Somebody Lost Apple's 4th-Gen iPhone Prototype In a Bar

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Somebody Lost Apple's 4th-Gen iPhone Prototype In a Bar

Some unlucky soul at Apple apparently left their 4th-generation iPhone prototype in a Redwood, California bar, where it was promptly returned - to techie press.

Right now, there is an Apple employee - who will probably not be an Apple employee much longer - wetting his pants in terror of Steve Jobs' wrath. Apple's newest iPhone model - cleverly disguised as the current 3GS - was discovered in a bar in Redwood, CA, where its owner appears to have forgotten it.

Somehow, it made its way to Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5520164/], who dissected the thing over a week's time and proclaimed: This is no hoax, it's the real deal. The device's authenticity seems to be further proven by news that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone, and is very keen on getting it back. Well, sorry Mr. Jobs, but too late for that.

The new device brings quite a few changes, which Gizmodo helpfully lists:

[blockquote]What's new

? Front-facing video chat camera
? Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
? Camera flash
? Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
? Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before-it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
? What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
? Split buttons for volume
? Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed

? The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
? An aluminum border going completely around the outside
? Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
? Everything is more squared off
? 3 grams heavier
? 16% Larger battery
? Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery[/blockquote]

So far the verdict seems to be "We like it!" But then again, would Apple faithful really say anything different?

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's funny.

But why is this a problem for Apple? It's not like it will make a difference on who buys it now, is it?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Maybe the Apple employee can get a job in the British Civil service (PaZing!).

Looks quite cool, but I'd like to see some of the software features too.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
OH SHIT *Checks Pocket*

phewww still there,

Someone is going to be never seen again, I can tell you that much :)

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
OOOOHHHHH!!!

To be fair, this must be amazing publicity.

Calumon: All this is made for £70! Yours for £700!

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Doesn't matter, I'll never be able to afford the bloody thing anyway.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Ehh.

Never cared about Apple that much.

I still think they charge too much for stuff that mainly looks nice, Im about substance, not style.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Didn't care about the iPhone before, don't care about it now. Didn't this same sort of thing just happen a couple months ago, with a prototype being left hanging around somewhere?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Well stupidity is looking to lead into good publicity on this one. Still a fail stamp must be applied to the person that lost it.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Another Iphone, sheesh that's a lot.

I would not like to be the guy who lost though, if that part of the story is true of course.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
Well this is either a very well planned publicity stunt or somebody is going to be looking through the classifieds. I doubt that this is a publicity stunt though, not really apples style. They normally have some big keynote/speech to release something (see loadingreadyrun: iPotatoe)

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
This happens all the time with Apple, I'm guessing people are getting paid to lose them, I'm pretty certain that all new model prototypes have been left in a bar (apart from the 1st 2g model).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/21/fixconn_suicide/
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/10/iphone-prototype-yanked-down-from-ebay/

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Cue Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple_p1.html

If I were the guy who lost that, I'd be scared shitless.