So who's really gonna get gears of war 3?

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
of course i'll be buying
for some reason i'm one of the last people left on earth who loves Gears
it's brilliant
its very silly, macho and over the top
but i love it

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Not sure, I have bigger games I am looking to get before Gears is on my list.

Although I will have chance to play it because of the Online Beta pass I got with Bulletstorm :D

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Legion said:
My only dislike of GOW is that it doesn't come across how Epic intend it to, they try and make it serious (and in the books they succeed very well), but then they throw in a load of cliché machismo crap that really doesn't fit the theme they have gone for.
OMG someone else besides me has read the gears of war books.I like how the in books Marcus and others feel more human and I hope in gear of war 3 they do a bit more emotional stuff with the characters.

I can't wait for Gears of war 3.
Does it frustrate you that they don't get this across in the games though? Marcus became my favourite character once I read the books, but in the games he is basically a generic, cliché "bastard" but whose heart is in the right place.

Karen Traviss is the lead write for Gears of War 3, so hopefully they will manage to show the characters to be as deep as they are.

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
The story for GoW actually drew me in, what there was at least. So a day one purchase is highly likely for me.
I've even read the books and graphic novels that accompany the games. So yeah, I like the story and am looking forward to the supposed ending to the series. Besides, if anything happens to Baird, I'ma be pissed >:[

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I won't be getting it. I really don't like the Gears games. Which is ironic, because i have 1 and 2, playing the second in the hopes my opinions might improve. As it stands, i just don't like it. The ridiculously oversized character design just comes off as excessive. The guns don't feel to have any weight to them (takes like a whole clip just to bring one enemy down? I know i play on hard, but come on) and the characters themselves are just not likeable. At all. All that borderline homoerotic hypermachismo is just repulsive to me. The characters are one dimensional and they all have the most irritating voices. I think Baird was the only tolerable one. The general art design too is not something that appeals to me. It felt like i'd been running through the same ruined street shooting the exact same enemies from the start up until the third act (i'll grant you the underground sections were a nice change) but they didn't even do a palette swap on the enemies to give a bit of variety. I'm also getting a bit sick of seeing the Unreal Engine being used so often now, especially when it's a cheap trick to make things look better than they actually are thanks to it being super lightweight and easy to use without straining the hardware. It's like when those guys at Pizza Hut use a grease gun to 'airbrush' a pizza to make it look better than it actually is.

I'll never get the popularity behind Gears, but then i don't get the sudden hate for all the COD and Halo games either. I think it's just a result of the zeitgeist. People like to follow the crowd and what's 'cool' to like or hate changes as a result of that. Not that i'm saying people are "sheeple", it's human nature to go with the flow. Maybe i'm just in the minority about how i feel regarding these AAA titles.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Legion said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Legion said:
My only dislike of GOW is that it doesn't come across how Epic intend it to, they try and make it serious (and in the books they succeed very well), but then they throw in a load of cliché machismo crap that really doesn't fit the theme they have gone for.
OMG someone else besides me has read the gears of war books.I like how the in books Marcus and others feel more human and I hope in gear of war 3 they do a bit more emotional stuff with the characters.

I can't wait for Gears of war 3.
Does it frustrate you that they don't get this across in the games though? Marcus became my favourite character once I read the books, but in the games he is basically a generic, cliché "bastard" but whose heart is in the right place.

Karen Traviss is the lead write for Gears of War 3, so hopefully they will manage to show the characters to be as deep as they are.
very true for marcus and all the others I learned a lot about them. I'm glad in the third book they gave us some backstory on Baird he's my favorite character.

If Karen Traviss is doing the gears of War 3 storyline it should way better than the first to combine and also capture some of those desperate feelings from gears of war trailers as well. The 4th book is coming out this August as well.
Baird was my fav prior to reading the books, I still like him a lot, it was nice to see they delved into his mindset a bit more.

It sucks that the book is delayed, as it was originally supposed to be out in March. Ah, well.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
I probably won't get it. I only liked the first 2 for the campaign, because the multiplayer was kind of dumb (Every weapon can 1-hit-kill someone, and you don't respawn. Who decided this was a good idea?)

Zergadooful

Sep 30, 2010
TheTaco007 said:
I probably won't get it. I only liked the first 2 for the campaign, because the multiplayer was kind of dumb (Every weapon can 1-hit-kill someone, and you don't respawn. Who decided this was a good idea?)
Huh? The only gun that could insta-kill was the sniper, every other gun takes 2 clips to down someone.

EDIT: I forgot about that stupid shotgun. I hate that stupid shotgun.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Zergadooful said:
TheTaco007 said:
Huh? The only gun that could insta-kill was the sniper, every other gun takes 2 clips to down someone.
...... Have you even PLAYED this game? Let's see,

Lancer: Chainsaw
Shotgun: Close enough, it's a 1-hit-kill
Sniper: Headshot
Torque Bow: If you HIT someone with it
Hammer of Dawn: Ummm, hello?
Boom-shot: direct hit
Grenade: Stick

I'd go on, but I don't remember the rest of the weapons.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Definitely going to get it. The first was great coop fun and Horde in Gears 2 just improved that tenfold so I really can't wait for the new one. I love me some Gears. So much so that I was tempted to buy this:

(It says 'Imulsion' on the can by the way. I giggled.)

Jun 11, 2008
Helios_(DEL) said:
Glademaster said:
I don't know if you are dyslexic or a non native but having Google toolbar with spellcheck can help spelling. You're on your own for the grammar.

OT: I will be buying it as I have enjoyed all others but that section with the specimens in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] annoyed me slightly and the pointless vehicle section.
What have I spelt wrong and what's wrong with the grammar? I typed this relaxed sorry it annoyed you so much
Well it didn't bother me but it just makes posts easier to read. If you want me to point things out. The letter i should be capital when you are using the personal pronoun I. What is is what's but whats is accepted on the internet. Herd should be heard purchace should be purchase.

No one said you were dyslexic I said I don't know if you are dyslexic/non native speaker or etc but if you are OP you should try and make sure you check over your post as people will mention it and they may not be as nice about it as here. One time a guy got the piss taken out of him because he was spelling words phonetically.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Glademaster said:
Helios_(DEL) said:
Glademaster said:
I don't know if you are dyslexic or a non native but having Google toolbar with spellcheck can help spelling. You're on your own for the grammar.

OT: I will be buying it as I have enjoyed all others but that section with the specimens in the 2[sup]nd[/sup] annoyed me slightly and the pointless vehicle section.
What have I spelt wrong and what's wrong with the grammar? I typed this relaxed sorry it annoyed you so much
Well it didn't bother me but it just makes posts easier to read. If you want me to point things out. The letter i should be capital when you are using the personal pronoun I. What is is what's but whats is accepted on the internet. Herd should be heard purchace should be purchase.

No one said you were dyslexic I said I don't know if you are dyslexic/non native speaker or etc but if you are OP you should try and make sure you check over your post as people will mention it and they may not be as nice about it as here. One time a guy got the piss taken out of him because he was spelling words phonetically.
i appreciate the response and i appoligise as iv mentioned before i was tired and didnt really check for errors the first time i usually dont make that many mistakes but i still appreciate the feedback.Cheers,peace

Rough Sausage

May 19, 2010
I'm definitely gonna get it. Gears 1 is probably my most played game to date, and I Really wanna see where the story goes.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Legion said:
I am getting it release date most likely.

The world it is set in, it is actually quite deep, although this isn't shown very often.
The atmosphere (1 more than 2), it felt like humanity was on the edge of extinction.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. The first game was tonally much darker, and it seemed like more of an apocalyptic scenario. Gears 2 turned it into more of an action movie, something I don't agree with. I've read one of the Gears books and you're right, the author did a great job conveying the rich and dark nature of the world; something that was lost in the transition from Gears 1-2.

But OT: Yes I will be getting Gears 3, even though I was very dissapointed by the multiplayers in Gears 2.