Someone explain the Mass Effect Series to me, please?

Nescabarr

Aug 6, 2011
I recently bought Mass Effect 2, I haven't played the prequel so I'm kind of confused about the story line of the game, What's 'Geth'? If someone could fill me in on what happened previously, and what's happening now as for all the Aliens, etc. It'd be appreciated.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Read the codex, and use the wiki [http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki].

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Geth are a synthetic species. They operate on a "hive mind" sort of system. Smarter in groups, dumber alone. They were created as labor for the Quarians (the ones in those special suits), and rebelled, forcing the Quarians into a migrant society.

Did I get that right, Escapist?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Saren, a rogue spectre (think sci-fi James Bond) was brainwashed by a Reaper (evil race that wants to kill everyone) into rallying the Geth (isolated robot race) to bring the Reapers into the galaxy. Shephard found out about this, became a spectre, and kicked Sarens ass before he could finish his evil plan. That's pretty much all you need to know, I think.

Oh, also the council are all deluded idiots refused to believe Reapers exist, and Shephard may or may not have allowed them to die at the end of Mass Effect 1. If they didn't die then they somehow remain as dumb as ever (and continue to believe that Reapers don't exist), and if they did die then they are immediately replaced by a new council that is equally thick.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Geth are a sentient race of robots who rebelled against their Quarian builders. Tali is a Quarian, and the Geth look like robotic versions of them.

In the last game, the main villain Saren used an army of Geth to summon a Reaper, a starship sized alien robot to attack the galaxy. You destroy Sovereign and save the galaxy, but you know more reapers are coming.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Commander Shepard punches some people in the face, he kills a lot more people, he doesn't like disingenuous assertions.

Geth are robot people who like to Hive Mind it up. They do not comprehend the organic fascination of self-poisoning, auditory damage and sexually transmitted disease.

Quarian's made the geth. They wear fancy suits. They have no immune system or a very weak one.

Krogan are pretty much Dinosaur's that can talk.

Turian's are like Elites from Halo Universe pretty much.

The Dialog and Story are pretty good.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Geth are a synthetic species. They operate on a "hive mind" sort of system. Smarter in groups, dumber alone. They were created as labor for the Quarians (the ones in those special suits), and rebelled, forcing the Quarians into a migrant society.

Did I get that right, Escapist?
Pretty much. More details are given later in Mass Effect 2 that complicates things a bit, but he can find that out for himself.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
I'll just explain every BioWare game:

1. Nice choice, Neutral choice, jerk choice.
2. Companion dies
3. Have sex

So deep...

Nescabarr

Aug 6, 2011
Didn't BioWare make the Fable series? I just noticed the scar healing in Mass Effect has some similarities to the appearance of your character in Fable, based on your actions.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Which Geth?

Geth are programs that become more effective when they can communicate with more geth programs. They kicked the Quarians off of their homeworld about 300 years before the First Contact War. Recently, a majority of Geth programs and mobile platforms have schism-ed from the primary Geth "Prime Directive" line of thought due to Reaper influence. According to captured Geth that don't align with the Reapers, They have rebuilt the Quarian homeworld and wish to return it to them so that they can continue their primary project: To build a massive server hub where all Geth programs can communicate and convene. The 'enemy' Geth are the ones who align with the Reapers. They worship them as the peak of Synthetic Sentience.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Play the first one and read the codex. It's well worth your time. If you had to get it on PS3, then there should be a comic book that runs you through the cliff notes of the first game, which may be available on 360 by now anyways.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Nescabarr said:
Didn't BioWare make the Fable series? I just noticed the scar healing in Mass Effect has some similarities to the appearance of your character in Fable, based on your actions.
There's a huge bioware logo when you start the game. Are you trolling sir?

Kjakings

Nov 18, 2009
Don't whinge about not being able to understand the sequel to a game without playing the original.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Nescabarr said:
No, BioWare didn't make the Fable series, they just borrowed the mechanic. Lionhead studios are the developers of Fable. I'm surprised you didn't know, I thought it was common knowledge

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I have not played Mass Effect, but here's what I can harvest.

You play Commander Shepard. He/She's a total badass who saved the Citadel in the last game. But now, some bad alien shit is about to go down. So you gotta go deal with it.

The Geth are robots. LIke, I,Robot Robots.

Nescabarr

Aug 6, 2011
I didn't say I did not understand it, I said that I hadn't played it, so can someone tell me what happened before.

Nescabarr

Aug 6, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Nescabarr said:
There's a huge bioware logo when you start the game. Are you trolling sir?
No, I just hadn't played Fable II for quite a while, and had forgotten who made it.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I thought they brought out that comic book style thing to bring everyone up to speed for ME2 for all platforms? If so, that should fill in a lot of details. Also, the in-game codex is a moderately sized libary.

Here we go, just found it: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Mass-Effect-2-Genesis/e3ba648a-2828-4009-8f21-ba3fe6ca1dd1

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
You should really play the first game, or read a summary of the plot (or the Mass Effect Genesis comic). Diving into the second game in a heavily story-oriented series is bound to leave you disoriented.