Somebody Lost Apple's 4th-Gen iPhone Prototype In a Bar

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
publicity stunt.

No way in hell would this happen in any other scenario.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
danpascooch said:
ColdStorage said:
This happens all the time with Apple, I'm guessing people are getting paid to lose them, I'm pretty certain that all new model prototypes have been left in a bar (apart from the 1st 2g model).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/21/fixconn_suicide/
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/10/iphone-prototype-yanked-down-from-ebay/
Since the Chinese story, these prototypes have been in existence for at least 6 months, and I can't imagine Apple having somebody lose not even knowing if it would reach the press.

Also, the Chinese story actually works AGAINST your argument, because I can't imagine a publicity stunt for an IPhone in which a guy kills himself, a company is accused of a brutal beating, and absolutely no details of the product the stunt is for gets released.
its China, shit goes down and they drop another person in his place lol
(sarcasm)

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
theklng said:
FactualSquirrel said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's funny.

But why is this a problem for Apple? It's not like it will make a difference on who buys it now, is it?
industry espionage
They say what they have, their competition says we beat that "____" with this "_____" thing then apple comes back with OH SHIT WE JUST TOPPED YOUR LAST MINUTE "___" WITH SOMETHING ELSE LIKE "____" thingy.

Its all strategy and its all going to work in Apples favor eventually, because this is a prototype.

Maibus

Aug 8, 2009
Steve Job's is going to pull a Darth Vader... You have failed me for the last time...

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
I'm calling BS. There's no way apple would change the iPhone design. They've established the look of the iPhone, why go and change it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Enigmers said:
Cue Cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple_p1.html

If I were the guy who lost that, I'd be scared shitless.
Damnit, I was going to link that. Ooh, I can still link!

You're a better ninja than any of these people: http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-amazing-stories-of-ninja-failure

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
I'm calling BS. There's no way apple would change the iPhone design. They've established the look of the iPhone, why go and change it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch ?

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Is it me or doesn't it look thick on the photo ?

As for the poor guy who's gonna get fired [out of a rocket into the Sun] (yeah, they get *really* pissed when you make a mistake at Apple), that sucks.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Who knows? Maybe Jobs will first provide the guy with a fine dinner, maybe some filet mignon or perhaps some chicken breast...

AND THEN LAUNCH THAT IDIOT FROM A CATAPULT.

(What? I've been watching LoadingReadyRun ^_^)

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
By the way, this is waaaaaaay too convoluted to be an intentional leak. Apple would never purposely release a prototype to the press this early and without the ability to see what it actually does. the iPad release was how they do it: you don't get to touch one until a month after they show it. THIS WAS NOT AN INTENTIONAL LEAK.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Out of curiosity, how did it get from the employee's bar all the way to Gizmodo without going anywhere near the hands of its owner? I mean, was there absolutely no information about who's this was on/ in it?

If I were the owner, I'd be screaming lawsuit to cover my ass, everyone who's touched that thing to the point of its disassembly would be hit.

Seriously... grabby nubby little human hands... if its not yours don't touch it!

...ingrates... -_-

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
Catkid906 said:
OOOOHHHHH!!!

To be fair, this must be amazing publicity.

Calumon: All this is made for £70! Yours for £700!
don't forget all the money you have to pay to use it Calumon

Jun 6, 2009
John Funk said:
Right now, there is an Apple employee - who will probably not be an Apple employee much longer - wetting his pants in terror of Steve Jobs' wrath.
That sentence alone made me think of this little list [http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html].

Number three seems fitting to the poor employee...

technotica

May 4, 2006
DAAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!!!

does make for good publicity though

no1 knows what,when,if any of those things are actually going into production. Im sure everyone already knew there was gonna be "another" Iphone eventually. That prototype either means nothing, or it could be ready to ship... who knows? Until its officially announced/released, which could be next year for all we know. The entire design could be changed, that phone is just a test subject.

It would be bad if another company got ahold of that thing.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I don't think that's a real Iphone 4G. It could just as well be one of those chinese rip-offs, which tend to have better technical specs than the original. If it is the real deal, I would expect Apple to sue Gizmondo promptly.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I don't know, I smell stunt. Remember that KITT incident? 1. Dude leaves a prototype in a bar, how can you forget you have a prototype iphone? Oh, bar... well, I can see that I guess. However, someone lifts it and 2. recongizes it as a prototype iPhone, when they might have just thought "knockoff" or just regular phone 3. Instead of trying to use it, return it, or sell it, this person gives it to Gizmodo. 4. Gizmodo, instead of trying to contact Apple, releases a breakdown of it without fear of retaliation from Apple.

Sure, it can all be legit, but I'm just not sure...

Conspiracy theories aside; if this guy really lost the prototype in a bar, he phoned the loss in from Cuba and no one is going to see him again. If he didn't run first, Jobs will make sure that no one sees him again.

Looks awesome.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
This does seem kind of convinient, it could possibly be a stunt.

Still, if it isn't, I'm curious as to the fate of the employee who lost this phone.

Maibus said:
Steve Job's is going to pull a Darth Vader... You have failed me for the last time...
I wonder what that conversation he'll have between himself/herself and Steve Jobs would sound like. Probably something exactly like the conversation between the unlucky Star Destroyer Captain (Needa) and Darth Vader.

JOBS: You have failed me for the last time!

EMPLOYEE: No! Please, Lord Jobs, accept my apology. It was only an acci...

<Choking Sounds, followed by the sounds of a body dropping to the floor>

JOBS: Apology, accepted, Mr./Ms. [insert-employee-name-here].