So you're an indie developer now. What kind of games do you make?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I was involved with an indie project actually, an RPG in the style of older traditional JRPGs, organised through this very site. Unfortunately it fell flat on its face when it turned out only a minority of us were actually interested in seeing the project through to completion, and various delays pushed us back further and further until I dropped out in frustration. I won't talk more about it out of respect for the guy who came up with the idea, and out of respect for his IP, which I hope he continues with in some form or another successfully (it was a genuinely interesting and relatively original story with some decent homages too :D).

Anyway, moving on, I'd love to work as a level designer on some shooter, but I'd use as realistic a layout for each map as possible. Have characters fighting in real-life locations, and visit the places myself first to understand exactly what each site is like. Oh, and I want to create an RTS game that uses real-world tactics and strategy together so you can get the most realistic experience possible as a general. Total War is good, but I want 100% total realism and I want more options for combat, being able to come up with your own tactics and strategies and really innovate and come up with brand new ways of battle. Effectively, a complete battle simulator. And I want to develop it for all eras, not just, say, medieval warfare. I want to create a simulation of war that can be modified and set up to simulate any era, through to the present day, and any theatre of war, with complete (as much as possible) geographical accuracy. Fully render entire cities and have soldiers fighting in the streets of modern day London and Tokyo and Washington DC. Recreate the Resident Evil movies with a modded simulation in Toronto (where they filmed for Raccoon City). Or reenact historical battles in a much more intuitive and historically accurate manner than games like Total War. Could you imagine exploring every possibility if William the Conqueror had lost at Hastings? Controlling an entire army to continue the simulation as you drive him back to Normandy and then build on that to gain an entirely simulated alternate history...

Yeah, I know this is a stupidly unfeasible project with current technology. But I can still dream...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Arcade'ish Air-Combat Games (Ace Combat style) for PC.

There's simply a great lack of that type of games. Seriously the only game that fits the description is Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. whose only redeeming feature in comparison to Ace Combat is the fact that it comes on the PC and therefore has Flight-stick support.

Also what is that weird rule that PC flight games either have to be 100% simulator (Il2, Lock On: Modern Air Combat, XPlane so on) or 100% arcade (Crimson Skies, Dogfight 1942, SkyDrift)?!?
Bro, take a look at this

And their page at Moddb with all the info
http://www.moddb.com/games/vector-thrust

Its basicly an Ace Combat that doesnt suck like the last one

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
josemlopes said:
MrFalconfly said:
Arcade'ish Air-Combat Games (Ace Combat style) for PC.

There's simply a great lack of that type of games. Seriously the only game that fits the description is Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. whose only redeeming feature in comparison to Ace Combat is the fact that it comes on the PC and therefore has Flight-stick support.

Also what is that weird rule that PC flight games either have to be 100% simulator (Il2, Lock On: Modern Air Combat, XPlane so on) or 100% arcade (Crimson Skies, Dogfight 1942, SkyDrift)?!?
Bro, take a look at this

And their page at Moddb with all the info
http://www.moddb.com/games/vector-thrust

Its basicly an Ace Combat that doesnt suck like the last one
Looks Awesome with a capital A.

I'm so gonna buy it.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
If I were an indie developer I think I would get back to plot focused RPGs. Not the kind like borderlands where its basicly kill a dude to get a bigger sword to kill a bigger dude to get a bigger sword to kill the biggest dude.

It would be far more plot oriented while still trying to give freedom to the player so they could explore the open world. I would want them far less on rails like bioware and Final fantasy games and still maintain well written characters from all walks of life, religious backgrounds, and philosophical outlooks

I would also tackle hard issues like racial, sexuality, and religious bigotry; and how excessive law and chaos breeds bad elements in society

Most of all I would put Roleplaying back in RPG

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I've actually got a few ideas for Action/RPG titles with an emphasis in exploration, story, and characterization.

One involves a medieval/fantasy setting with 6 heroes, each with their own story and how their story intersects with others', as well as their important in the overall plot. Another takes place in the distant future, where a futuristic world and a rural world clash and a conspiracy arises about a corrupt government model and a rebellion on the horizon. Also, there's one that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, where few survive the world's end and must find a "gem" in order to escape their inevitable deaths.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Personally I am working on a Puzzle platformer survival type game. I guess the best thing to compare it to would be Limbo.

dfb1999

Oct 7, 2012
I'd love to make an Earthbound style RPG.
So, no random battles, don't set it in a crappy fantasy/sci-fi world, and most of all, make sure it's fun. Not just in terms of gameplay, but just overall, it has to be bright, characters have to be trippy and weird, but avoid overdoing it to the point where it just overpowers the core RPG gameplay.

Essentially, I'd want to make Chrono Trigger in the style of Earthbound.

I also think that this would be a project more likely to be picked up by an indie dev than someone at Squeenix.

THE_JOKE_KING33

Jul 17, 2012
Action-Adventure and third Person Shooters(with Adventure elements).

Maybe an in depth superhero game where the player can make their own character,choose from an absolutely MASSIVE amount of powers, and are then let loose in a gigantic city where they're free to be a hero or villain(still haven't thought up a story though X) ).

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Playing as an old madman who fancies himself a knight going around on his decrepit horse fighting windmills with his trusty companion the farmer... well it would certainly be unique.
Well, it's LOOSELY based on it, anyway. Some age changes would probably be in order.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Strategy games, visual novels, and also rpgs with less of a focus on combat and more on exploration, character interactions, etc.

There needs to be a successor to Age of Empires for starters. I'd do something with a much higher pop limit, more tactical combat, and altogether greater scale.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Anything with a cyberpunk aesthetic or stealth gameplay. I'd want to do 3D games even if they are more expensive to make.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Experimental online games.
MMOs that aren't afraid to be "way out of the box" and defy standards.

They wouldn't be top-grossing titles, but they would influence the industry for decades to come - and would be fondly remembered as cult classics.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
A mech tactics game with the grand strategy of Civilization, Front Mission style battles, deep customization, and the character/unit structure of Fire Emblem.

Imagine Front Mission if the pilots could die permenantly instead of just loosing that mech for the remainder of the mission, and out side of missions it was similar to Civ or Xcom.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Awesome ones, that's what. I would make fun games, scary games, silly games, serious games, subversive games, deep games, story-focused games, weird fecking games, all that good stuff. Basically whatever I can think of. :D

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
I'm in an international team making Novus Aeterno. A MMO RTS currently in development :) check it out on facebook, youtube or our (currently being remade) website!