Something I Don't Understand About These Types of Gamers.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
*Rant Incoming; Disclaimer: This is my opinion (Something I bring up frequently in this rant) and you do not have to agree with it. At least hear me out.

Can someone please explain the following statement to me: "I'm not going to buy any more games from *Insert Developer Here* because they did something I didn't like!" Good for you. You have an opinion. Besides, you may want to re-word that, because from my own personal experience, you're probably not going to live up to that anyway.

My experience is that with Battlefield 3. For a while, people were all worried about needing to have Origin installed on their computer, that it would make it run slower. As someone who was skeptical about getting Battlefield 3 in the first place because of this, let me tell you that Origin (And BattleLog) do/does not slow down your computer. Even then, if you don't appreciate EA's business practices, let me again remind you that it is your opinion.

Just because you dislike the developer doesn't mean you can't like the game! I still think what EA did was stupid and childish, but I got over it to play a game; almost all of you on this site play games. If you don't, you at least follow the news about games.

Another example is that of From Dust and Ubisoft. I saw multiple people say they were going to stop buying games from Ubisoft. Really? So you're not going to buy Assassin's Creed, Rayman, Splinter Cell, etc.? Besides, you're one person out of tens of millions! They see their figures in the hundred thousands and millions!

*End Rant* So anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree with this? I've only observed this and wanted to vent out some of these pent-up frustrations.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
That kind of thinking isn't exclusive to irate gamers.

Boycotting only works when a significant amount of people choose to deliberately no do something. Complaining that there is some DRM in a game you might legally purchase is frankly pointless. In those instances, publishers will not care if they lose a few hundred customers this way. They'll gain tens of thousands more with every new IP or sequel.

I never really got the logic either. It's nice to have principles but there's no need to shout about them on the interenet to a crowd of people who won't care.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
i don't know, it makes sense to me. have you ever gotten upset with someone and said something you didn't mean? it's just gamers expressing themselves.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Because companies that burn people don't deserve my business. If someone asks me about it, I will let them know that I won't bank at a certain bank because of how I was treated but shouting it on the internet never seemed useful. Maybe they think that their horror story is what is going to be the one to change people's mind?

Some people feel that their burn is bad enough that they won't support the company again, no matter how good of a product they pump out. I am having troubles finding a bank to refinance my student loans because this bank I won't go to is the only one I can find with decent rates. Even then, unless I'm absolutely desperate, I won't go there.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Sooo.... In other words you're saying that since in the long run me boycotting a company won't hurt them,I shouldn't even try? The reason people boycott even though they know they're in the minority is because they have principles that they won't compromise just because they won't get to play with that companies newest shiny.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
that attitude, of "I won't buy it because I disagree with their practices" is EXACTLY the right thing to do if you do disagree with them.

Does it annoy you? Who cares? There's no referendum on annoyance. The only tool consumers have in a capitalist society is their wallet. You vote by spending money. As long as you don't pirate it, and stand by your boycott, seriously, more power to you, even if it's for a retarded reason.

If people wanted to boycott Skyrim because Bethesda's Legal Woes lately, it wouldn't make me want to play the game any less, and if people don't want to buy Battlefield 3 because of EA's practices, then it shouldn't bother you (although, if they then go onto buy MW3 that's just silly - Activision is just as bad). They'll miss out on great games. That's their problem. Not yours.

And if you don't think boycotts work, it's only because people will SAY a lot of things that they won't DO. They'll buy it anyway, they'll play it and support it by using the multiplayer. But just because people are weak doesn't mean the idea of a principle based boycott is fundamentally flawed.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Personally i examine every game individually before deciding anything. A developer with a good streak might get me more interested in new products, but i'm not going to ignore a developer wholly just because they might've grown a bit stale because they could suddenly pop out something i think looks really interesting.

Except Naughty Dog. They're win streak gods >_>

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
I've felt like that a few times. For the most part it's about the feeling that a studio that commites a horrible design mishap may do it again in their next game.

For particularly bad experiences, the benefit of the doubt is gone. I'm not willing to pay for the next game to figure if they learned the lesson last time around.

Case in point: Blinx made me swear off Artoon for good. And for the record, I stuck to my decision.

Dec 14, 2009
I will buy a game if I think that it deserves buying.

I don't give a shit who developed it.

I judge games, not the people who make them.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I buy games if they're good. I admire Valve's practices, but I don't buy their games because they aren't really my thing. It's the same in reverse - I think EA are a bunch of knobheads, but that didn't stop me buying Crysis when it came out on console.

Bloodastral

Sep 3, 2010
I gave up buying anything Codemasters touches after they made me change my characters name in the RP server of Lord of the Rings.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I buy games based on quality, not the company. However if a company starts making all their games with similar bugs and other shit, I will avoid titles from them simply because I'm smart enough to at least spot a business pattern.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
What I didn't get was when people were raging at Bethesda when their parent company was sueing Mojang.
Boycotting a game because of something the company does, or the parent company does, or another branch of the company/etc., is stupid.
I will play the shit out of Diablo 3 when it comes out, even though I used to play WoW and hate it.
I play the hell out of MW2 and will max out MW3 even though I don't really like Activision, and Black Ops was really terrible.
A game is a game to me, and I will play it based on it's merits, not the merits of the CEO who likes to rape children. He didn't make the game.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Here's a great gaming example since my other example is non-gaming:

Words with Friends. Huge iOS hit on the mobile devices and a large number of my friends own this free game. I, however, refuse to download it. Want to know why? Sure you do!

The requirements for the game are as such:

Phone Calls (Reads phone state and identity)
Your Personal Information (your personal data on the phone)

I'm not one who thinks the iOS developer is going to hop into your phone and sell all your friends information, so that's no big deal to me...except it was developed by Zynga.

As a gamer, I'm aware of all the questionable activities that this particular developer has gotten into. It's a free game (and was a freaking blast) but the developer alone has made me back the hell off this game.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I will buy a game if I think that it deserves buying.

I don't give a shit who developed it.

I judge games, not the people who make them.
Same here. I do not care where the game comes from if i like it i will buy it.
The only publisher i hardly have games from is Rockstar games (only bought manhunt 2 from all the games the made and even do not really like that one).

Also most of the people that cry they are gonna boycot some studio (act like dragon age 2 killed their family and dog, outrage by the so-called first day DLC with portal 2 .. etc) but are in front of the line when mass effect 3 or KotoR will be released. Somehow it is really fashionable to throw around the words boycot when a game doesn't meet your own little private fantasy , misunderstood studio actions or just for whatever reason.

Like the recent Skyrim boycot that was being announce a while ago. Seems a trend to yell a boycot to the more popular games coming out for whatever reason people can think of(activision is greedy, EA is the devil , Ubisoft uses DRM hell).

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I see where you're coming from, but you're insulting people because
meepop said:
Good for you. You have an opinion.
While this whole rant is
meepop said:
This is my opinion (Something I bring up frequently in this rant) and you do not have to agree with it. At least hear me out.
You don't have to agree with their opinion, just respect that it's their opinion.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I still haven't purchased Battlefield 3 or anything on Origins despite originally looking forward to BF3. I intend to stick by that decision. I know what you mean though that a lot of people say they will do something and then won't.
Nothing wrong with people refusing to buy a game because of not liking something a developer does though. That is really your only way to show you disapprove of a developers tactics, don't give them your money.