They were threatened by funding cuts from government
one unexpected meteor crash later, they have justification for existing
(beyond space exploration'n'shit)
Coincidence? I don't think so :/

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
As a Russian, I find this stupid.
Most of us are like... "Hey a meteor fell, it's nice no one died"
Even the priests on the news were like commenting "It's God's blessing no one died. But the meteor was from space and not a sign".
Most Russian TV covered it as a natural occurrence and a call for establishing "Space defense and anti-meteor rockets"

While I myself have thrown around jokes about it being a Kryptonian pod... nobody believes it was aleins, especially considering that pieces of the meteor were found and even sold online.

So the escapist, I salute you for finding possibly the dumbest news source in Russia.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
bificommander said:
Considering the number of Americans who'd have believed it had been the UN, the New World Order, or something supernatural, I can't say it suprises me. This is about as stupid as claiming black helicopters perform weapon tests on american farmlands, causing the cattle mutilations. You typically don't test your weapon where the enemy can see it better than you can. You only deploy it when you know it works, and then generally only if you're at war.

I guess the captcha-generator is a conspiracy-believer too: 'first contact'.
Funny you should say that. A few months back, me and my girlfriend were looking out her windows at two black helicopters that were flying around. One was high and circling the area, the other was low and hovering. Some men rappeled from the lower helicopter. The helicopter was just under a mile away and from where we placed it over empty fields.

vgmaster831

Jack of No Trades
Dec 15, 2010
Doclector said:
I find this interesting, actually. Governments seem to forget their people's trust is a finite resource. Break that trust badly enough, and it becomes "the boy who cried wolf" or more like "the government who cried meteor". They lied before, why would they not lie again?

Here we have a country where government deception, it seems, has become inbedded[sic] into the national conciousness[sic], to the point where it isn't crazy to think up conspiracies, it's wise.
But it is crazy to think up conspiracies. It's okay not to trust one's government (to a point). In fact, it breeds a stronger nation in many cases. It's the thought that it's UFOs or some crazy nuclear attack that is the correct explanation. I think people need more credible theories when they think the government has lied to them.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Ah so what. Conspiracy theories have been around since the dawn of our species.

Here's a new one I've just made up: It wasn't a meteor, but a damaged chem-trail aircraft that went out of control! As it plummeted to earth, the illuminati triggered explosives on board to prevent us from knowing the truth! WAKE UP SHEEPLE! WAKE UP SHEEPLE! WAKE UP SHEEPLE! THEY'RE ALL AROUND US! CONTROLLING OUR EVERY MOVE! CHEM-TRAILS! LIZARD PEOPLE! BILDERBERGS! THE UN! MOON-MEN! 9-11! ATLANTIS! They're alllllll connected! That's right, they're alllllll connected and they're on to you! Quick, get your tin-foil hat! They're gonna use space lasers to microwave your brain!

Oh conspiracy theorists. So crazy. So funny to watch, and yet, so tragic.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Given that reports have come in of people going out there hunting for meteorite fragments on account of them being worth far more than their size suggests, it seems that not everyone is quite as paranoid. Perhaps more the loss for those that are.

I'd be curious to know if anything else came in with the meteor, much as I doubt anything else survived the descent intact.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
In short - a news paper made bogus poll that offers falsified information in order to sell.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
"Half the readers of a Moscow paper believe that the meteorite was, say, a UFO or message from God."

This is why I believe in increased funding for public education. Yay for a lack of critical thinking skills!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
Most eastern European countries' people believe in conspiracy theories & such UFO-type-things.

I know because I lived there during my childhood(EE, not Chelyabinsk)
i call bull. i lived my whole live in eastern europe and trust me if theres anythign were full of it is cynism. we dont believe in anything. and religiuos zealots and UFO nuts look like solely american stupidity phenomenon. turns out the russians are more crazy than we though however. more reasons to hate them, as if we dont have enough what beign enslaved for decades and all.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Most eastern European countries' people believe in conspiracy theories & such UFO-type-things.

i call bull. i lived my whole live in eastern europe and trust me if theres anythign were full of it is cynism. we dont believe in anything. and religiuos zealots and UFO nuts look like solely american stupidity phenomenon. turns out the russians are more crazy than we though however. more reasons to hate them, as if we dont have enough what beign enslaved for decades and all.
Where, then?

Cause I lived in Lithuania, and an easy topic for discussion is conspiracy theories & belief in the supernatural.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Where, then?

Cause I lived in Lithuania, and an easy topic for discussion is conspiracy theories & belief in the supernatural.
Na ir sutapimas :D
I am lithuanian :D

Must have been different type of folk we knew. i know like two people who actually believe in god, zero who actually believe UFO to the level of "yeah i saw them abducting people" and ghosts arep retty much non-existent thing here. ANd i dont need to tell you about our idea of how we thing government is hopeless now do i?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Where, then?

Must have been different type of folk we knew. i know like two people who actually believe in god, zero who actually believe UFO to the level of "yeah i saw them abducting people" and ghosts arep retty much non-existent thing here. ANd i dont need to tell you about our idea of how we thing government is hopeless now do i?
Geras, gal man siaip nepasiseke.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Where, then?

Visko gali buti, bet ar cia mes galime lietuviskai sneketi?
Translation: it could be, but can we use lithuanian on these forums without translating?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Not surprising. Whenever something like this happens, people make up explanations like this.
I guess it's just really scary to think a meteor can just crach into Earth and kill us all, so thinking it was God (who did it because of gays/capitalism/communism/carrots) or an outside force you can fight makes you feel better.

The Rogue Wolf said:
As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.
It's the gay agenda.

Shirokurou said:
As a Russian, I find this stupid.
Most of us are like... "Hey a meteor fell, it's nice no one died"
Even the priests on the news were like commenting "It's God's blessing no one died. But the meteor was from space and not a sign".
Most Russian TV covered it as a natural occurrence and a call for establishing "Space defense and anti-meteor rockets"

While I myself have thrown around jokes about it being a Kryptonian pod... nobody believes it was aleins, especially considering that pieces of the meteor were found and even sold online.

So the escapist, I salute you for finding possibly the dumbest news source in Russia.
Some people will believe it was God or aliens.
This goes for any nation, especially if you phare your questions in a vague way, like 'Do you think the government told you EVERYTHING about the incident?', or 'Do you believe God wanted to say something with that meteorite?'

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Strazdas said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Where, then?

Visko gali buti, bet ar cia mes galime lietuviskai sneketi?
Translation: it could be, but can we use lithuanian on these forums without translating?
Man atrodos kad galima, bet visivien del atsargumo:
Translation: I think we can, but just in case: