Soldiers Support Six Days in Fallujah

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Soldiers Support Six Days in Fallujah

The announcement of Six Days in Fallujah resulted in outrage and anger from various quarters but support for the game is being expressed by gamers with an added layer of credibility - veterans of the war in Iraq.

Within 24 hours of the game's announcement, anti-war groups, parents of soldiers killed in the war and veterans of the original invasion of Iraq Konami [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90759-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Triggers-Outrage] will either trivialize the battle and the sacrifices made by soldiers who fought it or glorify the indiscriminate killing of civilians and incite Muslim fanatics to seek revenge. Some have even called for it to be banned, despite the fact that virtually nothing is known about how the game will actually present the subject matter.

But at least some soldiers feel very differently about the game. "As a combat veteran and as a gamer, I have no problem whatsoever with the game," Sgt. Casey J. McGeorge, who served three tours in Iraq, told G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694612/Soldiers-Respond-To-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Controversy.html]. "As long as it's made as realistically as possibly, I believe that this could be a good thing for both combat veterans and for the war in general."

"Let it be made, and hopefully it will bolster support for military veterans by giving civilians insight into what this war was actually like for them," added Sgt. Kevin Smith. "You can't just lob a frag down the street or launch an RPG at a couple of guys if you have to reload. There are restrictions on what types of weapons you can use and when. Depending on what the Rules of Engagement were for the Marines in Fallujah, and if Atomic Games [http://www.atomic.com/] has consequences for violating them, I think some gamers might find it a little frustrating."

"Realism," of course, will be one of the biggest hurdles facing Konami and Atomic Games as they develop Six Days in Fallujah. Too little and the game will end up doing precisely what critics are claiming by trivializing the soldiers' experiences; too much and nobody will want to play the thing because let's face it, games are meant to be fun and war most certainly isn't. But these soldiers are hopeful that there will be at least enough reality to give other gamers an honest look at what they went through in the war, and for that they're willing to give Six Days a chance.

"I really hope that this title receives positive press and encourages more empathy towards veterans after gamers have 'experienced' what they have gone through," Smith said, before revealing his true gamer colors by adding, "On a side note, I really hope this game includes co-op!"

And for critics who refuse to be swayed, Gunnery Sergeant John Mundy offered these remarkably incisive words of common sense: "If someone doesn't agree with the game, they can spend their money elsewhere," he said.

via: <a href="http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/
04/10/iraq-war-vets-express-support-konami039s-six-days-fallujah">GamePolitics

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/soldiersmediacenter/469909676/])

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'm not sure what to think of this game. It's certainly bordering on tasteless, but then, there have been countless WWII shooters, a war in which a hell of a lot more people died than in Iraq. If this game is made well, to show what war is actually like (or at least as close to what war is actually like as you can get in a game), then I think it could have a lot of potential.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I've got immense respect for these troops now for not going with the crowd and actually supporting this game.

I have high hopes for this game now, here's to hoping it'll be as awesome as it can be!

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
As long as it enforces ROE and other RL mechanics that will keep it real (much like Full Spectrum Warrior)...

I think this could be a good thing.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Anachronism said:
I'm not sure what to think of this game. It's certainly bordering on tasteless, but then, there have been countless WWII shooters, a war in which a hell of a lot more people died than in Iraq. If this game is made well, to show what war is actually like (or at least as close to what war is actually like as you can get in a game), then I think it could have a lot of potential.
Iraq wasn't a whole lot like WW2. primarily due to the fact that I cant tell you who my enemy is if you put them in a line. the problem with Iraq is that anyone could be an enemy but anyone could also be an innocent bystander, in WW2 you could tell the two apart.

I don't know if it will be tasteless or not. it certainly could but as Mal pointed out, no one knows how they will portray the war, there is no way and no reason to believe this game will be tasteless.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I just find it annoying that some people protest against it even though combat veterans support it. And even though they've barely even started. I can understand their worries about it trivalising the effects of war, and its cost in lives, money, time, and every other way it impacts on the world.

Still, if its done right, it could well help make people think twice whenever a leader says 'Hey, lets invade that country, they are a threat to us, and have WMDs!'

Operation Flashpoint, perhaps the most realistic shooter game to date, pretty clearly showed me that, in real combat, I'd do slightly worst that a big doppy cow with a gun strapped to him. Still a good game, although Armed Assault - based off of that game in multiplayer - just had too much realism; i.e. you had no idea what you where doing nor where you were.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
I thought the game was based on the journals, pictures and videos made by veterans.
The veterans decided to let it be made into a game because as a movie it would be just another war movie, and no other forms of media ar really there to graphically express what ahppened through the eyes of the soldiers.

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90759-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Triggers-Outrage
Here you go.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Pi_Fighter said:
I thought the game was based on the journals, pictures and videos made by veterans.
The veterans decided to let it be made into a game because as a movie it would be just another war movie, and no other forms of media ar really there to graphically express what ahppened through the eyes of the soldiers.

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90759-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Triggers-Outrage
Here you go.
Yes, it was inspired and requested by a group of Veterans; other Veterans who were unaware of this are now lending it their vocal support.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
In all honesty the controversy had merely made me want to buy this game even more.

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Doug said:
I just find it annoying that some people protest against it even though combat veterans support it.
Let's parse this "some people" a bit:

"Within 24 hours of the game's announcement, anti-war groups, parents of soldiers killed in the war and veterans of the original invasion of Iraq expressed strong disapproval of Six Days in Fallujah"

'Some people' includes "veterans of the original invasion of Iraq", so your sentence reads:

I just find it annoying that combat veterans protest against it even though combat veterans support it.

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Drayco90 said:
If someone doesn't agree with the game, they can spend their money elsewhere

AMEN
If someone doesn't agree with the game then he can say that he thinks it's a stupid fucking idea.

Soothlice.

omglaserspewpew

Jan 28, 2008
Those last words are more a case of sheer ignorance than common sense. People aren't protesting the game because they think it's going to be a bad product and not worth your money. They protest because of the possible cultural impact. But I guess that in times of rampant consumerism the only important thing in life is what's worth buying. Sheesh.

I have no hope whatsoever that any *successful* computer game can truly realistically show what war can be. Games are meant to be a form of entertainment and though that doesn't mean they need to be explicitly fun all the time, they still can't portray the harsh reality. And even if they could: who in their right mind would buy something that causes post-traumatic stress syndrome?!

Can a computer game be made that shows war in an appropriate documentary manner? Yes. Would it be fun? Only for those that crave documentary films or books. Which I guess is like 5% of gamer population. Or more like 1%, when I read comments here.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
So you're saying that videogames can't have the same depth and value as television, movies and books? That no matter how the industry, and gamers themselves, mature, Halo will forever been the pinnacle of the medium?

That's a bit pessimistic for me.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I understand why people are upset over this game, but I still think it's irrational. Did they complain about The Marine with John Cena? That movie treated the war in Iraq with all the realism and dignity of a cartoon shit-taco. Please don't ask why I've seen it, by the way :). Unless I've been badly mislead, it is my understanding that Atomic Games was approached by soldiers with the idea. Surely that counts for something? They are, after all, the ones we should be concerned about.

I haven't seen a critic acknowledge the fact that Atomic Games promises to treat the source material with dignity and respect. Granted, this industry doesn't have a great track record for that, but it's certainly no worse than films and television. If critics think Atomic Games is lying or confused, I wish they would call them out on it, instead of just invoking the same old knee-jerk accusations and generalizations. Accusations seem baseless because they ignore the context surrounding this particular game.

And to those who think the game will incite Muslims to violence- you may have a point, in that all media can effect our perceptions of each other. But it's a drop in the ocean. Complaining about a video game while western countries open their doors to Islam, meanwhile meddling in the affairs of Islamic countries borders on the absurd. Don't worry if you turned off the lights when your house is burning.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
omglaserspewpew said:
Those last words are more a case of sheer ignorance than common sense. People aren't protesting the game because they think it's going to be a bad product and not worth your money. They protest because of the possible cultural impact. But I guess that in times of rampant consumerism the only important thing in life is what's worth buying. Sheesh.

I have no hope whatsoever that any *successful* computer game can truly realistically show what war can be. Games are meant to be a form of entertainment and though that doesn't mean they need to be explicitly fun all the time, they still can't portray the harsh reality. And even if they could: who in their right mind would buy something that causes post-traumatic stress syndrome?!

Can a computer game be made that shows war in an appropriate documentary manner? Yes. Would it be fun? Only for those that crave documentary films or books. Which I guess is like 5% of gamer population. Or more like 1%, when I read comments here.
Okay, so let's say it's a Jingoistic piece of pro-american propaganda. What exactly is wrong with that? We can't have pro-american propaganda saying that what we've done in wartime (except for WWII) was a good thing?

Honestly that's the "worst" case scenario, and why people are protesting it. The "peace at any price" and "anti-Bush" liberal factions. No matter what, they want our actions in Iraq to be portrayed as horrendous, insanely misguided, war crimes irregardless of reality.

This provides a balancing perspective, and honestly when it comes to the liberal media/propaganda machine, they really don't like the other side being expressed.

So basically, I say "go ahead with the game". Honestly though I imagine the media will never, ever, be quiet with criticizing it for the reasons I express above.

Besides, I find it ironic that people can support games with a bloody rapper going down to The Middle East and killing lots of people, but a (presumably) heroic depiction of our soldiers doing the same thing in a real battle is wrong?

Let's be honest it's all about politics. I'll betcha plenty of liberal defenders who love games like Grand Theft Auto, and Saint's Row will wind up panning this game purely because of politics, and the deep seated need to see their attitudes on the Iraq war validated.

Consider that the country is divided on the issue. The media makes it seem like everyone hates the Iraq war. But going by the numbers even after the last election your STILL dealing with a little over 40% of the population who didn't vote for Obama and more or less support "The War On Terror" on it's various fronts. Our country is hugely polarized. A majority on any subject isn't as much as people might want to think.

>>>----Therumancer--->

omglaserspewpew

Jan 28, 2008
@Malygris: that's why I wrote the last paragraph. Yes, a videogame can be made with the depth of movies and books of the highest standard. How it would be recieved by the public is entirely different matter, though.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for deep, culturally critical games. Games, that are not necessarily entertainment, but rather an experience, even if a bit unpleasant. Sadly, big publishers don't seem to share my enthusiasm. :(

As Iraqi war vet Dan Rosenthal said:

"A 'realistic' war game is not going to be fun ? who wants to play a game where you sit around doing nothing, punctuated by raiding the wrong house and tearing apart the home of an irate Iraqi family, or sitting around on a convoy until your vehicle gets hit by an IED and your character dies, with no clear enemy in sight? Who wants to play that?"

But that's the way this game would have to be ... to be really able to show the truth.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
omglaserspewpew said:
The Silent Hill series would like to speak with you.

Hell, pretty much any [x] horror film, book, show, or game gives you "post traumatic stress syndrome".

After all, horror games/films/books aren't meant for you to "enjoy" them, they're meant to stress you out and fear for your life and scare you. People like the thrill though.

And apparently, this game is going to be more survival horror than anything else. It'll be expected of them to show off gruesome imagery and such in this game.