Something about Hatred that I really like and want in more games...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I watched a few Lets Plays of it out of curosity, It kinda reminded me in gameplay of the old Max Payne games on the Gameboy Advance, but without any kind of redeeming bullet time gimmick.

Anyway, I liked the little town and the fact you can hijack cars, and then along with the lets player I found out you could crash the cars into the buildings, and the buildings get destroyed.

This is something I continue to want in Grand Theft Auto. And not like the half assed, point a laser at the thing and it blows up and gets replaced with a destroyed building like in Mercernaries or Destroy All Humans. I wanna launch an RPG at a house and see it only partially explode.

I also really like that it seems like you can go into nearly any building, which I think is a must for any open world game at this point. I'd rather GTAV's map be just the size of the city if it meant it was possible to enter any buidling with/out loading times. Dead Rising 3 did this pretty well, as did Assassin's creed unity, if only pained by the fact all the buildings where very generic.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
In the latest addition to the Earth Defense Force series it's entirely possible to blow out holes in the buildings which causes the physical cardboard of the building to scatter over the street before the entire thing crumbles to save processing power.

And that too is one of my favorite things in gaming. Seeing all these previously static buildings wiped away leaving a mostly flattened battlefield at the end of a stage leaves me with great feeling. So I'd love it if more games had destruction on that level. So long as the game doesn't start to slow down as more destruction occurs. (Which EDF 2025 is very likely to do when you start carpet bombing things. GOSH DANGED RAVEGERS!)

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
You might want to check out Red Faction: Guerilla. All buildings on that are completely destroyable, and in such a way that you can knock out various chunks of your own choice, like you ask. Of course, they achieve this because the game is set on a colony on Mars, which is much less densely populated than your typical sandbox city, with typically smaller buildings, so it might not scratch the itch of a fully destructable GTA city. But it could be up your alley.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Bobic said:
You might want to check out Red Faction: Guerilla. All buildings on that are completely destroyable, and in such a way that you can knock out various chunks of your own choice, like you ask. Of course, they achieve this because the game is set on a colony on Mars, which is much less densely populated than your typical sandbox city, with typically smaller buildings, so it might not scratch the itch of a fully destructable GTA city. But it could be up your alley.
This. Red Faction Guerilla is a super fun game and runs quite well on most moderns computer since it came out in 2008 for the 360. And the destruction tech is jaw-dropping.

God, I really want another Red Faction Guerrilla type game, one that is back in a proper open-world, unlike that shitty follow-up Armageddon...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
We need next gen Geo-mod technology. More Red Faction: Guerilla sandbox please. Not the linear sequel. I loved strategising how to tear down a building with limited supplies. And Mechs, just galloping through a building punching wildly felt so very cathartic.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Is it the child murder?

Oh wait, no. It's the procedural destruction. That's uh...that's what I was thinking too. When I clicked on the thread. Totes.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
BloatedGuppy said:
Is it the child murder?

Oh wait, no. It's the procedural destruction. That's uh...that's what I was thinking too. When I clicked on the thread. Totes.
I've never wanted to kill kids before Little Lamplight. Now I roll my eyes when I can't find a child murder mod in games.