Songs/Music that f***ed you up?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Have you ever listened to an album or song that just genuinely creeps you out and makes you incredibly uncomfortable on a very deep level? I listen to pretty intense music fairly regularly (industrial, grindcore, noise rock, black metal, all that kind of shit), but Frankie Teardrop by Suicide still gets me to this day:

AngronIsAngry

Sep 28, 2011
I can't listen to Crowbar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_(American_band) for too long. I find them talented and stylishly distinct, but something about their music just pulls my mental state down.
I'd be willing to bet, that after two days of listening to them, I'd off myself. Then again, it loose that bet either way.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I love Offspring but I still threw away one of their cds when I got it back in the day. I forget the album name but one of the songs was called guillotine and it was about having a fetish for cutting peoples heads off. It was so fucked up, if it wasnt for the fact they didn't write it (unlike the rest of the songs on the album) I probably would have stopped liking them all together.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I listened to a few fucked up bands when I was a kid, but one song really struck me. I loved hardcore/punk/funk/metal, so I was into Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves. Dare say Infectious was probably my favorite band of all time. But the song that, well "fucked me up" is a bit too strong because I was able to laugh about it after a while, and it took my brother pointing it out for me to even realize how sick it was, but it was Suicidal's "I Saw Your Mommy"

That video has the lyrics in the description in case you aren't keen on hardcore. I just loved it though. I only say it "fucked me up" because I was probably a little too young to be listening to it, but not that easily impressionable however much I loved Suicidal.

I also listened to Body Count, Ice-T had some crazy things to rap about. Although I'd listened to a bunch of gangsta rap, it was hard to tell how badly it was exaggerated, Ice-T tho was so hilarious and over the top I'd love listening to it as a kid, thinking I was such a rebel. My parents would've strangled me for real.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I don't know if it really counts, but Pink Floyd's The Wall hits a little too close to home when it comes to my depression. I used to listen to it a lot back in the day, and it just sort of drags you under. It captured my feelings perfectly, though.

One Of My Turns really scared me, because while I would never harm someone, I found myself associating myself rather strongly with a guy whose beating his girlfriend:

Meanwhile Hey You captured my sense of social isolation and hopelessness. The desire for someone to reach in and help you. A desperate cry for there to be some sort of hope that doesn't seem to exist. And then, the narrators statement that Floyd's hopes were all a fantasy, and that the worms ate into his brain. It's pretty demoralizing stuff.

That shits more dire then some edgelord metal band singing about eating fetuses or whatever.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
JohnnyDelRay said:
I listened to a few fucked up bands when I was a kid, but one song really struck me. I loved hardcore/punk/funk/metal, so I was into Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves. Dare say Infectious was probably my favorite band of all time. But the song that, well "fucked me up" is a bit too strong because I was able to laugh about it after a while, and it took my brother pointing it out for me to even realize how sick it was, but it was Suicidal's "I Saw Your Mommy"

That video has the lyrics in the description in case you aren't keen on hardcore. I just loved it though. I only say it "fraked me up" because I was probably a little too young to be listening to it, but not that easily impressionable however much I loved Suicidal.

I also listened to Body Count, Ice-T had some crazy things to rap about. Although I'd listened to a bunch of gangsta rap, it was hard to tell how badly it was exaggerated, Ice-T tho was so hilarious and over the top I'd love listening to it as a kid, thinking I was such a rebel. My parents would've strangled me for real.
I came across these two recently, and they kind of messed me up. The first one? Reminiscent of a Twilight Zone Episode. Enter William, a wannabe hustler that wants a luxurious life. However, to get this, he must...well, I'll just ask this. Have you ever Danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? >=)

Our second one? This is the tale of a man that was sent to HELL, only to be given a last minute reprieve. This is "The Tunnel".

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
ArcaneGamer said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I came across these two recently, and they kind of messed me up. The first one? Reminiscent of a Twilight Zone Episode. Enter William, a wannabe hustler that wants a luxurious life. However, to get this, he must...well, I'll just ask this. Have you ever Danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? >=)

Immortal Technique is a genius, and that song is masterfully written. Given, the impact is really at it's greatest the first time you hear it, which I remember years ago a friend gave me a CD with just this song on it and said check this this out, I drove home "on a rainy night smoking a blunt thru the projects" as in the song, which set the perfect mood for it. But damn is it a good smack up the head for anyone who's thinking of getting the easy way through questionable means, not that you'll end up like poor William but the way it could affect those who care about you at least. Good wakeup for me at the time, so I'd just about say that's the opposite of "fucked you up" haha

[Edit: typo, wrote obvious instead of opposite for some reason]

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I had to stop listening to Simon and Garfunkel for awhile once. Paul Simon gets pretty depressing sometimes: Richard Corey. A Most Peculiar Man. The Boxer. Sound of Silence.

Absolutely great music in small doses, but I wouldn't recommend putting them on repeat for several hours a day.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
BeeGeenie said:
I had to stop listening to Simon and Garfunkel for awhile once. Paul Simon gets pretty depressing sometimes: Richard Corey. A Most Peculiar Man. The Boxer. Sound of Silence.

Absolutely great music in small doses, but I wouldn't recommend putting them on repeat for several hours a day.
Any thoughts on this? It was my first time hearing it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That Immortal Technique track is great, def best the first time. But I guess a lot of the experience of great music is best when it catches you off-guard.
Can't say any tracks caused psychological dents really, or shocked enough to disturb me. Probably down to being subjected to ICP at a young age, one would imagine, that tends to break a cub in. So posting what I would consider shocking on here would only be an assumption of what others may not be used to, then there is the whole black metal (insert all associated sub-genres) scene with boundless access to potentially disturbing material.

Would have to go for ones that hit a emotional weak spot that never knew was there and makes hairs stand on end, which apparently is a rarer physical reaction to music than originally assumed. Music that makes me stop whatever I'm doing, listening or roaring to, to hear more. Music that makes me throw other people's noisy attention seeking brats into rivers just so I can hear what the sweet sorrowful sounds are saying.

NIN - All that could have been.
https://vimeo.com/4745358

Or the chorus really as the verse is fairly muted, the words stuck out and then straight into whatever gland makes the insecuritens of hopeless repressed childhoods.
Breeze still carries the sound
Maybe I'll disappear
Tracks will fade in the snow
You won't find me here
Ice is starting to form
Ending what had begun
I am locked in my head
With what I've done
I know you tried to rescue me
Didn't let anyone get in
Left with a trace of all that was
And all that could have been

Please, take this
And run far away, far away from me
I am tainted
The two of us were never meant to be
All these pieces and promises and left behinds
If only I could see
In my nothing
You meant everything, everything to me

Gone
Fading
Everything
And
All that
Could have been
Could have been

Please, take this
And run far away, far as you can see
I am tainted
And happiness and peace of mind
Were never meant for me
All these pieces and promises and left behinds
If only I could see
In my nothing
You meant everything, everything to me
Remember hearing it on TV quite young, not knowing what it was, the show didn't credit the track. I spent years not knowing how to even begin trying to search for it with only a vague memory of the emotion. Then one day a previous SO had an album playing when it came on. Was very relieved to finally close that mystery for good.

Something to do with the lyrics "Those who have seen the needles eye, now tread. Like a husk, from which all that was, now has fled. And the masks, that the monsters wear... to feed, upon their prey" got to me the first time.
https://vimeo.com/31252538

Please could you stay awhile to share my grief
For it's such a lovely day
To have to always feel this way
And the time that I will suffer less
Is when I never have to wake

Wandering stars, for whom it is reserved
The blackness of darkness forever

Those who have seen the needles eye, now tread
Like a husk, from which all that was, now has fled
And the masks, that the monsters wear
To feed, upon their prey

Doubled up inside
Take a while to shed my grief
Always doubled up inside
Taunted, cruel

1st spoilered link: https://vimeo.com/4745358
2nd: https://vimeo.com/31252538

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Dunno if it actually 'fucked' me up, but I actually burst into tears the first time I heard Leonard Cohen's "Haleluyah". I still consider it one of my top five songs ever.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Putting it in spoilers, just in case. The whole song is written from the POV of Ed Gein. Probably one of the few songs that remotely scared me the first time hearing it.

And I do give a NSFW warning, since song titles can be... unpleasant, to put it mildly.

Mar 26, 2008
Worgen said:
I love Offspring but I still threw away one of their cds when I got it back in the day. I forget the album name but one of the songs was called guillotine and it was about having a fetish for cutting peoples heads off. It was so fucked up, if it wasnt for the fact they didn't write it (unlike the rest of the songs on the album) I probably would have stopped liking them all together.
That would be "Beheaded" off their self-titled album. I put that song down to their early obsession with T.S.O.L ("Code Blue" anyone).

In answer to the o.p, the Ice-T song "Black & Dekker" made me uncomfortable when I first heard it. It was basically a simulation of what it would sound like drilling into someone's skull.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
ArcaneGamer said:
BeeGeenie said:

They did some interesting things with it. Being old fogey-esque, I still prefer the original, but that version is a very good adaptation to their genre. And anything that gives the classics more exposure and accessibility is a good thing.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Anything by the residents.

Sure, I would like an existential crisis at 4 in the morning!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I love the band Suicide. Such a great sound. The last song to really get under my skin was "When I Win the Lottery" by Camper Van Beethoven. I'm pretty sure they make a strong case towards none of us having any free will whatsoever. Terrifying.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
BeeGeenie said:
ArcaneGamer said:
BeeGeenie said:

They did some interesting things with it. Being old fogey-esque, I still prefer the original, but that version is a very good adaptation to their genre. And anything that gives the classics more exposure and accessibility is a good thing.
There was also a tune I heard as the opening to a review show I liked, I checked out, and was...surprised by.