Sobriety sucks

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It may be more enjoyable to not be sober but it's not going to improve my life beyond a short term jolt so I disagree. Oddly, the hedonists would agree to me since an excess of not being sober would inevitably lead to displeasureable negative repercussions.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Being sober is quite dull I agree. I have had many great nights on various substances, mainly painkillers but at least I don't deal with a hangover.

James Stanbridge

Aug 8, 2010
There's a difference between being pissed/drunk, being tipsy and just having a slight buzz.

If not a day goes by that he isn't drunk at some point, then yes, that's pretty bad. If he just has a couple of beers in him at a time, then fine.

But screw alcohol, I'm not a fan anymore. I've had my share of passing out at uni.

I'm all about the weed now anyway. I never understood people when they said they preferred being high to drunk and this culture of marijuana worship, but I totally get it now I'm at the party. I primarily smoke so that I can eat (acid reflux), and insomnia. Nothing is better than being able to sleep without resorting to pills and prescription only medicine.

I'm pretty baked.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Depends on how drunk you want to be. I personally enjoy being alert and sober, but I can understand wanting to be buzzed every now and again...but wanting to be buzzed all the time...maybe you're lacking something in life.

And if you're wanting to be piss drunk all the time then you probably need to find something that makes you happy besides alcohol. I've seen drunk people, I mean ALOT of drunk people in my time, and in the end it just seems sad...especially when they wake up the next morning.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
The Inebriati would like a word with you, sir:

In all seriousness, I don't really get people that say they are "not themselves" when drunk. Alcohol reduces your inhibitions, so it's more a case of you're less in control of what you reveal to people about yourself, through both your actions and words, but in my experience it doesn't add anything new to the mix. So you're still yourself, just amplified a bit more. "In vino veritas", and all that.

Not to say that's necessarily a good thing, but just something interesting to consider.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Screamarie said:
Depends on how drunk you want to be. I personally enjoy being alert and sober, but I can understand wanting to be buzzed every now and again...but wanting to be buzzed all the time...maybe you're lacking something in life.

And if you're wanting to be piss drunk all the time then you probably need to find something that makes you happy besides alcohol. I've seen drunk people, I mean ALOT of drunk people in my time, and in the end it just seems sad...especially when they wake up the next morning.
^This. A Freind of mine got to the point where he was vomiting all over the carpet last weekend, He was crying, He couldn't stand up. And this is "Fun".

Also, im sick and tired of people getting smashed, doing something stupid and then running out and smashing their head open on a curb. And then, they ask for sympathy.
If you do something stupid whilst your drunk, you deserve it.

I know it's fine in small amounts, but nobody obeys that. The Sense of reason dissapates as you drink more, thus leading you to think "Ahh, one more won't hurt" and so on.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
Wrong site for this buddy but I agree, being sober can be boring as hell. You're gonna get a lot of hate for the fact that you're obviously dependent on alcohol for liking to drink when appropriate though.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
i done lots of drinking, and pot smoking in my life. im perfectly find with being sober, and tend to like to be sober, i only drink to get over social anxiety in large groups, and only smoke with friends.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
I have come to the conclusion that sobriety sucks. Not just the Straight Edge notion of absolute sobriety that some of you here know I used to subscribe to. Being sober in any situation that does not absolutely require it sucks. There is never a situation where I think "damn, I wish I was sober right now" but there are plenty where I think "damn, I wish I wasn't sober right now".

Does anybody here feel the same way?

Also, it feels appropriate to post this here:

Well, there was one situation, where I had to evade the proper authorities, whilst highly inebriated. I damn well wished I was sober then. Beyond that, I do agree.

Case in point, I was at a fantastic party last night. A very drunk me ended up getting off with beautiful (sober) girl. I guess there's a reason why they call it social lubricant.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
RewardMe said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Lilani said:
Get some help.
Alcohol is my help. Little else worked, but it tends to get the job done.
You and me both, buddy. Most of these kids who tell you to get help have never touched the stuff in their lifes. They know nothing about drinking and being drunk.
So because we hold a different view on it, that MUST mean we haven't had the same experiences as you, otherwise we would have come to the same conclusion as you, as your opinion is that of the worlds.

No, I'm gonna go with the other people on this thread who say they prefer remembering things, acting reasonable and having interesting conversations, because I've tried both, and I like the latter.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Midgeamoo said:
RewardMe said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Lilani said:
Get some help.
Alcohol is my help. Little else worked, but it tends to get the job done.
You and me both, buddy. Most of these kids who tell you to get help have never touched the stuff in their lifes. They know nothing about drinking and being drunk.
So because we hold a different view on it, that MUST mean we haven't had the same experiences as you, otherwise we would have come to the same conclusion as you, as your opinion is that of the worlds.

No, I'm gonna go with the other people on this thread who say they prefer remembering things, acting reasonable and having interesting conversations, because I've tried both, and I like the latter.
Because drinking always leads to forgetting things and acting like a douche doesn't it?

Some people seem to not realise that it actually is possible to get drunk and still have control over your actions, AND to remember the entire night.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I love being sober. The one time I was under the influence of marijuana I became deeply annoyed by my inability to think or remember things.

You can't explain that.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Amarok said:
I love being sober. The one time I was under the influence of marijuana I became deeply annoyed by my inability to think or remember things.

You can't explain that.
Sure I can, different people have different experiences with drugs. Boom! Explained!

Anywho on topic, I like to drink, I don't have any issues in the slightest with those who don't, or those who dislike drinking.

I dislike the new incarnation of straight edge. I don't have a problem with promoting sober living, more power to 'em.

I have major problems with dickheads who somehow think that straight edge means 'LOOK AT ME, I'M BETTER THAN YOU.' But they're not better than anyone...they don't even have a personality.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Lilani said:
Fawful said:
No. I like being able to think, recall, talk and otherwise act like a reasonable person.
I like those things, too. I've never understood how people can even call it "fun" if they have to call 20 different people the next day to figure out exactly what happened.
If that is what happens when you drink then you're doing it wrong.

OT:
I like being buzzed and/or high too, but it's not something I long for in everyday situations.
That stuff is reserved for the weekend and maybe also special occasions.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
El Luck said:
Amarok said:

You can't explain that.
Sure I can, different people have different experiences with drugs. Boom! Explained!

Anywho on topic, I like to drink, I don't have any issues in the slightest with those who don't, or those who dislike drinking.

I dislike the new incarnation of straight edge. I don't have a problem with promoting sober living, more power to 'em.

I have major problems with dickheads who somehow think that straight edge means 'LOOK AT ME, I'M BETTER THAN YOU.' But they're not better than anyone...they don't even have a personality.
I was going at that from a meme angle, but well-played!

And indeed, I know exactly the type you're talking about. Myself, I don't drink much. It's just not my bag. But there's a fellow in my college class who seems to pride himself on never touching the sauce. And not having a facebook account. He's an irritating little s'wit if ever there was one.