Something Important Happens on 11/11/11 (Not Another Skyrim Thread)

PocketMon

Mar 19, 2009
I've got a few friends in service right now, and they both mention the folks in the military are big nerds. From Bronies to /v/idya. Anyway you are some what on the mark. A friend of mine who is in the Rangers is excited for Skyrim. May also be a little obnoxious and play "America, Fuck Yeah."

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Tharwen said:
DracoSuave said:
Tharwen said:
Sparrow said:
I'll damn well make sure my trap will be shut and that my chest will proudly display my poppy.

Vegosiux said:
My opinion is that if we have to keep reminding ourselves of our past mistakes, then we have learned nothing from them.
It's not a mistake. We're honouring those who died protecting our people and our values. It's the opposite of a mistake.
So the people they were fighting were mistaken instead?
I was talking specifically about the enemy soldiers.
And I wasn't?

Aerduin

Sep 19, 2010
Northern Ireland here, We DO remember them. Politics aside, war is horrendous too many good people gone too soon.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
also homestuck starts updating again!

but in seriousness, respecting veterans/remembering is important.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Yes I know, I'm awaiting Skyrim as eagerly as the next chap, but the last thing this forum needs is another Skyrim thread.
Anyway, moving on.
This Friday in the UK, at 11.00am, a two minutes silence will be observed for people to remember the dead and wounded, not just of the two World Wars, but also of those wars before and since.
Also, many people will be wearing poppies, as a symbol of this remembrance.
So my fellow Escapists, do they also do this where you are from, and if not, will you now be doing it?
Canada here and 11/11/11 never was organized into my brain as Skyrim over Remembrance day. A very important day to me as A Canadian and I honor the dead by wearing a poppy and playing tabs at my town's Remembrance day ceremony at exactly 11:00 AM.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Yeah I'll be doing it in school, I've been doing presentations at the year assemblies at my school all week telling kids which remembrance day was still relevant to them, would be a bit hypocritical if I didn't do it!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Veteran's Day, we here in the states will call it. I'll be eating a hamburger for it, as my dedication.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
In my town in Canada, we usually have a few speeches at our memorial about the dead.

That, and at the legion I help out with the annual veterans diner.

Aside from those two things, life goes on as usual... too bad too, the people who died in WW2 diverse more than just a paltry 2 minutes that half my class chats through...

dreddfan

Oct 21, 2010
Well, it will be interesting to see how many Muslims will be burning poppies this year.

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
Well, being part English, you've now put the idea to wear a poppy, thanks.

Erm, well, I'll be in school, yeah. Let's a lot of movies are coming out, nothing worth noting though. Eh... Let's see... Nothing, really.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, remembrance day is kind of a big deal in Canada. Unfortunately I feel like most people don't really understand what they're supposed to be "remembering". Standing in silence means nothing when you have no idea of what actually happened in the wars that the day is in honour of. To me it really feels like patriotism being shoved down the throats of the citizens without a real effort to educate them on the atrocities of all nations involved in war. I suppose that would be bad for the national image...

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Glad to see other people out there who actually remember what November 11'th actually is about. Here's my contribution to this thread.

On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a Shoppers Drug Mart store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store's PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the store's leadership role in adopting the Legion's "two minutes of silence" initiative. He felt that the store's contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven o'clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the "two minutes of silence" to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terry's anger towards the father for trying to engage the store's clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was later channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, "A Pittance of Time". Terry later recorded "A Pittance of Time" and included it on his full-length music CD, "The Power of the Dream".

Also, my favourite war poem.
The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

BumblebeeEU

Jun 23, 2011
Uk here as well and you can be damn sure I will be respecting the 2 minutes silence.

I am anti-war, anti-violence, pacifist, would piss myself in a fist fight kinda guy. That doesn't mean I don't have respect for those that laid down their lives in war. On both sides.

Anyone who doesn't observe it, just think about this. People die in everyday life for no reason. This can't be helped. People who die in wars have a reason to be putting their lives on the lines. Whether its their reason, or some governments reason, or as some people have said, business men in suits making up a reason for profit. It's still a noble sacrifice. A sacrifice worth remembering and worth respect. Even if you disagree with the politics, that not what remembrance day is about. Its not about the glory, its about horror. Its not about the victory, its about the loses. Its not about the politics or the grand schemes its about the individual men and women who fought for beliefs, whatever they may have been. Respect that, don't be a dick.

11/11/11 is important. It should always be important. Those with courage should be recognized as such. Or, well, thats just my 2 cents.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
BumblebeeEU said:
Anyone who doesn't observe it, just think about this. People die in everyday life for no reason. This can't be helped. People who die in wars have a reason to be putting their lives on the lines. Whether its their reason, or some governments reason, or as some people have said, business men in suits making up a reason for profit. It's still a noble sacrifice. A sacrifice worth remembering and worth respect. Even if you disagree with the politics, that not what remembrance day is about. Its not about the glory, its about horror. Its not about the victory, its about the loses. Its not about the politics or the grand schemes its about the individual men and women who fought for beliefs, whatever they may have been. Respect that, don't be a dick.
Well, while I see your point I have a major problem with this reasoning that "2 minutes of silence is the only proper way to observe it and show you respect it".

BumblebeeEU

Jun 23, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Well, while I see your point I have a major problem with this reasoning that "2 minutes of silence is the only proper way to observe it and show you respect it".
It's not the only way and it shouldn't be viewed as the only way. It is however a national and multi-country way of showing respect. It is a way of saying, hey, you know what, yeah, I am respectful of these peoples sacrifice. Hell, yeah, I agree with you, living is an awesome way to respect the dead, its one of the best ways to show gratitude for what they fought for. This isn't about the only way to respect the dead. This is a way that, as a country, we can say thanks. Even if the people we are thanking will never know, it is important it is said anyway lest we forget the inhumane nature of war.