Song Covers that are better then the original?

greyscarf

Sep 24, 2012
I'd have to say Thom Yorke's cover of Roxy Music's "2HB." Don't get me wrong, I worship the original but Bryan Ferry's vocal sounds, well, a little goofy. Thom Yorke's voice has the whole spooky/seductive vibe down.

Also Elliot Smith's cover of Big Star's "Thirteen" is impressively sweet & vulnerable. But I don't know if I could say I love it better than the original.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Word up, y'all!

Cameo's original:

And the greatest cover ever, as brought to you by Gun:

Korn's version was worse than Melanie G's.
fapper plain said:
Northern Kings' cover of Frank Sinatra's My Way.
I will see your Northern Kings and raise you Sid Vicious.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Technically not a cover but:
it is based off the original in at least one way, but I think it's way better.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Jack Savoretti's version of Ring of Fire is in my opinion better than the original, as is Mike Tompkin's version of Paradise by Coldplay and Sam Tsui's of Somebody I Used To Know, both of which are a cappella versions. (Walk Off The Earth's version of the latter is also fantastic.)

Nouw said:
I must know where your avatar is from :3

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I have difficulty picking any one of the covers this man and his associates has done. So many great video-game ones to chose from!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SongeLeReveur/videos?flow=grid&view=0

one of his most recent though, a classic of mario fame.

[youtube]youtube=knrwfTiN6mc[/youtube]

Nov 28, 2007
First, can people with Youtube embeds put them in spoilers? They are making the page very slow to load.

On-topic, these three. First two are embeds in spoilers, last one is the artist.

[spoiler="Mercy Seat" by Johnny Cash (original by Nick Cave)][/spoiler]

[spoiler="Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley (original by Leonard Cohen)][/spoiler]

Third, anything by 311Erock on Youtube.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Dog Day Sunrise, originally by Head Of David and I like it but Fear Factory did an amazing cover of it that I like more.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I can think of seven off the top of my head:

Here's the original by Massive Attack:
Here's the amazing cover/remix by Gui Boratto:
Both version are incredible, but there's just something about the Gui Boratto version that resonates with me more.

This is the original by Bob Dylan, of which is still as impactful as it was in years past:
However, both the Jimi Hendrix and the Bear McCreary versions added more emotion and more grandness to the already great song:

Original by Sarah McLachlan:
Cover/remix by Tom Holkenborg:

Original by Tears for Fears:
Gary Jules cover:

Nine Inch Nails original:
Johnny Cash's absolutely immaculate cover:

Arcade Fire's original version:
Peter Gabriel's dark, grandiose cover:
Peter Gabriel's version still gives me shivers. No matter how many times I hear it.

Metallica original:
Apocalyptica's cover, which just speaks to my soul:

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Take on me by the Northern Kings, basically anything these guys make is both hilarious and good to listen to.

MrGrey

Jul 17, 2011
This is just because I'm more into rock than jazz but Foo Fighter's cover of Baker Street in easily one of my favorite songs. The original is by Gerry Rafferty.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I've got two for you. One is an actual cover. There's a guy that does songs with JUST his voice. He does a little editing for the bass, but that's about it.

And in lieu of the Bad Lip Reading someone posed earlier, I like his version of "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eye Peas. It brought me to tears I was laughing so hard.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
klown said:
Johnny Cash's Cover of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt". That cover is amazing, and so much better. But it is Johnny Cash so of course it is.
I prefer the original, but Cashs version was awesome. Mostly because he relates to the song to his life.

Courier_87

Sep 5, 2011
For me it's:

Emily Browning's version of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) from the Sucker Punch soundtrack
Lacuna Coil's covers of Enjoy the Silence and Losing My Religion
Rammstein's cover of Kraftwerk's The Model and Depeche Mode's Stripped
Reel Big Fish did a fantastic ska/punk version of Take On Me
Johnny Cash's version of Personal Jesus, the gravel in his voice just fits the song for me

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Live and Let Die cover by Guns n' Roses (Axl's voice was tailored for this tune!)

Granted there isn't that much of a difference between the versions, I just like axl's voice better in this one.