Someone Wants To Buy Kingdoms of Amalur

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I too hope that someone buys it and makes Amalur 2.

It wasn't a great game, but it was a good game. And, to its credit, I actually finished Amalur - I never did finish Skyrim (I wandered off into side-quests never to be heard from again).

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
As long as the ego of this developer is reigned in, I'm all up for a BETTER Amalur game.

And more Dead Kel-esque housing please, that is the best bit of the game for me!

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
It would be interesting if this leads to a new single-player sequel to Amalur. If the company had not gone bankrupt, we'd probably have less chance of seeing that. The game was just supposed to be a way to keep the studio going until they could release the product they really cared about: an Amalur MMO. An Amalur MMO sounds awful to me, so maybe it will work out better this way. A different team (and, please, a different writer) could really polish the game into a really good sequel.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I like KoA. Sure it wasn't the greatest game of all time, but it was fun and the combat was fresh and fun. Not to mention the fact that you could change your class whenever you wanted was great, something more RPGs need to do. Sure there were issues with it, a bland story, generic world etc, but it had potential. The sequel could have improved on it. A bit better combat, better graphics, better story, better use of the lore, better side quests. I mean how many first IPs from new studios are the best they can be. Its just a shame that they tried to the MMO first, there is such a thing as biting off more than you can show.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I bought this game new after playing the demo, and I ended up regretting it. I had fun with it at first but eventually it became a grind to just finish the whole thing. I ran into a glitch during a story mission (that would be really easy for anybody to stumble into) and I ended up quitting since the issue will never be patched. I could have started a new game - you can avoid the glitch if you know not to kill certain enemies - but the game just wasn't good enough. The story and world were bland and generic. I guess a sequel by another studio could have potential though.

Apr 5, 2008
If someone wants to waste their money on a worthless IP, that's their loss. A tragic, boring, completely uninspired and sub-par game that not only does nothing interesting, even the boring, shitty, grindy bits it borrows from elsewhere, it doesn't do well. Nothing to recommend this. Boring story, boring combat, boring gameplay, boring graphics, boring voice acting, boring world, characters, level design and the rest. Waste of the 6 hours I gave it.

If they want to make money from an old IP, buy the rights for Alpha Protocol and make a sequel, properly. Or Baldur's Gate III. Or KotOR III.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The death of a studio is usually not the death of the IPs. Unless the reason the studio died was because their IPs sucked. Then it's good to let die.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I found KoA to be fairly mediocre. I'd be willing to give it another chance via a sequel but if it were to die off, I wouldn't be upset. The game was very much a single player MMORPG.....which is a slightly odd concept. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the IP.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
KingsGambit said:
If they want to make money from an old IP, buy the rights for Alpha Protocol and make a sequel, properly. Or Baldur's Gate III. Or KotOR III.
Except, you know, those IPs are held by companies that still exist.

The reason this is news is because 38 Studios is no more. Therefore, their IPs are for sale. If someone doesn't buy it, it just goes away.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
I WANT to like Amalur. I really, really do. But every damn time I try it I drop it before I get out of the first dungeon because there's something about it that just legitimately pisses me off.
The nauseating FOV? That's why I couldn't play it, personally. I actually liked the mechanics, art style, etc, but if the FOV wasn't making me sick, which is the only FOV to manage that, it felt way more restrictive than even tunnel vision shooters.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
They borrowed 75 million sold 1.3 million copies of a 60 dollar game in the first 90 days (78 million from initial purchases in the first 90 days alone not to mention the 10 dollar DLC) and they are 130 million dollars in debt. WHAT THE FUCK?!