Someone Please Kill Noober. Gifting Baldur's Gate: EE on Steam. [Closed]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Though I beat the original with expansions, I plan on getting this remake not only to re-experience the awesomeness of the Realms, but to also check out all the improvements/ upgrades. Torment is the only 3rd person RPG to beat out the fun I had within Baldur's Gate!

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
New Troll said:
Though I beat the original with expansions, I plan on getting this remake not only to re-experience the awesomeness of the Realms, but to also check out all the improvements/ upgrades. Torment is the only 3rd person RPG to beat out the fun I had within Baldur's Gate!
I'm pretty sure this version includes Tales of the Sword Coast or w/e the addon was called. I never played that one. Totally agree that Torment is legit as fuck. If they sold that on Steam, I'd gift a copy of that every time I did this give away stuff. People should be forced to play that, and read it's amazing writing.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
I'm interested. Never played any Baldur's Gate, and don't know a thing about them other than the amount of praise they get. The first Bioware RPG I played was Dragon Age Origins, which I loved. After I finished Dragone Age Origins, I started exploring some of Bioware's more recent endeavors and I became rather...underwhelmed. If this an example of what Bioware was like back in their glory days AND if this game was the stepping stone to Dragon Age, one of my favorite RPGs, then yeah I'm very curious. Plus I find that older RPGs have a certain amount of charm to them. Reading text never really bothered me.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Oh man, I love me some BG and some EE and some steam, so I'm in.

Also, I have a star control II avatar. Woo!

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I think your being quite unfair on the PS2 games. Have you even played them or are you just mindlessly bashing them? After what you said I would seriously like you to discuss what faults you had with them and what exactly made them so bad.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
thiosk said:

Spathi and Pkunk are my favorites. I should download that game..

Oh, and I just randomly got a copy of Sonic CD to give away, too. Should I just do it here in this thread as a 2nd prize, or do it in a couple days as it's own thing? Someone pick one.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Louie Clark said:
thiosk said:

Spathi and Pkunk are my favorites. I should download that game..

Oh, and I just randomly got a copy of Sonic CD to give away, too. Should I just do it here in this thread as a 2nd prize, or do it in a couple days as it's own thing? Someone pick one.
Oh! I think the HD remake has been released. Njoy!

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I'm a fan of the genre but I never got around to play this. Count me in.

Gift this to me and I'll enjoy it so much, I might actually pull a Korean-72-hour-marathon-suicide on it. Ok; maybe that's over the top. But yeah.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Akratus said:
Well, I heard the steam version has some issues. It's apparantly not using the very latest bioware and/or fan additions which fixes some or maybe a lot of things. And it doesn't have all of the extra content . . ? I'm not entirely sure.
I'm not sure, but I'm not worried that they won't be updating it or anything if that is the case. I play the Beamdog version, and it crashes to desktop a lot more than it should.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Louie Clark said:
BG2 is a better game, yes. It's much larger, has better character interactions, and lots more. But the story with these games is such that releasing them in order is the right move in my opinion. It's a real epic, and you can take your character from the start of the first game, to the end of the add-on for part 2. This is what I was talking about when I said the console ones weren't part of the series.

Baldur's Gate takes place towards the end of the Time of Troubles, which was a huge event in Forgotten Realms. If anyone is curious, here's the wikipedia article. There aren't really spoilers for the game there, as that is for the whole event. It was the event that explained the changes from First Edition to Second Edition rules for AD&D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_(Forgotten_Realms)
ahh, right, thanks for clearing that up for me, got to say tho, the console ones were still pretty fun haha

also thanks for the link, it may has been written in swahili for all the sense it made to me, but thanks anyway :)

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I didn't play much games at all when I was young, but I'm a huge 2nd edition fan so I was really considering picking this one up anyway.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
ramboondiea said:
Louie Clark said:
ahh, right, thanks for clearing that up for me, got to say tho, the console ones were still pretty fun haha

also thanks for the link, it may has been written in swahili for all the sense it made to me, but thanks anyway :)
I love the Time of Troubles. There's a 5 novel series about it that's pretty rad as well.

I enjoyed the console ones, too, I just felt misled by the name they put on it. My calling them shit at the start of the thread was more disappointment over that fact than hate of the game.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'd buy it, but I just don't think that style of game is for me. I just find their gameplay dull, which to me feels like "click on enemy, then go get beer while hoping I specced my character right." Those old CRPGs seem more like puzzle games than RPGs to me, granted puzzles that involve impalment and immolation. I perfer more direct control over my character, with gameplay that has more focus on what you do during the fight rather than what you bring into it.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Louie Clark said:
I love the Time of Troubles. There's a 5 novel series about it that's pretty rad as well.

I enjoyed the console ones, too, I just felt misled by the name they put on it. My calling them shit at the start of the thread was more disappointment over that fact than hate of the game.
you would think with all the weird names and strange things, they would have had a slightly better name then times of troubles, a little too on the nose for a fantasy setting ha.

and its understandable that you where disapointed, people like series they way they are, cant say im all against companies trying different things and off-shots, different strokes and all that

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
archvile93 said:
I'd buy it, but I just don't think that style of game is for me. I just find their gameplay dull, which to me feels like "click on enemy, then go get beer while hoping I specced my character right." I perfer more direct control over my character, with gameplay that has more focus on what you do during the fight rather than what you bring into it.
Unless you're playing with only one or two characters you'll have enough to do during battles. Maybe not in the first two or so hours of BG1, true, but once you level a bit (no matter what you spec) your gonna be doing quite a bit during each fight.

OT: Already pre-ordered it from BeamDog, so I have no use for it on steam. Good on you for making this giveaway though!