Solutions in games that made you feel really stupid

Meark

Oct 24, 2009
I really hated having to close my DS to solve a puzzle in Phantom Hourglass. Stupidest solution ever. It's like they wanted me to stop playing the game.

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
Most of the puzzles in Portal.

Also in fable 3, where I managed to get lost when trying to find the white balverine, and realised i'd been going the wrong way for 10 mins, I felt ridicoulous ^^;

Patrick West

Sep 11, 2010
fucking ganondorf in ocarina of time
i was using the biggoron sword i was doing fine then after 50 hits i went why the fuck wont you die i then switched to the master sword hit him again then BOOM he died

oh AND ALL THE FUCKING MYST GAMES

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
In zelda twilight princess im still stuck at the bit quite early on when you have to find some monkey or something... i've been stuck there for 2-3 years... never bothered with a walktrhough though.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Zack and Wiki. The fire dragon thing. Did the whole puzzle, but didn't know how the hell to activate everything. Took me 2 days, then realised I had to shake the Wii Remote in a specific place to get everything to work. How much I facepalmed when I realised this fact.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I got 100% completion in Red Dead Redemption and didn't realize that there was a quick travel feature until about the last hour or so of my game. I manually traveled EVERYWHERE.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
baddude1337 said:
Uncharted 2, Limbo, but the one that sticks the most in my mind is the original MGS. I was pissed for hours trying to figure out what the colonel meant by Meryl's Codec is on the back of the CD case, and then I glanced at the case on the floor and realized he meant the game case.
I remember getting really angry, talking to myself and sarcastically announcing "Oh, maybe he means look on the game's CD case," picked it up and... Fuck, I felt a fool.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
aetharr said:
I got one.. on the game Puzzle Agent, there is a little puzzle in which you a receptionist is unable to remember your room number, as the janitor wrote it down from the night before.. the solution, when presented to you is so mind-bogglingly simple. In the end, the game developers actually released a patch to alter how that puzzle appeared to make it more simple to understand.

Spoiler: http://gamecola.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Grickle101-2010-07-01-15-19-32-89-copy.png
Oh yeah, that one. Man I felt stupid after I hit the hint button.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Playing I think it was 1 of the GBC Zeldas and had to open a door with two switches, I spent about 30 minutes trying to find a way to hold both switches down simultaneously before realizing I could press both switches separately.

Zedayen

Nov 20, 2010
I bought LoZ:OoT the day it came out, the first temple as kid Link, one of the earlier rooms. The door slams shuts, the bars slide down and you're in a seemingly empty room. On the far side of the room there is a lit torch and on each side of the door is an unlit torch.

I knew I had to light the torches, and after ten minutes of roll attacking walls in frustration my little brother said "Can you light your sticks on fire?" The reflection in TV facepalmed me.

That was the last time a game has ever made me feel stupid until Mass Effect. Mass Effect caused me rage trying to exit the damn Maeko. The in-game controls said "E" - Enter/exit the Maeko, the damn manual said "E" - Enter/exit the Maeko. Five minutes of pressing every other key and then I hit "Q"

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
Portal:
it's the one where you have to activate the moving platform and ride it to the side with the button... except on the advanced map there's turrets all. fricking. over the place
I beat it by sticking protals on the walls until i managed to fling myself onto a platform, then putting a portal on the wall way below me and trying to fall into it at the right angle. as well as flinging recovered turrets at the activated ones.
To this day I have no idea if that's how i was supposed to do it... but by god I DID

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i had to look up a nextgenwalkthrough for Half-Life 2 at least a dozen times... (i played it for the first time like a year and a half ago)

anyway, the one i needed help with that made me feel the stupidest: i was supposed to shoot a padlock off of a gate. :/ i felt like a total dipshit lol

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
Any game where I spend an insane amount of time trying to figure out a puzzle, and never notice the obvious, glowing solution beside me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm old. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.

Sunlight sensitive monster in basement. Floor above him, with sunbeam shining on the floor's center, where the floor is cracked. The cracked area has a wall around it so you can't just walk over to it and place a bomb there.

I didn't realize a double tap made Link THROW the bomb.

Oh the hours wasted.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Zork: Opening the jeweled egg.

"You have neither the tools nor the experience to open the egg".

Oh my god, I spent months stuck on that one.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I think we're all forgetting the king of facepalm solutions: Sonic 3, Carnival Night Act 2, the floating rotating barrel. If you've played it, you know the one. You're stuck in that room, and you jump over and over again, time out again and again, until you FINALLY figure out that all you have to do is press up and down. That's gotta make Dr. Robotnik facepalm. Throw wave after wave of badniks, spikes, saws and even the kitchen sink at us, to have his most effective trap in the entire original series be one floating barrel. +100 irony.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
Wutaiflea said:
My husband bought a Monkey Island game (MI 2 maybe? I dunno) on Steam recently, and he got stuck on this puzzle with a dude behind a door who would only give information after solving a puzzle password involving holding up a certain number of fingers.

We must've been there for fucking ages between the two of us, trying to see what the pattern was. In the end, when my husband finally consulted a walkthrough, the solution was so embarrassingly simple, I literally felt like a foamy-mouthed retard. We'd really over-thought it.

Good old Legend of Kyrandia was another great retard moment on my part too.
OMG!! You too? I'm not the only one!!

Simulated Eon

Oct 15, 2010
I can't really remember which game it was (could be in the Prince of Persia or Assassins Creed series) but I had to reach a certain spot high up. I thaught of an elaborate way to get up there and finally managed to get up there at my 5-6 time (each try took about 4-7 min) and then my brother plays the exact same spot a couple hours later goes up to a block nearby and jumps to the place. Facepalms ensued.

Oh and every Myst game. I only finished Riven.