So, who here watches Merlin (Tv series)?

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
Just curious to see if there's any other Merlin fans out there. If so, what do you think about the series? Have you started watching the newest Season yet, Season 4?

Personally, I love the characters, but the dialogue can be disturbingly bad at times paired with some of the worste CGI I've ever seen. But good acting and the unique twist to the story makes for an enjoyable watch in my opinion. Enough to keep me hooked for 4 straight seasons, something a show rarely does for me.

So yeah, leave a message Escapist. What do you think about the series?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Royta said:
Just curious to see if there's any other Merlin fans out there. If so, what do you think about the series? Have you started watching the newest Season yet, Season 4?

Personally, I love the characters, but the dialogue can be disturbingly bad at times paired with some of the worst CGI I've ever seen. But good acting and the unique twist to the story makes for an enjoyable watch in my opinion. Enough to keep me hooked for 4 straight seasons, something a show rarely does for me.

I've enjoyed it for the times I've watched the show, although I enjoy the American Being Human series better. Still, if I can find the time, I'll watch season 4.

As for bad CGI, that show's CGI is nowhere near bad. You want bad, go watch DarkWolf or any other direct to video monster flick. On second thought, don't watch DarkWolf. I've scarred myself for life even seeing ten minutes of it, and it's in pretty poor taste for a werewolf flick.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
I was forced to watch it when it initially came out. Saw the first season and then kinda forgot about it.

Not a bad show by any means. Went from a chore to an enjoyable experience in the first 15 minuets or so. Good to see the show's still going.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I watched it today actually, I've gotten quite into it.

The evil Sorceress in it is damn hot, she defiantly needs more screen time.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I've watched the last season, and really liked Morgana's accent. But my politics side with the dragon's, rather than Merlin's sense of absolute good, so that can sometimes ruin the show. A very good series though.

Lt_Bromhead

Dec 14, 2008
Royta said:

Personally, I love the characters, but the dialogue can be disturbingly bad at times paired with some of the worste CGI I've ever seen. But good acting and the unique twist to the story makes for an enjoyable watch in my opinion. Enough to keep me hooked for 4 straight seasons, something a show rarely does for me.

Meh, I like it.
The CGI doesn't bother me, and the chemistry that has developed between Merlin and Arthur throughout the show is really starting to endear itself to me. As well as the way the actors all seem more comfortable in their roles by now.
Also: JOHN MUTHERFUCKING HURT.
And Anthony Head.
And Richard Wilson.

Pretty damn solid cast! :p

Oh, and apparently it's got viewing figures of around 5 mil, which isn't too shabby. :)

Malgan

Jun 23, 2009
It's one of those shows that I feel get gradually better, as opposed to let's say Heroes.
I've just grown more and more fond of it, and I seem to like the characters more and more for every episode.

I would call myself a bit of a fanboy, but I can still spot some cgiflaws :p

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Have seen first episode or two (my GF watches it regularly) and while it wasn't bad I haven't finished watching it.... too much like Smallville for me, except... you know, there is a teenage wizard instead of... teenage alien.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
I watch it and really enjoy it! the program has gotten better over time, and Merlin is one of my favourite characters, as he is a good actor and quite funny at times.

Although the episode I watched the other day really shocked me.

barash

Mar 29, 2010
Good acting with sometimes really horrendous writing, but it manages to keep me interested with their take on the overall story-arc and the mostly useless chump that is Young Merlin. All in all, a solid fun watch every time.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
I quite like it but they have been spending the last 3 seasons hoping that merlin will reveal his secret.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I go out of my way to watch it online rather than wait however many weeks for it to come out here. Needless to say, I rather like it, though it's not without it's flaws.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
JasonBurnout16 said:
I watch it and really enjoy it! the program has gotten better over time, and Merlin is one of my favourite characters, as he is a good actor and quite funny at times.

Although the episode I watched the other day really shocked me.
I know what you mean with "shock". The last three episodes have been filled with quite the shockers. I might have come over on the wrong foot as well with my small bashes in the intro post, but I really love the series as well. Especially how the actors play their roles and the relationships between characters.

And with Season5 already confirmed, I'm in good spirits!

Comando96

May 26, 2009
It is soo cheesy and the lines are such a cliche which most of the times I can predict... but... can't... stop watching... must watch series xD

Its so bad in some respects but with the characters and the bad factor you just got to love it :p

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I haven't watched much of the show, but I have an irrational hatred of it. Basically because of how much it strays away from the original stories/legends.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Nope. I saw the trailers and it looked TERRIBLE. Still does. Could be good, but not something I would be interested in.

All to their own I suppose though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Nah not really, although i did singlehandedly ruin the one season of Merlin for my friends by pointing out that the evil in disguise witch chick was smirking in an evil "just as planned" fashion every two seconds and in the worst possible locations.

In disguise in the King's Court? Villainous smirk time

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I watch it ocassionally, its archetypal British saturday evening TV- cheesy, entertaining rubbish.

Merlin is very likeable- dorky yet charming, Prince Arthur pouts too much and Morgana is plain gorgeous.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, I've seen the 3 first seasons and now going to watch ep1 and 2 of s4 actually. I find some of the dialogue somewhat... bad?... but overall enjoyable series with some interesting myths and creatures.