So Which of the Designer Cards are the Coolest?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
So Which of the Designer Cards are the Coolest?

If you didn't already know, for the Magic 2015 Core Set Wizards of the Coast conscripted a number of video game designers and other folks around the industry to develop a few cards. Here are a few of my favorites so far.

Read Full Article

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'm a fan of Richard Garriott's Shield of the Avatar myself. It looks like it would play very nicely in either a white weenie token deck, or Goblin tribal. Any deck that plays a lot of cheap creatures and can back them up with bigger guys later on. Most creature-focused tribal builds would do well to pack a copy of the Shield, now that I think about it. Cheap to cast and equip, keeps your favourite creature alive, and it's not even legendary so you can keep more than one creature protected if you draw a second.

Plus I love the flavour text. "We are made stronger by those we fight for."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, my Houseplant Arena Deck is going to love Yisan.
Of course, Hot Soup gets my seal of approval because...well, it's Hot Soup!
(The only equipment that is deadlier is the yet-to-be-unleashed Wet Towel)

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It's about time Geist of Saint Traft became a waiter and delivered him some hot soup, it's so amusing.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
So... Yisan is basically [mtg_card=Aether Vial] + [mtg_card=Birthing Pod]. That's pretty nasty, though the 2G per turn may get expensive. He can also slot nicely into Monsters or Jund, and should be quite lovely for just about any Commander deck that plays Green, potentially very powerful as a Commander himself.

Speaking of Commander, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled can be positively obscene, especially if you really, really hate Green or Blue. Too expensive and not very impactful for Standard, probably... at least with [mtg_card=Desecration Demon] still around. I wonder... is there a way to make other players search their libraries for some sort of benefit? one of those "group hug... TO DEATH!" deals?

Spirit Bonds has potential to get crazy... too bad they added "non-token" instead of "non-spirit", but hey... [mtg_card=Brago, King Eternal] is a thing now, as is [mtg_card=Obzedat, Ghost Council].

Avarice Amulet looks like it'll fit into whatever becomes the next Bant Hexproof. It's everything Hexproof wants in an equipment, and the downside isn't that big a deal when you don't have to worry about spot removal (and are likely packing some of your own)... too bad it costs 4 instead of 2 or 3.

Speaking of M15 spoilers... have you seen Nissa, Worldwaker [http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=698630]? dang! also, new Ajani and new Jace... not bad. I can't wait to see what other 'walkers M15 has in store, considering the strong hints that Sorin, Karn (or a Karn-like entity), and especially Garruk will be returning as well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
2xDouble said:
Speaking of Commander, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled can be positively obscene, especially if you really, really hate Green or Blue. Too expensive and not very impactful for Standard, probably... at least with [mtg_card=Desecration Demon] still around. I wonder... is there a way to make other players search their libraries for some sort of benefit? one of those "group hug... TO DEATH!" deals?
Path to Exile in Modern, and by Fetch lands I guess?
Though by turn 4-5, Fetch Lands aren't quite as appealing, and Path's search function is not mandatory.

In theory it could make for a good spot filler against artifact combo, but it's too slow to deal with things like [mtg_card=Trinket Mage].

Most effects that force players to search their libraries are pretty expensive or impractical.
Or at least, less practical than just swinging with an efficient fatty.

I'm sure there's some silly devilish search effect in Modern...but I'm not looking for it because I'll be too busy scoping for those Bards. (who are JUST too mana expensive to be played competitively, which should keep their price lowish for bored MtG madmen like me)

Notshauna

May 12, 2014
2xDouble said:
So... Yisan is basically [mtg_card=Aether Vial] + [mtg_card=Birthing Pod]. That's pretty nasty, though the 2G per turn may get expensive. He can also slot nicely into Monsters or Jund, and should be quite lovely for just about any Commander deck that plays Green, potentially very powerful as a Commander himself.

Spirit Bonds has potential to get crazy... too bad they added "non-token" instead of "non-spirit", but hey... [mtg_card=Brago, King Eternal] is a thing now, as is [mtg_card=Obzedat, Ghost Council].

Avarice Amulet looks like it'll fit into whatever becomes the next Bant Hexproof. It's everything Hexproof wants in an equipment, and the downside isn't that big a deal when you don't have to worry about spot removal (and are likely packing some of your own)... too bad it costs 4 instead of 2 or 3.

Speaking of M15 spoilers... have you seen Nissa, Worldwaker [http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=698630]? dang! also, new Ajani and new Jace... not bad. I can't wait to see what other 'walkers M15 has in store, considering the strong hints that Sorin, Karn (or a Karn-like entity), and especially Garruk will be returning as well.
The problem with Ob Nixilis is that there really aren't that many cards that search your library in standard and without that effect he's over priced and not standard playable.

Also there is one unspoiled Planeswalker, and that's Garruk, in fact there are 3 unspoiled mythics left, and we already know what they'll be (5 color legendary sliver, BG Garruk, and The Veil).

But, my pick for the best guest designed card is Spirit Bonds, as it gives so much value, I mean that card is so good for aggro that it's not even funny, it and Avacyn are what sold me on picking white for the pre-release.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I could see Chasm Skulker seeing some pretty nifty modern play, especially in deck running Jace, Memory adept. Just think, getting Jace to 7, throw down skulker, ult Jace on yourself, giving you a 21/21 that, if it dies, turns into 21 islandwalking 1/1s. Run some Aqueous Forms to make your 21/21 unblockable and maybe a Stormtide Leviathan (or anything else that can change target land types. I can't think of any) to make your enemy's lands islands for your 21 1/1s. I wouldn't base my game around that, but I wouldn't rule it out. You could pull something similar with Sphinx's Revelation as well.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Notshauna said:
2xDouble said:

The problem with Ob Nixilis is that there really aren't that many cards that search your library in standard and without that effect he's over priced and not standard playable.

Also there is one unspoiled Planeswalker, and that's Garruk, in fact there are 3 unspoiled mythics left, and we already know what they'll be (5 color legendary sliver, BG Garruk, and The Veil).

But, my pick for the best guest designed card is Spirit Bonds, as it gives so much value, I mean that card is so good for aggro that it's not even funny, it and Avacyn are what sold me on picking white for the pre-release.
Really? They're not just reprinting [mtg_card=Garruk Relentless] and [mtg_card=Sliver Queen]? Huh, cool.

While it's true that Ob Nixilis' first ability is a powerful nuclear deterrent against search functions (and really only abuseable alongside janky cards like [mtg_card=Hive Mind]), its his second ability that will make or break him. 6 mana is a lot, especially for Standard, and coming down as a 4/4 with no immediate impact doesn't help him, but having him online changes combat, giving you that much more value/threat from trades. (...to be removed instantly by [mtg_card=Murder].)

I know it's abhorrent to most Magic players, but sometimes you want to play creatures pre-combat, and this is one that excels at it. As I said, though, Ob Nixilis' true value will come in Commander, where giant monsters, tutor effects, and mass destruction are commonplace.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I need some clarification:
If you have multiple Aggressive Minings in play, can you trigger the ability once per Aggresive Mining, or is it the ability itself and not the ability per card?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Of course Notch's card is going to have something to do with mining. It just couldn't be any other way, could it?

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Souplex said:
I need some clarification:
If you have multiple Aggressive Minings in play, can you trigger the ability once per Aggresive Mining, or is it the ability itself and not the ability per card?
Pretty sure that's one activation per card, since they're separate entities that don't interact with each other. If it was once in total, it'd say something like "Activate abilities of cards named Aggressive Mining no more than once each turn."

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I really like Aggressive Mining. I am not sure how useful it will be, but I want to break it bad. Just like my all time favorite card Glacial Chasm.