difference.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Picking one favourite is rough, but I guess mine would have to be "Lawrence of Arabia".

It has a gorgeous setting, good camel and horse charging scenes, is one of the few decent movies about WWI and it has a young Omar Sharif generally being badass. What's not to like, right?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I really do love a lot of movies, but if I had to pick one that meant the most to me personally...

Transformers The Original Movie. As a kid I loved that movie and if anything I love it more now as an adult.

AMX58

Jan 27, 2010
The Departed or The Town love the Boston movies and also like all the Batman movies even the sucky ones

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
My favorite movie is The Big Lebowski. It's one of the most far-reaching and insightful pieces of media ever produced.

Aug 1, 2010
After reading through the thread, it feel so wrong to say no to all these amazing movie.

I gotta go with The Truman Show.

It's brilliantly set up and an excellent showcase of Jim Carrey's dramatic ability.

I think it's his best performance and movie ever.

Furthermore, by keeping the entire thing shot more or less within the dome or people watching the show, it contains the audience along with the characters and gives a sense of mystery of the outside world.

It's themes have everything from the ancient Knowledge vs Paradise debate to conspiracy esque themes of who's running what to a deeper look at people in sort of a nature/nurture, what really shapes us.

The whole thing is made to work with the comedy. Number 23 didn't work for a number(hehe) of reasons, but one of them was trying to keep Carrey in a PURELY dramatic role.
The comedy let's Carrey really juxtapose and emphasis his dramatic ability.
Everything in he movie is drenched with satire and Carrey's wackiness seems like the only sensible response to seeing signs that your entire life has been made up.

I still get jumpy and exited and a little teary eyed when he starts singing into the lightning storm, being willing to except death before being trapped again.

Amazingly, there's actually another person who said the same thing, but unfortunately, they didn't add quite enough content for me to reply and agree with them.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
PreviouslyPwned said:
An obvious answer, but Pulp Fiction.

Also, Spaceballs.
Have you seen Django Unchained? It's very good. Just as good as Pulp Fiction.

Also The Lion King is great.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
For me its The Kings Speech, I love the way the King and the therapist interact with eachother, and the fact that it is based on a true story makes it even better. After that, its Terminator 2 and Toy Story 3.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I like the diversity of choices. I'm also noticing a lot of movies that are either from or before many of our collective childhoods. I've seen a share of older movies, but there's quite a few "classics" I've passed on solely because I never saw them as a kid, but now that I'm an adult I already know so much about them from word-of-mouth that I don't think I'd be able to really get into them despite how good they are. Like the Sandlot or the Back to the Future movies. That's also part of the reason I love Kung Fu Panda 2 so much is because, while I had seen Kung Fu Panda before it, I wasn't expecting much more from it and was surprised by it's sheer quality. It's also one of the only movies I've ever teared up from, and I've seen some sad movies.

God damn, this scene got me good.

Surprisingly hard to find the whole scene on youtube, but this covers almost all of it. :/

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I couldn't pick one. I've seen too many and enjoyed too much to even try to remember them all and attempt to compare.

I'll just say "A.I." because I can watch that any time, anywhere.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Haha, your post got modded.

Anyway, your favourite and can watch any time as many times as you want aren't mutually exclusive, so you'll get two answers from me.

Shawshank Redemption is the film I can watch over and over and over... It's because it does almost everything really well along with some great memorable scenes and the fact that I love how everything turns out after the hope is almost gone. I didn't think a movie as serious as this would have a happy ending. Others I can watch a million times for the same reasons: Lethal Weapon, Saving Private Ryan, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Green Mile, too many actually.

2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite because of how much it inspired me to try to be different and expand on my work, also the last 30 minutes of the film is one of the greatest things my eyes and ears have ever scene. I can't watch this any time and as many times as I want because it's the middle is really boring, including that it isn't the type of film to be fun.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Off the top of my head, I have two: Porco Rosso, cause it's a fantastic film, that always leaves me filled with hope and a massive grin. Its also partly cause it's the film that helped me discover Studio Ghibli for the first time - the way in which I did was lovely too.

My then-GF had left for work early one beautiful Saturday morning, leaving me half asleep sat on the couch with sun blazing through gaps in the curtains, and I was flicking through channels in an attempt to wake up. I got to Film4 and this film had just started, this gorgeous animation, so I figured I'd give it a shot, and by the end of it, I had fallen in love.
The lovely relaxed atmosphere, the warmth, and the wee columns of light coupled with an absolutely fantastic film made it an experience to remember. The massive bag of cheddar and onion Kettle Chips may have helped too... :$

The second is Jurassic Park, because DINOSAURS*

*(Ok, there's more to it that that, but I waffled enough about one film, two and everyone will run away :p)

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
Well that's easy.
Lord of the Ring
Man in Black 1
pirates of the caribbean 1-3 (There is not a fourth one what are you talking about) - not many movies can be funny and epic at the same time.

I enjoy rewatching every single one of those movies, so not a single wash was wished!