So you're introducing someone to videogames. What games should you use?

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
Sam Warrior said:
ExiusXavarus said:
Do they like challenges? Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma would be good choices.

If they like lots of action: (see challenging games list), Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia and Lollipop Chainsaw would all be splendid choices.

Fantasy settings? Elder Scrolls series, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon's Dogma, White Knight Chronicles and anything in the Tales of Series would be awesome choices.

If they're major music lovers then I would recommend Guitar Hero, Band Hero, Rockband and DJ hero as pretty solid choices.

Choose something easier, more casual, first. If it's too easy for them, pick something more challenging. Too hard? Something a little bit easier with a bite would be desirable. I would first ask them what kind of setting they like. Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, War, Medieval, that kinda stuff.
I personally would never ever introduce someone to gaming with demons souls or dark souls (though haven't played that one) being as there the sort of game which scares off experienced gamers with the difficulty at times. Unless the person to be introduced is a glutton for punishment and loves being killed I would definitely avoid those two to start with. Maybe introduce those once they were getting better at 3rd person adventure/ RPG games to show how hard/rewarding gaming can be. I just cant imagine anyone being able to get into games after having that as their first experience of it, the game is fantastic but amazingly frustrating sometimes. I agree with pretty much all your other recommendations though the Prince of persia series and DA:O are both good choices for introductions. I would be inclined to avoid first person games as a lot of people seem to have real problems with spacial awareness when they cant see their character.
That's why I've got it in the challenges category. Although to be honest, I don't understand what everyone's problem is because neither Demon's Souls nor Dark Souls are nearly as difficult as everyone says they are. They certainly aren't easy by any means, but they aren't as controller smashingly infuriating as they're being held up as. I would indefinitely recommend Dark Souls to anyone who loves a good challenge. And the Elder Scrolls(or possibly Deus Ex: Human Revolution) are the ONLY games I would recommend that are in first person. And in Elder Scrolls you can switch to third person if you so desire.(I play in third person when I'm exploring, switch to first person when I engage in combat)
Demons souls definitely has a massive learning curve once you get the hang of the game its not actually too hard. I suppose your experience with the game depends on what your used to, I generally play games for the story so when I started playing Demons souls I died a fair amount and there were some times where I just couldn't progress and the repeated deaths were very frustrating. On the other hand if you play every game on the maximum difficulty setting and are in it mostly for the challenge then I can see DS being a very different experience not too much different from previously played games. The main reason I would avoid DS for a new gamer is because it dosen't really allow any leeway with the controls, if your a little slow on the dodge or block your dead, Unlike say Devil may cry where on the lower settings at least the game is fairly forgiving. I recently got my girlfriend back into gaming through a combination of Okami Skyrim and portal two. Okami she loved for the art style and the combat is quite forgiving most of the time, Skyrim has an epic setting, is playable in 3rd person (which she does all the time) and on easy most enemies wont kill you outright, Portal 2 coop is great for learning more about 1st person as you play together and there are few limits on time etc. She tried Demons souls and even after becoming pretty good at skyrim okami etc was repeatedly killed on the first level due to the unforgiving nature of the game, she hasn't played it since.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Arif_Sohaib said:
ExiusXavarus said:
Do they like challenges? Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma would be good choices.

If they like lots of action: (see challenging games list), Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia and Lollipop Chainsaw would all be splendid choices.

Fantasy settings? Elder Scrolls series, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon's Dogma, White Knight Chronicles and anything in the Tales of Series would be awesome choices.

If they're major music lovers then I would recommend Guitar Hero, Band Hero, Rockband and DJ hero as pretty solid choices.

Choose something easier, more casual, first. If it's too easy for them, pick something more challenging. Too hard? Something a little bit easier with a bite would be desirable. I would first ask them what kind of setting they like. Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, War, Medieval, that kinda stuff.
Most of these are way too hard.
Dark Souls and Demon Souls? These are famous for being hard so is Devil May Cry the first two were made because people were thinking games are getting too easy. Prince of Persia Sands of Time may be good, any other is too hard or too boring(2008 and Forgotten Sands).
Dragon Age Origins's interface(on PC)was too confusing even to me and I have been playing games for a long time. You would have an easier time teaching someone Programming or Advanced Math.
Good God almighty does anyone read before they speak? They're listed in my challenging games category specifically because they're hard games. I even said myself that I'd recommend them to people if they like a good challenge! And if the PC interface for DA: O is too confusing, simply play it on consoles. It's not confusing at all, and I started playing video games over 18 years ago. Every Prince of Persia game is a good game and I would wholly recommend all of them. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others don't.

Is anyone going to say anything productive here rather than bash on my own choices for recommendations? I'm not stupid and I listed everything for a specific reason. I think it would be pretty amazing if people stopped acting like I'm some kind of idiot.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Dark Souls, Super Meat Boy, the online portion of Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, basically, scare them the hell away. We don't take kindly to noobs 'round these parts.
But seriously, Nintendo made an entire console and a handheld designed for getting people into gaming, I'd suggest making use of it...

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
ExiusXavarus said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
ExiusXavarus said:

Dark Souls and Demon Souls? These are famous for being hard so is Devil May Cry the first two were made because people were thinking games are getting too easy. Prince of Persia Sands of Time may be good, any other is too hard or too boring(2008 and Forgotten Sands).
Dragon Age Origins's interface(on PC)was too confusing even to me and I have been playing games for a long time. You would have an easier time teaching someone Programming or Advanced Math.
Good God almighty does anyone read before they speak? They're listed in my challenging games category specifically because they're hard games. I even said myself that I'd recommend them to people if they like a good challenge! And if the PC interface for DA: O is too confusing, simply play it on consoles. It's not confusing at all, and I started playing video games over 18 years ago. Every Prince of Persia game is a good game and I would wholly recommend all of them. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others don't.

Is anyone going to say anything productive here rather than bash on my own choices for recommendations? I'm not stupid and I listed everything for a specific reason. I think it would be pretty amazing if people stopped acting like I'm some kind of idiot.
Challenge? For someone who is holding a controller for the first time?
And I personally loved the Sands of Time series, it is actually my favorite game series but I would not recommend it as someone's first 3D game due to death traps and complex acrobatics coming in too quickly in the second and third game which would frustrate most new gamers, in the first game death traps don't come in until you have done complex acrobatics which you do before you even get the dagger.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Sandboxes might be a good choice. If they prefer plot or good writing in general, give them something like Assassins Creed 2. For just fun, Saints Row 2 might be good. It all depends on what they want from what they read, watch, etc.

Mysterious Druid

May 27, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
Depends on their taste in media outside of gaming. Do they already like fantasy stuff? Get them Fable. Sci-fi? I'd say Mass Effect isn't too complicated.

It all depends.
Mysterious Druid said:
Dwarf Fortress. The frustration would be palpable.
I love you man.
I love me too.

Bato said:
Mysterious Druid said:
Dwarf Fortress. The frustration would be palpable.
You are a terrible, abhorrent, sadistic person.
With the greatest account I have seen, because The Mystery of the Druids is awesome in it's own way.
Good show.
It is truly an abstract masterpiece. 2deep4everyone.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Ease them in with casual games first, something like Angry Birds or Mario Kart. Depending on their tastes, start getting into more challenging stuff like Team Fortress 2, and then get advanced with Minecraft and Command & Conquer.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
GoaThief said:
There are some really horrible suggestions here, particularly Dark/Demon Souls and Portal. As I said in another thread recently, these are very much Gamer's games and much will be lost on or frustrating for absolute beginners.
Yeah, I know. I'm not fooled that easily. Though Portal sounds a great game to use. I don't why that's a bad idea.

Elamdri said:
Depends on the person I think. Who are we talking about?
No one, really, but hey, you never know.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Arif_Sohaib said:
ExiusXavarus said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
ExiusXavarus said:

Challenge? For someone who is holding a controller for the first time?
And I personally loved the Sands of Time series, it is actually my favorite game series but I would not recommend it as someone's first 3D game due to death traps and complex acrobatics coming in too quickly in the second and third game which would frustrate most new gamers, in the first game death traps don't come in until you have done complex acrobatics which you do before you even get the dagger.
Yes. For someone holding a controller for the first time. What, are people not allowed to ramp up the difficulty? And saying that Warrior Within and Two Thrones are too difficult because of death traps and complex acrobatics is like saying that Halo is too difficult because you have to shoot at hordes of Covenant coming all at one time, while avoiding Banshees. You're telling us nothing new. People that like being challenged do exist. Hi! Oh, and people that really are interested in picking up games aren't going to turn away from the entire medium because they didn't like one game. That's like turning away from film because you didn't like one movie, or stop listening to music entirely because you didn't like one song. There's nothing wrong with giving a newcomer a challenge, as I said before, if they like a good challenge and they want one.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Journey is a really good intro-game, I've introduced someone with that. I've also had success with Skyrim, but that was just cuz she watched me play. I've used Portal with my physics professor, it worked well, but he had a lot of trouble in the beginning. Other than that, pretty much anything Nintendo. Just keep it simple.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
As others have said, depends on the person.

Me, personally, I'd show them Wild ARMs 1 just on the intro alone.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Perfect first game for anyone.

Seriously, for an introduction to gaming, probably Minecraft on peaceful or easy and probably the console version so they don't have to work out the crafting combos. It's easy to learn, hard to master.
After that, probably Portal for some laughter and puzzles.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Reyold said:
GoaThief said:
There are some really horrible suggestions here, particularly Dark/Demon Souls and Portal. As I said in another thread recently, these are very much Gamer's games and much will be lost on or frustrating for absolute beginners.
Yeah, I know. I'm not fooled that easily. Though Portal sounds a great game to use. I don't why that's a bad idea.

Elamdri said:
Depends on the person I think. Who are we talking about?
No one, really, but hey, you never know.
Well I asked because if you know the person, you can tailor the experience to meet their tastes.

I disagree with Portal being a bad game to start someone off with. It's almost entirely a tutorial and is pretty simple and non-offensive.

I started my sister out with Assassin's Creed 2.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Pokémon, definitely pokémon.Especially if they are a child.
GTAs i find are good if you have some friends over and are just showing one fun games.
Other good ones are prince of persia, super mario bros, and half-life 2 if you want to get and adult who has some free time into games.Definitely not a horror game that makes you feel lonely when playing.Deus ex is a good one,which an engaging story, but a bit dated by today's standards.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Every time this comes up people bray about Potal. Do not use the Portal games. Do not use any first person games. Controlling them is frustrating and unintuitive for first timers. It's a challenging puzzle just to walk across the room without getting stuck in an corner, staring at the floor, so you can forget thinking with Portals while they're still trying to think with a controller or Keyboard/mouse interface. I know you hardcore kids don't respect iOS, but it's great for getting people into the idea of gaming. My girlfriend is currently murdering my phone battery on a near daily basis playing Jetpack Joyride. If your goal is to get them onto a console or PC, then get a tie-in game to a movie or franchise they already like. It doesn't matter if it's even a good game as long as the controls are functional. They won't know the difference and won't really even know what elements to look for. They'll just know "Holy shit I'm controlling Harry Potter and shooting my magic juice all over the fucking place." That's why you liked all the shitty games you had as a kid. You had no frame of reference (also you were a little bit retarded and probably a disappointment to your parents).

DemBones

Apr 20, 2012
This person should discover what types of games he/she enjoys as they are introduced, so it's not necessarily best to introduce your favorites. It's important to think in baby steps so that this person is not overwhelmed. It also depends on the type of person; a young child will have not issue trying to obsessively beat a difficult game. Everyone on this site has done that. Here's a good introduction for every game type that currently exists for someone that had absolutely no interaction with games prior to meeting you:

1: an adventure game like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango. Something that has very, very basic gameplay. These games will help draw that person into an experience and immerse them, so that they can feel similar to the way you do when you play these games. This person gets a chance to guide a good story with his/her actions. Modern Telltale adventures like Sam and Max are easier, so you can start with an episode.

2: LittleBigPlanet/Super Mario Bros Wii. A basic introduction to 2D platforming in a non hectic environment. The advantage to these two games is that you can play along with them to help them out. If you think they don't need the help, then you can use any age appropriate 2D platformer you like

3: Super Mario Galaxy 2/Prince of Persia: Sands of Time/any Zelda. Introduction to 3D gameplay where you can again play along. If they don't need your help then use another 3D platformer. This could be when you introduce your favorite Zelda game. If they're tired of Mario or don't need your help, then use Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It's a classic game that is not overly difficult, but is harder than Mario.

4: Portal. This person should now have good spatial sense from 3D platforming, but spatial reasoning in an FPS is much different. Portal is calm and funny, and will be great for this person to get used to the mechanics of an FPS without constantly being shot at.

5: Bioshock/Bastion. Not only do these two games incorporate all of the learned mechanics, but they weave these mechanics into the narrative and introduce the final important aspect: RPG elements. Both of these games have simple RPG elements that anyone can understand. Bioshock is not a very difficult shooter compared to others, and the person may also begin to better appreciate the game and the medium due to its meta-gaming commentary.

Bastion is for those who are not old enough for Bioshock or still really love platformers. It can get overwhelming with enemies, but now this person should be ready. It also looks back to adventure games: the way the story is told makes you feel that you're guiding the events.

The crucial part of the last step is the introduction to RPG elements. If you think of a better game with simple and intuitive RPG elements then go for it.

I used these games because I like these games. You can use others if they follow the same principles.