So, You've Decided to Quit Gaming - Now What?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'd read more since I have a ton of books that I need to get through.

Possibly continue learning German and not be so damn lazy about it, so I'd take that way more seriously.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
RE-evaluate again my situation and come back to video games of course.

In the meantime thougt, I am not quite sure. Probably would focus a little more in studies and shit. But I am pretty sure than, if this should ever happen, I would be back to gaming in a matter of days.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos

Dec 7, 2012
I would get a life.

In all seriousness:
I'd probably would just find another hobby that could be considered geeky or nerdy. AKA just more internet.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
It really varies. I have plenty of time to enjoy my other hobbies now, so I doubt this would come up. Even if it did, I wouldn't sell my machines/games in case I decide to come back to it. To answer your question more directly; I would guess that I would spend more time at the forge. I currently only do Monday nights there, and I am sure my master could use the help.

May 17, 2010
Read more, watch more TV, etc.

Honestly it would be pretty easy to replace video games, I have gone for months without playing one.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This has already happened. Gaming fell from the no. 1 spot on my list of pastimes at least 5 years ago and now sits in the 5th or 6th spot on that list, with less than an hour a week being dedicated to gaming. I moved on to movies and web-surfing as my primary time-killers and most of my games have either "gone missing", been sold, or been given away. I have maybe 15 left and I play none on a regular basis (the only game I've played of late has been Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for GameCube, which I borrowed from my cousin). I still come to this site on a semi-regular basis, though, in spite of my lack of gaming interest.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
I would probably try to learn something that uses my hands, if I ever get sick of going home to stare at a screen after having spent all day doing that, then it seems obvious that some sort of manual hobby would be called for, I would like to do woodwork or something like that.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I tend to give up gaming for extended periods of time frequently, and I almost always use those times to make more art. But I also find that playing a new game with excellent art inspires me to make MORE art.

I think before I'd quit video games entirely I'd quit college, which is a far more costly and utterly useless endeavor.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Now what? Now I'm six feet under, feeding worms.

I guess maybe I'd work on writing more. But really, I'm far too lazy to actually be productive with all the newly-acquired free time (read: a whole hell of a lot) I'd gain from giving up video games.

My life would be significantly worse (or at least, more boring) without them.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
charge52 said:
Do the only thing I can, learn to program, and make video games.
There's a lot more to making games than coding. Not that anyone would get that from looking at the job listings on developer's websites...according to them it's all coding and marketing.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I barely game anyway these days, so more of what I do these days. Work, fuck all, listen to music and write

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I would try to get into a more productive hobby.
Quitting games for spending hours watching movies doesn't seems like an improvement...

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
If I came to the conclusion that video games weren't worth playing anymore, I would probably have reached a point where I was deeply depressed and simply sold off all my systems in preparation ("I won't be needing them anymore" being my train of thought).

So basically I'd quit life shortly afterwards.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
370999 said:
Read more, watch more TV, etc.

Honestly it would be pretty easy to replace video games, I have gone for months without playing one.
Pretty much this. My leisure time gets taken up by a variety of activities. When I get a great game, I tend to play it obsessively for a week or so. When I get a great book, I read it obsessively for that same week or so. Similarly for great TV shows and other great media. Then I am done with the game, book, or show (at least until the time comes for a replay/reread/rewatch).

But if no great game comes along (or ever came along again), I'd find another form of media to occupy my spare time.