Someone(s) have sent out pro-worker messages to unsecured receipt printers connected to the internet

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yes, it could be definitely be worded better,
This is the important part because yes, no memeing, it's about fixing old bridges which is generally a good thing. But it's a bad gaff to come from an administration that has done it's best to kill people to keep the economy going. Kinda like taking restrictions off bridges and shrugging if they collapse.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Perhaps pertinent: ThedaCare, a Wisconsin health care provider, filed an injuction to prevent seven of its eleven-person radiology and cardiovascular team from leaving their jobs to work for competitor Ascension, seeking to force them to remain at their jobs for ninety days so that ThedaCare could find replacement workers.

"We are essentially asking the Court to grant the injunction to maintain the status quo until ThedaCare can hire replacement staff for this vital department in order to protect access to the critical care services supported by the team, which are considered community assets."
Wisconsin is an "at-will" state, which means that employers can fire employees at any time for any (non-federally-protected) reason, and employees may quit at any time for any reason, so long as there is no contractual obligation. Reportedly, the seven ThedaCare employees were not under any sort of contract or "non-compete" clause. ThedaCare claims that Ascension "poached" its employees; Ascension counters that it simply offered better pay and benefits and that ThedaCare was given an opportunity to provide a counter-offer but did not do so. Ascension also claims that the employees gave five weeks' notice to ThedaCare.

A judge initially granted the injunction, but then subsequently voided it, leaving the employees free to work at Ascension.

"Your failure to prepare is not my personal emergency," says the opening line from Ascension's counter-suit.

Now imagine if the company you worked for could by force of law prevent you for quitting for any reason simply because your leaving would "disrupt the status quo". Lemme hear from all the "if you don't like your job, quit and find a better one" corporate shill-bots who'll try to defend ThedaCare on this one.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Perhaps pertinent: ThedaCare, a Wisconsin health care provider, filed an injuction to prevent seven of its eleven-person radiology and cardiovascular team from leaving their jobs to work for competitor Ascension, seeking to force them to remain at their jobs for ninety days so that ThedaCare could find replacement workers.

Wisconsin is an "at-will" state, which means that employers can fire employees at any time for any (non-federally-protected) reason, and employees may quit at any time for any reason, so long as there is no contractual obligation. Reportedly, the seven ThedaCare employees were not under any sort of contract or "non-compete" clause. ThedaCare claims that Ascension "poached" its employees; Ascension counters that it simply offered better pay and benefits and that ThedaCare was given an opportunity to provide a counter-offer but did not do so. Ascension also claims that the employees gave five weeks' notice to ThedaCare.

A judge initially granted the injunction, but then subsequently voided it, leaving the employees free to work at Ascension.

"Your failure to prepare is not my personal emergency," says the opening line from Ascension's counter-suit.

Now imagine if the company you worked for could by force of law prevent you for quitting for any reason simply because your leaving would "disrupt the status quo". Lemme hear from all the "if you don't like your job, quit and find a better one" corporate shill-bots who'll try to defend ThedaCare on this one.
What really made no sense to me (maybe you or someone else has seen something was the reasoning the judge granted it in the first place ("It would have too great a detrimental effect to the care of the patients of the hospital losing all those employees") but...

The order was that the employees who left couldn't start their new jobs. It said absolutely nothing about those employees having to return to their old job (and presumably it never would as they were clearly just trying to force them back to their old jobs without ACTUALLY forcing them back to their old jobs). So the old hospital would STILL be in the same bind regardless of what happened to the new employees.

I'm glad to see those employees won their...lawsuit or whatever you'd call this thing. I had seen the story but not the update that they won.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
What really made no sense to me (maybe you or someone else has seen something was the reasoning the judge granted it in the first place ("It would have too great a detrimental effect to the care of the patients of the hospital losing all those employees") but...

The order was that the employees who left couldn't start their new jobs. It said absolutely nothing about those employees having to return to their old job (and presumably it never would as they were clearly just trying to force them back to their old jobs without ACTUALLY forcing them back to their old jobs). So the old hospital would STILL be in the same bind regardless of what happened to the new employees.

I'm glad to see those employees won their...lawsuit or whatever you'd call this thing. I had seen the story but not the update that they won.
I think even the judge realized ordering employees (who are not parties of the lawsuit) to be forced to return to work would be entirely undefendable under law. The current order technically is even if it's morally and practically fucked.

note: not a lawyer, obviously

edit: Injunction has been lifted.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Eh, yeah, that's the other explanation for the quote i.e. the wealthy being so ignorant of the living situation of the people that it simply doesn't occur to them that if they can't afford bread, then brioche (then an expensive luxury food) is right out. Hence the similarity to modern day wealthy being so out of touch they think people earn way more than they actually do. Or those stupid opinion pieces you get once in a while telling manual laborers that they should "just learn to code" if they find themselves out of a job. Or some dimwit politician thinking a 21yo just starting his first job would only pay 12 bucks a year on insurance.

Also, found an earlier example. A 7th century Chinese emperor, upon being told his people were starving because cuz of failed rice harvests, asked "Why don't they eat meat porridge?". Not quite ancient times yet, but getting there.
There's reasons to believe it was said by someone else, or by someone in her entourage, but it probably got attributed to her because she was deeply unpopular due to a (deserved) reputation fro frivolousness and extravagance. Or maybe revolutionary writer just made it up.
"If you want to afford to buy a home stop complaining about the market while you eat smashed avocado on toast at a cafe."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"If you want to afford to buy a home stop complaining about the market while you eat smashed avocado on toast at a cafe."
Someone really doubled down on that for a bit afterwards, lots of adds telling people to stop eating smashed avocado and invest.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Someone really doubled down on that for a bit afterwards, lots of adds telling people to stop eating smashed avocado and invest.
My Girlfriend's family are insufferable for this kind of thing. They can't wrap their heads around the fact that I'm in my 30's and don't own a house. Like her dad bought the house 20 years ago for 70K and it's worth 750K today. Her sister always reminds us that she bought her house when she was our age and I constantly remind her that she got a mortgage when the banks were handing them out like samples and the economy collapsed. Her dad also grew up in social housing. The Irish have a very particular way of forgetting the assistance programmes that existed for them and resenting people who expect the same.

Hell even now student's are being called "entitled" because they're complaining about the cost of college. I was in university in 2008 and paid no fees, got a grant of 6000 a year and my rent was 320 a month. I was entitled to the highest level of assistance but everyone I knew got at least 2000 a year and their fees paid. Now fees are 3-4k a year and purpose built student accommodations usually run you about 1k a month and the grant schemes have been all but gutted.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Stop consuming and buy yourself a share of the profits generated by labor! Whose labor? Nevermind that.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
These are also the kind of dipshits that tell people to move to where there is affordable housing... which almost invariably are wayyyyy the fuck out in the sticks and have fuck all jobs available.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
These are also the kind of dipshits that tell people to move to where there is affordable housing... which almost invariably are wayyyyy the fuck out in the sticks and have fuck all jobs available.
Hey, remember when Barnaby Joyce tried to move a government department to Armidale and it was such a disaster the staff were using Maccas wifi to do their jobs remotely?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Hey, remember when Barnaby Joyce tried to move a government department to Armidale and it was such a disaster the staff were using Maccas wifi to do their jobs remotely?
Ah, such a wonderful example of the clusterfucks of corruption that the Nationals bring. That whole period was epic for unearthing Barnaby's trail of corruption, arrogance and stupidity.