Something to keep in mind for Christopher Nolan movies

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So uh, yeah it’s kinda sorta all become clear now. TL;DW: Nolan’s movies don’t have “audio issues”; nope, rest assured you’re hearing everything the way he intended, unless you’re in a crummy theater.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I think (and this is about the only time this sentence will ever come out of my keyboard) Bob Chipman put it best: "Christopher Nolan is Michael Bay for film nerds."

Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, because Christopher Nolan does have a rather artsy style that serves him well...but also not inaccurate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think (and this is about the only time this sentence will ever come out of my keyboard) Bob Chipman put it best: "Christopher Nolan is Michael Bay for film nerds."

Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, because Christopher Nolan does have a rather artsy style that serves him well...but also not inaccurate.
Double Toasted said a similar thing. Nolan is a smarter Bay; with that said, I don't care for the majority of either's filmography. The only thing I like from Nolan is the Dark Knight Trilogy and Tenet. Bay...the only thing I like from him are Bad Boys and The Rock. Bad Boys II I have mixed feelings on, and can't watch without hitting the skip scene button several times.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
TL;DW: Nolan’s movies don’t have “audio issues”; nope, rest assured you’re hearing everything the way he intended, unless you’re in a crummy theater.
Oh, i knew about that since TDKR - where Bane sounds like Sean Connery in a bucket on his head.
Doesn't make some of his choices less baffling.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Double Toasted said a similar thing. Nolan is a smarter Bay; with that said, I don't care for the majority of either's filmography. The only thing I like from Nolan is the Dark Knight Trilogy and Tenet. Bay...the only thing I like from him are Bad Boys and The Rock. Bad Boys II I have mixed feelings on, and can't watch without hitting the skip scene button several times.
The one film I can whole-heartedly recommend is The Prestige.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm sort of mostly on Nolan's side.

I think the basic rationale of conversation as background noise is valid, or the idea that the conversation is not essential to get the movie, and if he wants to be "elitist" and have his films seen in high-end theatres, well, that's okay too. I get why other people find it annoying, but art is full of decisions made by the creators that people don't necessarily like or get. I don't really think it makes Nolan or his critics right or wrong: everyone's entitled to their subjective opinion.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm sort of mostly on Nolan's side.

I think the basic rationale of conversation as background noise is valid, or the idea that the conversation is not essential to get the movie, and if he wants to be "elitist" and have his films seen in high-end theatres, well, that's okay too. I get why other people find it annoying, but art is full of decisions made by the creators that people don't necessarily like or get. I don't really think it makes Nolan or his critics right or wrong: everyone's entitled to their subjective opinion.
I do think it is different for Tenet. Tenet is difficult to understand to begin with but for Nolan to blur out exposition dialogue, dialogue that was vital to viewers just to understand what is going on, left the viewers like me confused. Or with nose bleeds.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I like most of his films that I've seen, and he is, in fact, probably the first time I've ever followed a director specifically, because I like their work. I haven't seen all of his films, because I've since lost that drive to...well see movies in general, and follow anyone, other than Denis Villeneuve at this point. But I really enjoyed Memento as a concept, Batman Begins is a really powerful movie for me, due to several scenes and how they were presented. Inception was really enjoyable, as I've always been fascinated with dreams, and dream reality/logic, and our interpretation of it. So that was crack for me personally. But, then things like Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, sort of tarnished my views of his talents. Bringing him back down into the "he's good, I might see something he does, if I find it interesting." Normally I would be really into Tenet, as a concept and stuff, but....eh, I just don't have any drive to watch it. Partly because fuck Christopher's opinion on how his movie should be seen, and the risks people should be expected to take, during a fucking global plague, and also because of the various quality issues I've seen mentioned over and over.

Also I just, yeah I really just have lost almost all drive to see movies for the last few years...well, really for much longer than that.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That video was interesting enough on its own, but I am more interested in the disclaimer below the video.

"With the support of Creative Europe – MEDIA Programme of the European Union"

I was not aware that the EU sponsored video essayists.