So, who did you play as in Far Cry 2? And why?

asspills

Aug 13, 2008
This question seems a bit random, considering how long its been since Far Cry 2 came out, but it's a game i keep finding myself coming back to, and I was curious.

Title says it all, Which of the 9 playable characters did you pick, and why?

List of the characters:
( http://www.giantbomb.com/far-cry-2/61-20665/characters/ )
Or, if you hated who you originally picked, who was your favorite.

Also, who was you're favorite companion, if you had one?

____

-------------------

I played as Quarbani Singh, because I liked the idea of an East Indian character who was also a legitimate bad-ass, which is something you frankly never see in media. He looked so strong and capable, yet far away from any action-hero archetypes. Even his Turban didn't stop him from being a stone-cold bad ass!

And my best bud was Paul Ferenc. That guy was the best!! He was legitimately funny. Seriously, the game didn't have any humor outside of this guy, but Paul made me laugh every time. He got killed during a mission though, and i was so upset that I kept his pistol in my "Secondary Weapon Crate" for the entire rest of the game, and then played the final mission with it, (And with the ending I chose, I shot myself with it).

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I played as Marty, simply because he was the first option, and the most generic. Why would I choose the seemingly most generic character? Because the character you play as stays as a mute throughout the game, and you never see yourself. Meaning that, by eliminating the most boring character, I can interact solely with the ones I've deemed interesting.

My best friends? I didn't exactly choose them, they just show up, and I keep them alive as long as possible.

Jackpot524

Certified Canuck
May 24, 2009
I played as Paul Ferenc, I thought the idea of playing an ex-clerk turned mercenary would be funny. It kinda had a "Falling Down" vibe to it and I liked that.

As for my favorite companion, it was Marty Alencar... He just always kicked a ton of ass when I needed him to help me out. He died after the first half of the game and I couldn't find anyone that could replace his Ramboesque approach to things.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
I played as Marty. That french girl was my favorite buddy. Although she died, or went missing.

asspills

Aug 13, 2008
Ha!! Both good answers!! I like Ultrachickens logic though, on my second play through i was going to pick Paul because i liked him so much, but then I thought "If i pick Paul, I won't ever see or hear him, he'll lose all his personality."

-So i picked Andre Hyppolite instead, because I was feeling a lot of "white-guilt", gunning down so many Africans as a white tourist with no stake in the country. And it did help me feel like I fit in more. :D

Never thought of the "Falling Down" appeal of Paul as a character, though. Ha, gave me a new way of looking at him...

(I should stop talking about Paul Ferenc, My fond memory of him as a character is now starting to sound like its some strange, possibly homoerotic obsession. -WHICH IT IS TOTALLY NOT!!! -AT ALL!!)

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
First time I picked the Chinese guy, don't really remember why. But looking back he had awesome tattoos, so it was a good choice. 2nd time I picked they guy with the "Morte" tattoo, because that's really the only thing picking a character does.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I played as the Irish guy, seeing as I'm half Irish.
As for buddies, I cannot remember any of them having any sort of personality.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There were characters?
I don't even remember that... I was the dude with a gun, and my favorite companions were dudes/dudets with guns.

The environment and engine were extremely well done, but the story and characters were non existent, you just worked for every faction and noone was upset nor did anyone know you are working for/against them, and the main plot line was barely one sentence long.
And half way through the game they reset everything and you repeat what you did before (go to a new map that is the same, and work for new factions that are the same...)

It was fun to drive around and kill people tho, even if they did respawn every time you turned around.

asspills

Aug 13, 2008
Cmon now, you're being a bit rough on the game.

Even though I wish the game had a bit more story structure, i did start to enjoy the fact that all the stuff that I did WAS the story of the game.. That thing where Paul died, and I kept his gun until the end? That was a major plot point, and it was all MY doing, as the player. And that is a very unique and wonderful thing.

_

Plus the Jackal is one of the most interesting characters I've heard of. His philosophy is both insane, yet irrefutable. And by the time you actually meet him (and aren't half dead), you realize he's the only person who's morals are close to going the right way, while you're just a mindless killer who's caused more death and destruction, personally (either directly or otherwise), than the guns the soldiers carry.

-
BUT!! Enough about that, this topics about your character choice.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
The first guy, simply because I didnt realise you could change them, plus they are all men so not much difference as far as im concerned

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Josip Idromeno. Just cos I like the veteran aspect about him. Also he is in it for his own ends (righteous characters begin to bug me eventually)

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
I played as Frank Bilder. It was a bit funny to hear him swear with an Irish accent when I got shot. I was also Paul Ferenc, mostly because I live near the Hungarian border and was for laughs. Nice topic tough. First time I see a Far Cry 2 topic here. Not many people talk about that game anymore. It's still fun. I used to turn off the music in order for the atmosphere to become more unnerving.

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
Ah love that game, shame the AI is so messed up.

Josip was my first character, but for some reason i played through with pretty much all of them. Just did it a bit differently each time, like only IEDs and snipers, only use scavenged weapons, only pump-action shotgun, ect. Added alot of replay value really.

There is a third in the works right? Day one purchase if they iron out the maddeningly inconsistent AI.

asspills

Aug 13, 2008
Oh man, I should totally do both those things!! Turning off the ambient music (which always kinda distracted me, -I didn't even know you COULD turn it off), and trying to play under a set strategy..... Only Scavenged weapons especially... Oh and the IEDS and snipers....

Man i'm going down and doing that now.

Also Josip was my choice for my "Insane" difficulty playthrough (or was it "Infamous"?). I liked him as a character, but his hands were boring to look at... So were Quarbani's though.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
I played as Warren Clyde because I liked his bandanna.

My best bud' was Josip, but after a bad confrontation I was low on syrettes and he needed to be put down. My next bud' was Hakim, he was very useful but alas I had to kill him too.

I'm a bit of a douche aren't I ....

xxx

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Hakim Echebbi

Because he is the quintessential badass.

Although it kind of sucks that you can't play as one of the women buddies.

I wonder why they decided to do that?

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]First time I picked the Chinese guy, don't really remember why. But looking back he had awesome tattoos, so it was a good choice.
This is the guy I picked for the tattoos only. The only thing I would see throughout the game anyway is his arms, and occasionally legs, so I went for the guy with the coolest looking arms.

^=ash=^ said:
I played as Warren Clyde because I liked his bandanna.

My best bud' was Josip, but after a bad confrontation I was low on syrettes and he needed to be put down. My next bud' was Hakim, he was very useful but alas I had to kill him too.

I'm a bit of a douche aren't I ....

xxx
I don't know if you've completed it so if you haven't don't click the spoiler box!

Don't you kill them all in the end anyway?

.. so s'all good.

My favourite companion was Andre, he saved me loads, but I had to kill him after a while because he took too many bullets to the face, was kinda sad. At least it was dignified, with a Deagle down his throat.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
Hakim Echebbi

Because he is the quintessential badass.

Although it kind of sucks that you can't play as one of the women buddies.

I wonder why they decided to do that?
Probably just because a couple of things people say referred to you as a male. Doesn't really make a difference since your character is basically an empty shell anyway, so i guess they just didn't bother setting it up for a female protagonist.

I chose Frank and Hakim as my characters... can't really remember why, i guess they just looked cool. I couldn't really care about the buddies too much unfortunately, because i heard spoilers on the net shortly after starting, which is a shame because it was a really good dynamic, and despite the spoilers i still was saddened when i euthanized them or they got themselves killed trying to help me like they did a few times.

asspills

Aug 13, 2008
I always assumed the reason they didn't let you pick a female is because of possible sexism issues. For instance, I can't see it to be in Prosper Kuossi's personality to look at a dainty looking female, and go "I trust you to go in and kill this entire base, you seem capable". He seems more like the type to laugh and make some sort of sexist joke.

Also, it creates some uncomfortable "rape" worries, like all the times the Jackal knocks you out and takes all your shit, or the part when you get imprisoned.

I just remember that when i got to the Prison part, my buddy was Nasreen Davar, so when i busted her out and she was injured and whatnot, i couldn't shake the thought of "that" out of my head.