Someone tells you they're an alien

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I have just started watching the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and at the end of the second episode someone just straight up says I'm an alien.
This made me think, how I would react to such an, lets say unusual, situation.

I think I would just say "cool, have fun with that" because that's how I react to everything and if they are just delusional or saying it for whatever reason or hell, they really are an alien, I don't care. If they're a cool person I'll still hang out with them, I've got more important shit to think about.

This isn't the normal response to that sort of thing, most people would laugh or whatever. I want to know how you would react

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I would bone that shit good then Facebook it, then it's recorded in history I'm the first xenosexual or whatever. My claim to the Guinness Book of Records.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DrRockor said:
I want to know how you would react.
I would explore why he thinks this information is something I need to know (is he telling me to make me his emissary? Is he warning me there's an invasion coming and I should keep my head down? Does he just feel lonely and want to share his secret?), and proceed from there.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I'd probably take it in my stride. I tend to do that with unexpected announcements. Except pregnancies, that is.

I guess first I'd determine whether it was true or not, then if it was true, proceed to ask a lot of questions.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I probably do the whole "Oh Really?" just or reaction, that is unless he or she shown me proper evidence that he/ she is really an alien. Even then I would still try to find the fakeness in it thinking I'm in some prank show.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
DrRockor said:
if they really are an alien, I don't care. If they're a cool person I'll still hang out with them, I've got more important shit to think about.
You've got more important things to think about than the possibility to overturn practically all of human knowledge?
Assuming they really can prove they're an alien, what you have on your hands is the major paradigm shift in human history: Contact with intelligent life outside of ourselves.
And you choose to ignore this? You choose to ignore knowledge that could help millions of people? Knowledge that could teach us the secrets of space travel? Knowledge of the very foundations of the universe?

Literally every single thing that goes on in your life - your petty love problems and grievances, your interests and happiness - is like a wax candle compared to the sun that is the vast potential the existence of such aliens presents, and you've got "more important shit to think about"?
No. You don't.
You're not important. Literally every thought that runs through your head over the course of you life, accumulated, won't even come close to registering on a scale of importance when compared to intelligent extraterrestrial life.

OT: What would I do if someone said they were an alien? Depending on the context, I'd say something along the lines of "Oh really now? Okay, prove it".
If they can't prove it: Whatever.
If they can: Fucking hell yes.

=y

May 11, 2012
My friend truly does believe he is an alien. Weird but I've rolled with it for years. No sense in losing a friend over one fantasy.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
I would want to dissect him/her. Not that it would tell me anything but just for kicks.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I?d ask them to prove it, and if they can, I ask them why they?re telling me, of all people, this information. If they give me a sufficient enough answer, then I?ll help them in whatever problem they have, as well as perhaps ask them what they think of our race, planet, and any answers to the universe if they have them.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
I'd give them the Vulcan salute because I'm cheesy like that. Then I'd faint when they showed me they were telling the truth, unless it was this one guy I know, then I wouldn't be in the slightest bit shocked or surprised.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I nod, smile, and prepare to kill them in case they try to anally probe me.

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
I ask one thing, "What kind of alien?"
Simple question, I mean if they're the illegal kind then we're not looking at much special here.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I would be like, "Your now my best friend EVER!" and swear to keep the secret as long as he gives me a ride on his/her/it's? spaceship and try to hit it off with a relationship so I could ride on the spaceship more. I would pretty much do anything to explore space.

What? most people around here already know I'm weird.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I'd like, learn loads about them and befriend them and I'd honestly have a huge interest in having sex with them. I find aliens sexy. Most of them anyway. I dunno. It's weird. But they're cool too. I'd love having an alien friend/sex buddy. Especially if he looked like Thane Krios.

/drool

Dear lord I'm weirder than I thought.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I'd deport them I guess ._.

If we're talking about an E.T here then I would ask it how it looks human because we are probably in public. If we weren't in public, I'd ask why he broke into my house to deliver this news.