Some Russians Think Chelyabinsk Meteor Wasn't A Meteor

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I've been preparing for when the zombies crawl out of the frakking woodwork. It was obviously a zombie meteorite.

First Chelyabinsk, tomorrow YOUR HOME TOWN

prepare

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
TheSYLOH said:
Sigh....
Why would the US government want a meteor launcher when they got nuclear ballistic missiles.
I don't know, but I love the idea of the Americans building a giant catapult and hurling rocks at Russia.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
HardkorSB said:
TheSYLOH said:
Sigh....
Why would the US government want a meteor launcher when they got nuclear ballistic missiles.
Also, if the US gov up and decided to nuke Russia for no reason, Why pick the middle of fucking nowhere, Siberia.
They would shoot a missile and WWIII would break out.
A meteor falling is just an act of nature, no conflict over that.
Why in Siberia? Because it was a test and not an actual attack.

Maybe it's really the Transformers?

I honestly hope it is transformers. That would make the whole 'God' analogy look stupid. I'm agnostic but it still makes me feel embarrassed when people call glowing rocks from the sky 'God symbols'. Though if it is the US, I hope they don't start another war.

Though I can imagine the US going "*Pretends to slip and accidentally pressing nuclear launch button* Oh, woe is me! What has happened?! I accidentally pressed this button o' death!"

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
thiosk said:
It was obviously a zombie meteorite.
That was Tunguska silly

OT:
Not any diffent then if this happened in the US
The is more stupidity then left over Cold war paranoia.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Darn, they're catching onto us. Still, they'll never suspect it was us! The Canadia-

Oh. They know everything. [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-spy-jeffrey-delisle-gets-20-years-for-selling-secrets-to-russia/article8390425/]

I forgot.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Not surprising really..

While many people might be aware of what the word meteor is referring to, seeing giant fireballs falling from the sky still isn't exactly an every day occurrence. Still stupid, but with people in general believing the things to do, once in a lifetime large exploding sky rocks are fairly likely to cause nonsense responses.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
OT: I find it troubling that lately it seems alot of old cold war paranoia has started floating around. I rather thought we were past this; aspiring Bond villain President Putin withstanding that is.
I got the strong impression that this is more of a cultural artifact resulting from decades of state controlled information flow rather than real cold war paranoia.

JonB said:
Russians are reluctant to trust the official story because during the Soviet era there were centrally controlled campaigns of misinformation about disasters and events surrounding national security, thus many turn to rumor and speculation for their version of events.

"Our people remember the Soviet past, when news of disasters was concealed or lied about," Alexei Grazhdankin, deputy director of an independent Moscow polling agency told Christian Science Monitor.
Distrust like this can take more than 50 years to die out. It's a generational thing. Basically the generation that lived during such times has to die out before it completely disappears.

The same sort of thing is happening in America with the REAL racists/homophobes/religious bigots etc from yesteryear slowly dying off and leaving behind younger generations that basically don't have the same hang ups. Or have them as intensely, anyway. We don't have the KKK running the South with tens of millions of members now like they did in the 1920's to 1960's, for example.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
So, half of Russia (or at least half of the people polled) have the same belief as /x/ regarding the meteor?

It is amazing how some people think that SOMEONE has to be blame for every single event.
It makes a lot of people sleep more easily at night if bad things can be blamed on someone. It is weirdly comforting to assume some evil person our group out there is plotting against you than to accept that the vast majority of people don't really gives much of a shit about you and the universe doesn't care if you live or die. People like to feel important and I think a lot of conspiracy theories focus on huge plots and such because it makes the conspiracy "uncoverer" feel somehow important and smarter than the masses who accept the lies they are told.

Everyone's a hero in their own mind, and accepting that most of everything we do is ultimately pointless is kind of jarring and disturbing to a lot of people.

OT: People believe a great many strange things. I won't judge them too harshly for their silliness, as long as no-one gets hurt because of it they are free to think of as many outlandish conspiracies as they want.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Copper Zen said:
KeyMaster45 said:
OT: I find it troubling that lately it seems alot of old cold war paranoia has started floating around. I rather thought we were past this; aspiring Bond villain President Putin withstanding that is.
I got the strong impression that this is more of a cultural artifact resulting from decades of state controlled information flow rather than real cold war paranoia.
I was referring to how some of them speculated it was the US firing an experimental weapon at them, not the general level of government mistrust.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I believe it has something to do with Project Blue Beam. It is only a matter of how much the public will play into their hands. And of course, play into their hands they will, because no one is left on this planet that trusts his instinct and intuition over his insane mind, which only listens to what TV and those calling themselves "SCIENTISTS" tell them... Yeah, I can tell we've come a long way since the dark ages! Oh wait, WE'RE STILL in the bloody DARK AGES! They just invented a new form of slavery called FREEDOM *sound of a billion eagles and a trumpet*!

I am free to follow THEIR rules, go to school, get a job, marry, fuck, consume poison AND DIE! If I want to do something to change this fucking world however, and speak out against our so called perfect freedom system, I'm a TURRIST, or CRAZEE, or EXTREMIST, or (I love this) need to see a doctor to check on my mental health! Who exactly lobotomised the entirety of the human species, to make them into the apathetic, without any empathy, artificially intelligent ZOMBIES that they are?! I can feel how our intellect, something we are born with (the so-called intellect of adulthood is a result of inhibition, therefore I would hardly consider it intelligent in any way) is being striped away by the culture, the society, the religion, the chemicals in food and water. People are in a trance and being led by folks with no empathy!

Please, for the sake of everyone in existence, become a bit aware. Stop trusting everything academia and media and religion tells you. We are being controlled!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.
bhjnasdfjkl;ah

I'm sorry that was me rolling my head across my keyboard from the shock that people like that exist.

OT: I wonder what David Eick's view on all this is.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
PoolCleaningRobot said:
TheSYLOH said:
Sigh....
Also, if the US gov up and decided to nuke Russia for no reason, Why pick the middle of fucking nowhere, Siberia.

Cause we need to remind them Ruskies who's boss! Also, dropping shit from space can create explosions bigger than nukes with less radioactive fallout (heavy things like Uranium rods). Not that we're planning on wiping out all the other nations on Earth and creating a 'Murican utopia or anything
The "Rods from God" concept. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment] It's quite interesting to be honest.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Reminds me of old West African beliefs that THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS, SOMEONE MUST HAVE CURSED ME.

The main question I want to ask is why is a random meteor so unlikely to these people? I mean, space rocks have to land SOMEwhere, right?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
If it can be explained by normal means there is no need to attach an extraordinary claim. Some people will just always be looking for validation for their beliefs. A meteor crashed to earth and broke my window, that's just god saying hi.

Idiots.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Do4600 said:
It can't be a UFO, because it's been identified as a meteorite.
It's also no longer flying. So 'unidentified' and 'flying' are both out.
It's an O! My god, we have an object on our hands!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I find it kind of disturbing with guys like Putin in charge that they act like the "Soviet Era" and it's mentality is a thing of the past, while still reacting this way, and with so much ignorance. It's pretty much back to square one.

That said a US weapon test makes little sense (though being a test would explain why it hit such a remote location) truthfully we'd be more likely to want to "test" on something like North Korea, China, or The Middle East, than on Russia, which is annoying, but hardly our #1 priority.

Skepticism is however always healthy and I wouldn't entirely dismiss the idea of it not being an actual meteor or exactly as it seems. Plenty of wierd stuff happens during disasters. For example people tend to forget that The Pentagon was also hit during the 9/11 attacks in the US and there have been some creepy cover ups about that side of things, while the media tends to mostly focus on The World Trade center, although The Pentagon being hit is actually a much bigger deal in the scheme of things. When I say "creepy cover ups" there are bits about people having seen odd things (like missles, or energy pulses) flying at a low altitude towards The Pentagon. While few people have been able to prove that, they were able to prove that the goverment did run around and confiscate pretty much every video tape and record around the site, including those that weren't exactly next to the impact location, and aimed at levels that are totally irrelevent to the idea of a plane crash. I'm not saying it nessicarly means anything... but the way the goverment acts it pretty much makes everything look like a bloody conspiricy.

I'd also point out that meteor bombardment was an old strategy during the cold war, basically the super powers had tons of eyes on each other directed towards placing missles or actual manufactured weapons in space. As any science fiction fan can tell you, one of the best ways of wiping out a planet is to fire meteors or aserroids at it. Apparently during The Cold War there was a lot said about the powers basically modifying existing satellites to either intentionally crash into the planet for a more limited impact (instead of a missle) or to put "peaceful research cargos" up into space that could secretly be deployed for a similar effect. Basically you put geological samples up into space to research the effects of zero gravity on whatever, in reality it's a huge honking chunk of mineral that will survive atmospheric re-entry with enough mass and speed to do damage that can be dropped from the satellite.

Now, I am NOT saying this is what happened, but when it comes to paranoid, consider that if Russia had actually done something like this, one of their best moves post-cold war would be to move the satellite(s) into an orbit over their own territory where they would attract less attention, and also still be up there if things changed and they wanted to use them later (and also to avoid attracting attention by taking them down and admitting what they did). Putting something like this over sparsely populated areas like Siberia in case of a malfunction would make sense, and to be honest given the general quality of vintage soviet engineering a malfunction would be inevitable, especially in the
long term since they probably didn't originally anticipate just leaving these things sitting there for decades on end like actually happened... I mean assuming this happened at all.

The point here being that in many cases truth is stranger than fiction, some of the garbage outed after The Cold War (never mind what goverments are still sitting on) is absolutly borked. You basically had mad scientists planning out doomsday weapons on both sides of the equasion. As any relatively informed person will tell you, with the time to develop new stuff nukes are probably the least of our worries since they are like 60+ years old now. Anyone who thinks militry technology peaked there and didn't move on, while the rest of civilization did is kind of naive. As guys like Robert Heinlan kind of pointed out real war usually comes down to "X weapons" X standing for unknown, whoever innovates the most winds up winning, and people even plan for this during peacetime. A-Bombs/Nukes were pretty much the defining X weapon of their day, being a big deal at the time. During The Cold War, neither the US or USSR was really content with a nuclear stalemate and were looking for anything they could get for an advantage.

Just some food for thought, Occam's Razor would propose that a meteor strike is the most likely culprit, since stuff like that does happen, and it was inevitable we'd see things like this. However there is plenty of room for it to be other things to the point where conspiricy theories aren't entirely out of line, since there is plenty of fuel for it beyond the obvious ridiculousness like a premeditated attack, or aliens chucking rocks for whatever reason.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Yes it would certainley be a message from god who lives in heaven which should be somewhere in the clouds(by judeo-chrystian mithology) saying to stop using planes and space shuttles because they mess up theyre pack yard... Right... and aliens wouldn't crash land on some meteor who passes the earth to jump off it and land in russian outback... they should hawe landed in US desert like theyre friends did...

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Doclector said:
I find this interesting, actually. Governments seem to forget their people's trust is a finite resource. Break that trust badly enough, and it becomes "the boy who cried wolf" or more like "the government who cried meteor". They lied before, why would they not lie again?

Here we have a country where government deception, it seems, has become imbedded into the national consciousness, to the point where it isn't crazy to think up conspiracies, it's wise.

Exactly, I almost feel sorry for the Russians. I mean, I do not trust the US government half the time, but I do still believe that they are mostly honest about the major things (mostly). But for the Russians, I can not blame them, they were told lies of epic proportions for so many decades that I would estimate 3 generations (from now) before they will trust their government again.