Solid Snake Wants You To See Watchmen Again

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Solid Snake Wants You To See Watchmen Again

David Hayter [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371684/], the voice of Solid Snake and one of the brains behind the Watchmen screenplay, has penned an open letter to upstanding geeks worldwide, urging them to see Watchmen again this weekend, if they care about the things they love.

"Please go see the movie again next weekend," Hayter pleaded in an open letter published on Hardcore Nerdity [http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A40658]. "You have to understand, everyone is watching to see how the film will do in its second week. If you care about movies that have a brain, or balls, (and this film's got both, literally), or true adaptations -- And if you're thinking of seeing it again anyway, please go back this weekend, Friday or Saturday night."

If Watchmen were to stumble down the box office charts this weekend, Hayter argues, it could mean bad things not just for the film, but this whole breed of movies in general. "Demonstrate the power of the fans, because it'll help let the people who pay for these movies know what we'd like to see," he urged. "Because if it drops off the radar after the first weekend, they will never allow a film like this to be made again."

I'm sure a lot of people who liked the movie (myself included) were planning on seeing it again, but what about the people who hate it or refuse to see it? Hayter's got some words for them too: "You say you don't like it. You say you've got issues. I get it. And yet...You'll be thinking about this film, down the road. It'll nag at you... Trust me. You'll come back, eventually. Just like Sally. Might as well make it count for something."

Well, I was going to practice my Street Fighter IV skills for my match with Funk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/CantFaketheFunk], but seriously, who needs practice to beat him, so maybe I will go see Watchmen again. Wouldn't want to get my neck snapped by Solid Snake for not going.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!

Seriously though...

A "True Adaptation" isn't always desirable, Watchmen is not bettered by its transfer to the film medium and when the scribe of X2, one of the BEST comic book movies ever tells me to accept a "True Adaptation" that is exactly the opposite of his work on X2.. well... one starts to wonder whether or not he's just pimping the screenplay he co-wrote.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!

Seriously though...

A "True Adaptation" isn't always desirable, Watchmen is not bettered by its transfer to the film medium and when the scribe of X2, one of the BEST comic book movies ever tells me to accept a "True Adaptation" that is exactly the opposite of his work on X2.. well... one starts to wonder whether or not he's just pimping the screenplay he co-wrote.
You're probably right, but nerds will obey the voice of Solid Snake no matter what he says.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, those pesky snakes are something you have to watch out for, believe me when I say that neck-snaps hurt!

Back on topic, I enjoyed The Watchmen, and was planning on taking some friends to go see it this weekend anyways. So, don't worry David, your movie is going to do fine, you can head back to bed now and not snap anybody's necks because you will know that Grink is here to support your movie.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Keane Ng said:
You say you've got issues. I get it. And yet...You'll be thinking about this film, down the road. It'll nag at you...
Oh no it won't.
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'm not sure about X2 being one of the best comic book movies ever, but I tend to agree with most of the rest written here.

There are plenty of absolutely fantastic, artistic, incredibly well-made movies, even ones made in the US that fail miserably at the box office - for whom this plea would be justified. The Watchmen is not one of those. It is neither sufficiently brilliant, nor a commercial failure, judging from the way things are headed right now.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I didn't think the movie was bad, but it was very hit and miss. Some things were dead on, and other things made me wonder what they were smoking. That having been said, if you want me to see a movie more than once in the theatre, it has to be damn good. Hollywood isn't going to stop making comic book movies if Watchmen doesn't do as well as they thought. I saw The Dark Knight three times because it was just that good. You got my $10 once already; You're not getting it again.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I really loved the movie and planned on seeing it again, guess I will see it this weekend! I already plan on getting the extended version when it comes out on DVD (It will be 3+ hours, pretty much restoring what was cut from the movie that is being shown in the theaters) but considering I saw The Dark Knight 4 times in the theater (3 at a regular theater, once at an Imax theater) I will probably be seeing this this weekend at an Imax.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Off-Topic: Is it just me or is David Hayter incredibly good looking?

On-Topic: I haven't seen it yet, and am currently reading the graphic novel. Sorry Snake, but I want to read it before I see it (something I've been putting off for a while).

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Watchmen was enjoyable, but once on the big screen was enough for me. I may invest in the DVD for the director's cut, which will include Tales of the Black Freighter interwoven into the movie, like in the book. But seeing the Watchmen a second time in the cinema? I don't wanna. I don't think so.

Why not? Because

a) cinema tickets be expensive - tickets are usually discounted during the (much slower) weekdays, at least that's the way it works in Prague,

b) I had planned on reading the graphic novel a second time after seeing the movie - sure I dig Watchmen, but not *that* much, and above all

c) Silk Specter II and Nite Owl II's sex scene: there is no way I'm sitting through that again. Yes, ok, it's a hot scene, but Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah puts out the fire. No matter who's singing it, Hallelujah instantly turns any scene into a trite and ridiculous heap of cringe, *rolleyes*, WTF?, "N-word, please!", and/or LOL up to ROFLMFAO. Srsly. Great song on its own, but keep it out of TV and movies.

If the cinemas agree to mute the sound during that scene then maybe, just maybe, I'll go see it again on the big screen

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
You missed the part when he can't decide whether to compare it to Kubrick's films or to Apocalypse Now. We all have pretty high estimations of our work, but jeez... I'm actually a little annoyed by this call to spend our money. I'm sorry, I still don't see Watchmen as on its way to being looked back in ten to twenty years from now as a Kubrick or Coppola rivaling film.

data_not_found

Nov 12, 2008
I wouldn't really mind if it fell of the box office charts. We just have to see all the other comic book movie and boycott the ones that try to reenact stuff like watchmen. Seriously, the good comics are good because they take advantage of the medium. If we see it simply because it shares elements of the story and none of the features that made it truly great, then we just prove to the money grubbing bastards in the movie studios that we'll pay them any amount of money to see crap they put out as long as it references something we enjoy. Watchmen wasn't an awful movie per say, but it didn't do the original justice. Comic book movies only work with comic franchises, otherwise directors will try to copy-paste the comic into a movie and either ruin the story or limit it by not taking any creative license.

X-men was really cool because it did things with the characters and powers that we hadn't seen before. Watchmen simply doesn't work because the story was tweaked to perfection to work with a comic, and when you start changing minute details and shortening the story, it just loses all that made thought provoking and leaves a convoluted mess of a plot that's over too quickly for us to savour the little gems.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
BillBarilko said:
Watchmen was enjoyable, but once on the big screen was enough for me. I may invest in the DVD for the director's cut, which will include Tales of the Black Freighter interwoven into the movie, like in the book. But seeing the Watchmen a second time in the cinema? I don't wanna. I don't think so.

Why not? Because

a) cinema tickets be expensive - tickets are usually discounted during the (much slower) weekdays, at least that's the way it works in Prague,

b) I had planned on reading the graphic novel a second time after seeing the movie - sure I dig Watchmen, but not *that* much, and above all

c) Silk Specter II and Nite Owl II's sex scene: there is no way I'm sitting through that again. Yes, ok, it's a hot scene, but Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah puts out the fire. No matter who's singing it, Hallelujah instantly turns any scene into a trite and ridiculous heap of cringe, *rolleyes*, WTF?, "N-word, please!", and/or LOL up to ROFLMFAO. Srsly. Great song on its own, but keep it out of TV and movies.

If the cinemas agree to mute the sound during that scene then maybe, just maybe, I'll go see it again on the big screen
Also, 'hallelujah' won 'X Factor' for someone this year, and as Frankie Boyle said I believe 'Hallelujah is now doomed to be remembered only as a song to be played at the funerals of idiots.'

If I could afford it, I'd go see it again, but the rare times I go, I want a big soda, big popcorn and that's £10 gone straight away, and then on top of that there's travel to the cinema, half an hour by train and then another £8 on a ticket. Then as above stated there's THAT scene to sit thru again.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Well, I was going to practice my Street Fighter IV skills for my match with Funk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/CantFaketheFunk], but seriously, who needs practice to beat him, so maybe I will go see Watchmen again. Wouldn't want to get my neck snapped by Solid Snake for not going.
No! You get back to practicing mister! Just be sure to get some of those good-for-you drinks that will keep your bones from stiffening, and don't over practice!

Vrud

Mar 11, 2009
Watchmen was a great comic. The movie was really only decent because it was based on the comic - it didn't transfer to the new medium well.

Mar 12, 2009
My friend is going to take me to see it in a couple of weeks time but I don't like how Mr. Hayter came across there. He seemed pompous and bullying. Then again he's Solid ****ING Snake!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
A freind tells me you notice Aloootttt more in the movie when you see it a second time through, things people complain aren't in it. Apparently theres alot going on in the backround. I'm going to see it for the FIRST time this saturday, I hope.