Something to do other than games

Limiting Factor

Nov 18, 2009
I spend most of my free time playing games or visiting game related websites like this. Though I do sometimes get bored with games or feel I spend too much time in front of a screen, so I'd like some suggestions on things to do other than games; I'm fifthteen, I obviously don't like sport-related activities, I'm not creative and I already have a girlfriend though I rarely get a chance to see her.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Read.

It's an excellent way to improve your literary level, explore worlds you would never think of on your own, and kill time. You, yourself, might be inspired to write because of your reading, and your level of creativity might improve.

Also, since your fifteen and most likely on a fixed income, if you have any income at all, reading is a great choice because you can do it for free thanks to your local library.

If I might be so bold to blindly advise a book. I suggest the first book in "The Dresden Files" series, called "Storm Front".

I have yet to find someone that did not enjoy these books.

You can learn more about the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Make chainmail (the armor stuff, not the annoying spam mail). It's a very easy hobby to get into and try out, so you don't have to waste a lot of time and money if it turns out you don't like it. All you need are two pairs of pliers (chances are you have at least one, and if not you can find cheap pliers for just a few bucks at the hardware store), wire cutters (again, can be found for cheap, but make sure they can handle the wire you're using), wire (I started out with aluminum craft wire from Home Depot--it's soft so the cheap pliers and cutters will work. If you enjoy the hobby then you can buy the more expensive tools and work with harder metals like steel).

I don't consider myself a creative person either, but by following patterns other people have made I can create some really cool stuff in maille. Think your girlfriend would appreciate some jewelry made just for her, by you?

http://www.mailleartisans.org/

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
It's still strictly a game, but I will advocate very strongly for;

Magic: The Gathering!

It's not in front of a screen, it's a very social experience, it encourages creative ideas for decks, and it's a game with a lot of depth. The art is wonderful and the community is very friendly(with the standard few exceptions).

As long as you have friends that might wanna do it with you, it's a great way to spend your time and money. ALL YOUR MONEY.