Something Important Happens on 11/11/11 (Not Another Skyrim Thread)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Yeah we always have a two minutes silence in school. I will also be wearing a poppy that day. In related news, my Skyrim pre-order has just been dispatched! :D

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Forces family history, and I was all set for the infantry, but a quick government policy change meant I was dropped just before enlisting.

So yeah, silence it is.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
SinorKirby said:
I have never heard of this holiday before. Not once. I'm betting it's probably because I'm American and such.

I guess I will kindly excuse myself from the thread and let you British people talk it out.
You guys call it Veterans Day I believe.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Lest we forget. Finally,someone realizes that Bethesda chose a really wonked up date to release their game.

N'oubliez pas.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
In town I saw a fund raiser in a ghilleh suite covered in paper poppies pins. I thought it was rather epic.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I'll remember them when I am good and ready; I don't need to be told when to.

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
Most definatly. At work we observe the silence when the bbc announce it. I also watch the parade through my village.

When I was at school we visited the war graves in France. The German cemetary called Langemark shrouded with trees, with oak leaf wreaths and a statue representing "The slaughter of innocents". The Menin Gate listing 54000 unfound dead, where every single day they close off the road and play The Last Post. The landscape dotted with small clumps of trees, which are actually small gravesites. The small cemetary inscribed with "In life they held this trench, in death they hold it still". Tyne Cot cemetary where the graves face up the hill they died taking, where I looked back and saw the sun perfectly silhouetting the sword of sacrifice. I shall never forget that trip or what has been given that I may be here.

This is why I am saddened that people are selfish enough to not bother or care. Strange as usually I'm the cycnical and cold one.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
We have Independence Day.

11.11.1918 was the day Poland returned to the map of Europe after over a century.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I'll be doing my two minute silence. Will be in the middle of a lesson so I'd probably be silent anyway but hey, the thought is there.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Heh, I'll be taking more than two minutes' silence during school. We Americans already have a few days like that, the most recent being the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

11/11/11 is when Homestuck also ends its two weeks hiatus, which was AFTER ending a six week hiatus. So thank god we'll finally get regular updates again.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
solemnwar said:
Woo, Remembrance Day. We have that as well up in Canadaland. We get the entire day off.
Most people don't use that day off to remember, though...
Should be more specific, not everyone in Canada gets the day off ;) Us Onatrio folk still have to go to work/school, for the most part :(

Aug 1, 2010
I KNOW! I can't wait for the new Kinect Winter Stars!!!

Oh........ Was this thread about something else??

OT: From the US. Never heard of it, never done it, probably never will.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Tharwen said:
Sparrow said:
I'll damn well make sure my trap will be shut and that my chest will proudly display my poppy.

Vegosiux said:
My opinion is that if we have to keep reminding ourselves of our past mistakes, then we have learned nothing from them.
It's not a mistake. We're honouring those who died protecting our people and our values. It's the opposite of a mistake.
So the people they were fighting were mistaken instead?
I was talking specifically about the enemy soldiers.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
I usually think about the soldiers today, but no one in Brazil is aware of rememberance day. I used to live in Canada, so I know about it, and think it's very important.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I've been wearing my poppy today.
I studies the First World War as part of my English A level (WWI literature) and I found the whole thing very profound and very important that we don't forget about what happened.
It's not just part of British History but the history of the world, if we forget the sacrifice of people who die so others can be free their deaths loose meaning, and if we forget the tyranny that lead to those wars, well, it could all too easily happen again.

And now follows a selection of poems by Siegfried Sassoon, WWI poet and former 2nd lieuteant, that resonate very strongly with me at this time of year:

The General

"Good morning; good morning" the General said
when we met last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
and we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
"He's a cheery old card," grunted Harry to Jack
as they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Asking For It

Lord God whose mercy guards the virgin jungle;
Lord God whose fields with dragon's teeth are farmed;
Lord God of blockheads, bombing-planes, and bungle,
Assist us to be adequately armed.

Lord God of cruelties incomprehensible
And randomized damnations indefensible,
Perfect in us thy tyrannous technique
For torturing the innocent and weak.

God of the dear old Mastodon's morasses
Whose love pervaded pre-diluvial mud,
Grant us the power to prove, by poison gases,
The needlessness of shedding human blood.

And finally, a webpage with some actual audio clips from the great man himself reading two of his most famous poems, 'Dug-out' and 'Everyone sang'.
[link]http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoet.do?poetId=1561[/link]

(and if you really fancy a bit more Sassoon: [link]http://siegfried-sassoon.firstworldwarrelics.co.uk/html/poems.html[/link]).

RHadley

Dec 5, 2010
As a Brit, on Sunday, I will be at a memorial service at 11am, and probably having a 2 minutes silence in school on Friday.

Attending the services is a common thing amongst my family - especially as my dad is the bugler who plays the Last Post.

PocketMon

Mar 19, 2009
I noticed that Veteran's day the same day as Skyrim, so I have decided, I'm going to play Skyrim, for America! Anyway, my stupid-ness aside, in the USA, I think all we do is give people are/were service, some discounts.